using Sta-bil in cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run my last few tanks of gas mixed with the recommended amount of Stab-bil (1oz. per 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline). My engine runs noticeably quieter with this addtive than without. The company website also claims it is safe (even beneficial) for fuel injectors and will not harm catalytic converters. Has anyone else used this addtive with similar results?

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faqs_stabil.asp

[FYI a 32 0z. bottle of Sta-bil retails for $10.44 in my area]

That's what the product is known for. Sometimes my car sits for a while in the winter, so I thought it would help keep the fuel fresh, and was surprised after using it to see that it made my car run better. The manufacturer also seems to be making some claims similar to that of other fuel addtives [e.g. cleaning the fuel system, removing water, prolonging engine life]

I use it for storing fuel. I use it in every
can of gas for the lawn equipment. I put it in
the boat and PWC for Winter storage and also
store a 1992 Ford Club Waqon over the winter.
Great stuff not a snake oil

Uhhmn, I am starting to think Stabil is snake oil. 2cycle mix will last over a yr without it. I am running an old jeep around the property on 2yr old gas. I will report back to you in the spring when I try to start my mower which I put away with fuel treated with Stabil.

I used it in lawnmowers and an old t-bird that sat for 6 months. They all fired up right away after being stored.

I used STA-bil for years in my 1970's cars. Then found PRI-G and stayed with it until -- a far better product -- I found FUEL POWER (again, after 30-years).

Those carb'd cars with points ignitions are more sensitive to fuel quality and water content, not to mention changing weather conditions. FP simply eliminated fuel-related problems with the ****-poor gasoline of today.

I used Sta-bil in my Daewoo when it was sitting in the parking storage lot for 9 months. I started right up, like it had fresh fuel.

I wouldn't store an engine for more than a month or two without it. I failed to put it in my rototiller a couple years ago (it gets run once a year in the spring). The fuel had a slight varnish smell and I had to empty it and clean the carb before it would run. Now I add it to all my fuel storage cans so I don't have to worry about adding it to the equipment.

I also put it in my 300ZX when I store it during the winter and it always fires right up.

I don't know that products such as fuel power will prevent fuel deterioration during storage, a quick check of their website doesn't say.

Sta-bil, is a good product and works as advertized.

FP60 is even stronger and will stabilize fuel more effectively with a lower treat rate. 1 ounce per 5 gallons. Tan Sedan is right. The new fuels quickly sour and attract water.

One of our oil analysis customers owns a boat sales,repair,and storage business dropped sta-bil in favor of FP60 3 years ago with great results.

I haven't run any car engines with Stabil, but I use it in gasoline for lawnmowers and other small engines. I did try the Amsoil fuel preservative in my car some time back; I didn't notice much difference in how the car ran but it runs pretty good by itself anyway. I did notice the Amsoil stuff had a very pungent odor. I got some on my fingers and it took a couple days to go away. I'm keen to try the FP60 that was mentioned in earlier posts.

I like to keep some amount of gasoline on hand at all times for the backup electrical generator so I need to rotate my stock but I don't want the hassle of having to switch out more than every six months at the most so I use a fuel stabilizer. One thing I noted in the last major power outage in the area is that you can't buy gasoline at most gas stations during a power outage because they don't have electricity either to run the pumps, so if you don't have some on hand your generator might be useless.

What causes fuel to degrade? The most obvious - evaporation - is limited to virtually nothing in any modern car, with fuel injectors that seal off when not in use and closed evaporative recovery systems.

In a carbureted engine or anything with a non-sealed fuel system, the volatile components will evaporate causing progressive deterioration of the fuel, right down to nasty varnish - but in my experience it takes a long time.

But back to modern cars. Unless anybody knows otherwise, I'm assuming that fuel degradation is virtually nothing. Other than evaporation, I can only think of three mechanisms by which deterioration might happen:

1) Settling or separation of chemical components of the fuel. My guess is this doesn't happen in any significant way in "normal" amounts of time.

2) Contamination, such as by water. Again, in a closed system, the only water that could cause this would be the small amount in the air that was admitted the last time the system was opened. In other words, after a year there would be no more opportunity for contamination than after a week.

3) Chemical reaction. Take a sealed, closed container of anything, and nothing can get in, and nothing can get out - but what's in there can rearrange itself chemically. I'd take a wild guess that in gasoline this might mean that more-volatile components would react with less-volatile components, and that the tendency would be to form components of middling volatility. Or perhaps the tendency would be towards generally higher volatility, or generally lower volatility. I'd guess that it would happen rather slowly, and that even after years and years it would be negligible in terms of actual practical effect.

Obviously I'm not an organic chemist. I'd be interested to hear a knowledgeable (or not) opinion on this. I've used Stabil (it's actually kind of expensive IMO) in lawn equipment and occasionally in motorcycles, but never added it to a car, thanks to my speculative opinion above.

- Glenn

Not sure if this info is helpful, but below is an excerpt from Mobil's gasoline FAQ at Mobil Gasoline FAQ

quote:

How long can gasoline be stored?
There is no single answer to the question of how long gasoline can be kept in storage, because the answer depends upon the conditions under which it is stored. Gasoline in storage can change in two primary ways. It can lose light ends (volatile components) and/or it can oxidize. In addition, gasolines blended with ethanol can absorb water and separate into a gasoline layer and another water/alcohol layer.

Gasoline should generally be used within a month of purchase. When the engine will not be used for an extended period of time, the conservative approach is to drain the fuel tank and then run the engine until it stalls. If you choose to store gasoline, keep it in very nearly full (minimizing air contact) tightly sealed metal containers (minimizing the loss of light ends and the availability of humid air) in a cool environment (slowing down the rate of oxidation). Be sure to leave some room in the container to allow for some expansion. Under these conditions, the gasoline would be expected to remain of good quality for at least 6 months.

I was kind of surprised I didn't see any explanation of how gasoline deteriorates on Sta-bil's Web site FAQ.

Lube Control's Web site says 'FP60 also acts as a fuel stabilizer by dissolving carbon deposits and lowering the fuel mixture freezing points in both gas and diesel fuels.'

Chevron has a bulletin about what they call 'longer term gasoline storage'. They say the modes of gasoline deterioration are:
  • Evaporation
  • Oxidation (Gum Formation)
  • Microbial Activity
  • Contamination

Chevron has instructions for when to use a stabilizer (for their gasoline):
quote:

If weather or storage conditions will keep the gasoline warmer than 80°F much of the time, add a fuel stabilizer additive to the gasoline. Fuel stabilizer additives are available at auto supply stores and some service stations and convenience stores. Follow the label directions. The best mixing is achieved when the stabilizer is added to the container before it is filled with gasoline. The stabilizer will work only if it is added to fresh gasoline; it can’t fix gasoline that has started to deteriorate.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/longterm_gasoline/storage.shtml

adal I think you can order it right from the lube control Web site for shipping to Canada. I just ordered some yesterday although I don't live in Canada.

adal I think you can order it right from the lube control Web site for shipping to Canada. I just ordered some yesterday although I don't live in Canada.

The only problem is the shipping cost $28.70 which makes the total cost too pricey.Was hoping to find a Canadian distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back