Genuine Honda Carb for Chonda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The carb on our snowblower is still a pain. Since I don't need it (I hope) until next winder, I was thinking about buying a Genuine Honda carb for it. The engine is pretty much an exact copy of a Honda GX200 horizontal shaft engine. The carb looks identical too. I'm thinking about calling honda and ordering one, or finding a dealer. Worth it? Should be a direct bolt up I'd think. Anyone with experience with this or thoughts?

I'm guessing you can buy a whole chonda engine for near the price of the honda carb.

Look on ebay for a used one. You'd be suprised.

My Husquavarna Mower has a POS china motor on it. Even though it's a Kohler. So ticked off about that.

I ended up making a few modification to the throttle linkage and hooked up a Honda carb off an Elite 150 scooter. Works flawlessly now. I think I paid $20 shipped for the carb.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

My Husquavarna Mower has a POS china motor on it. Even though it's a Kohler. So ticked off about that.

Kohler has been making a lot of their stuff in Mexico for a long time. I guess China is the next step for them to save themselves more money on an already overpriced engine.
My local mom-and-pop hardware store had a Briggs & Stratton generator in their store this last winter. I had a brief interest in it and thought about buying it until I saw that it was all made in China, including the engine. The last couple of B&S-branded replacement spark plugs that I saw were made in China. These spark plugs were priced about 3X the price of a comparable Autolite spark plug. Anymore, I'm beginning to wonder if there is any reason to buy Briggs & Stratton branded anything.

Look on ebay just to get a pricing idea.

Keep the old carb to play with, I bet you a mcnugget you just need to open your jet up for more fuel.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Kohler has been making a lot of their stuff in Mexico for a long time. I guess China is the next step for them to save themselves more money on an already overpriced engine.
My local mom-and-pop hardware store had a Briggs & Stratton generator in their store this last winter. I had a brief interest in it and thought about buying it until I saw that it was all made in China, including the engine. The last couple of B&S-branded replacement spark plugs that I saw were made in China. These spark plugs were priced about 3X the price of a comparable Autolite spark plug. Anymore, I'm beginning to wonder if there is any reason to buy Briggs & Stratton branded anything.
\

A lot of briggs horizontal stuff (not all) is made in china. But most of their vertical shaft engines are still US-Made. Including our 675 series lawnmower, the 875 series OHV on the pressure washer, and the 21HP Platinum Thumper on the tractor.

Most new B&S engines I see have a big "This engine Made in USA" sticker slapped on their side too.

You can buy a Chinese gx200 adjustable carb on ebay for around $15. A genuine Honda gx200 carb is $70.
In my experience the Chinese carbs are an exact copy of the honda units. I'd probably just buy one of the $15 ones.
Even the oem Honda carbs are known to be finicky. They have small passages and are very sensitive to dirty fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back