6k miles overdue on Toyota regular oil (4runner v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out that the 4Runner(2006, V8 4.7) I just got last year has one relatively bad history of oil change. Last owner ignored one oil change and drove 6k miles more on Toyota OEM regular oil (dealer change).

After I got it, the 4runner had 3 oil changes:
(1) castrol GTX on the night I got the vehicle
(2) after 700 miles, Castrol synthetic (non-edge)
(3) after 5000 miles, Castrol synthetic (non-edge)
I always do this after I buy used vehicles.

So, how had could it be for previous owner ignored one oil change? Share your thought and knowledge! thanks
smile.gif

It's not going to be too bad, Sounds like you'll do well enough on your ocis that it will take care of any crud witout you having to do anything special.

Originally Posted By: TERRYDIABLO
I just found out that the 4Runner(2006, V8 4.7) I just got last year has one relatively bad history of oil change. Last owner ignored one oil change and drove 6k miles more on Toyota OEM regular oil (dealer change).

After I got it, the 4runner had 3 oil changes:
(1) castrol GTX on the night I got the vehicle
(2) after 700 miles, Castrol synthetic (non-edge)
(3) after 5000 miles, Castrol synthetic (non-edge)
I always do this after I buy used vehicles.

So, how had could it be for previous owner ignored one oil change? Share your thought and knowledge! thanks
smile.gif

"drove 6K miles more" So a total of 6K or 6K more than normal, so maybe 9K?

You're doomed.

...just kidding.

I think you have to consider a few things: Did the previous owner use good oil? And more importantly did he check the oil level and ADD OIL if when low. (My guess would be that 6000 miles over would have at least some oil burn off)

Either way, there is nothing you can do about it now.

Does it burn any oil between changes?

Although I take meticulous care of my own vehicles, I am a believer that as long as your oil level is kept full and the filter doesn't fail your chances of engine failure are pretty slim. I worked for Scotts Lawn Service for awhile and they took zero care of their vehicles. They had Ford vans with the 5.4 V-8 engines and many of them went at least a couple of years without an oil change and only top offs. They regularly went 20k miles or more without an oil change unless they were in the shop getting another repair done then the manager would tell them to go ahead and change the oil too. We had problems with transmissions and stuff but the engines were pretty tough. Oil was black and cruddy but kept doing its job.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
You're doomed.

...just kidding.

I agree. Pull the engine and rebuild ASAP!
laugh.gif

My cousin owns a 2010 4Runner and does 5K mile OCIs with M1 and FRAM filters.
Why FRAM? He said John Force and Don Garlits uses them.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: TERRYDIABLO
smile.gif

Honestly, as long as they didn't actually run it low on oil, it's very unlikely to have any long term consequences for the engine. That sort of "abuse" only really flaps out an engine when it's sustained over a much longer period. Now that you've got it on a good maintenance schedule it will be fine.
smile.gif

Last edited:
thx for all the replies. I will do another short OCI and hope that clean the engine well.

Last edited:
It's a 2006 and you have had it a year+. I would say if any damage was done on that one long OCI it would have surfaced by now. Don't worry and just move on.

Last edited:
You'll never know the difference. That engine may just be the most durable engine there is. We use one in an industrial application out of a pickup truck and it gets run 8-10 hours a day, 3-4 days a week at 3-5k rpm and full load. It has 3k hours on the Hobbs meter after 20k miles on the road before the truck was totaled and the engine installed in its current application. The oil capacity has been extended from just over 6 quarts to 12 with an oil cooler inside a larger coolant radiator. The oil is Red Line 5w-30 and gets changed about every 125 hours. By motor vehicle standards this service would be considered extreme and the engine is doing fine. We've got a couple of these engines and they have outperformed others that we have tried. We run these engines on CNG and are about to double our oil change intervals. In average street use these 4.7 engines should be running strong when the chassis falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back