Did I harm my MAF sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the Burb's oil change this morning I decided to be productive while the oil drained and clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. I pulled the cans of MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body cleaner off their shelf, read the directions on the MAF cleaner can, pulled the MAF sensor, sprayed away, and then set it aside to dry. I grabbed the can of throttle body cleaner, read the directions, and realized I was holding the MAF cleaner can...and then realized I had used the throttle body cleaner on the MAF sensor! The TB cleaner specifically says not to get it on the MAF sensor, so I quickly sprayed the MAF sensor down with the correct cleaner, hoping to remove any residue that may have been left behind by the TB cleaner (it had already mostly dried). After more dry time and finishing up the oil change I put everything back together and fired her up. No stumbles, idle seems smoother than before, and it has worked fine for the nine miles I have driven since, but am wondering if I might have shortened the MAF sensor's life by spraying it with the TB cleaner or if I should be fine. Thoughts?

I've cleaned the MAF on several vehicles with throttle body cleaner, MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner - whichever I had available. It never hurt them.

You shoul be fine, I used electrical contact cleaner also instead of Maf cleaner. Just don't use brake cleaner, some can melt plastic.

Throttle body cleaner probably has a little oil in it for lubrication, MAF cleaner dries perfectly clean. Using the MAF later should have cleaned the oil off, if not the heater will burn it off. I'm sure you're fine.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Throttle body cleaner probably has a little oil in it for lubrication, MAF cleaner dries perfectly clean. Using the MAF later should have cleaned the oil off, if not the heater will burn it off. I'm sure you're fine.

what heater would do this?

MAF should be OK. Electronic Parts Cleaner and rubbing alcohol also work well on Mass Air Flow Sensors.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What if someone said you did shorten the life of that sensor? It would still not change the fact that what's done is done and there is no sense in pondering what is going to happen. If everything works as it should then everything is ok, at least for now.

I disagree, so your saying if its working for the moment there's no point in worrying if its going to work 10 miles down the road ? If the OP was getting a bunch of responces saying it would shorten the life of his MAF, he could easily buy another and keep it handy for when his fails, or just simply change it out for peace of mind.

There are TWO main types of MAF sensors one is called a hot wire sensor, the other hot film sensor. The wire sensor can tolerate much more harsh chemicals however even those feature a small resistor in that wire, the issue is that certain solvents can damage the delicate epoxy sealant and or plastics that enclose the resistor element or the transistor element in the hot film sensor, TB cleaner is pretty harsh however if he rinsed the residue off quickly with the specific MAF cleaner I seriously doubt any consequential damage was done. Usually the damage from a solvent will be almost immediately noticeable when re-installing it.

You can use either CRC QD Electronic cleaner or MAF cleaner with both giving identical results both are completely safe when used as directed.

I used qtips and eletrical contact cleaner to clean my 02 silverado's maf sensor. No ill effects and in fact tends to run better than the blasting the maf with contact cleaner since there was still crud plus a new acdelco OEM air filter.

Prior owner ran a k&n and well I rather not open that can of worms.

I don't think you shortened its life at all. It's not a wear item and doesn't fail that way.

A MAF is either dirty or clean, failed or not.

When you sprayed it with TB cleaner, it left some residue, which the MAF cleaner should have rinsed off. After letting everything dry, you should be totally fine. Since the truck is running fine with no code, the MAF is happy and not broken. If what you did damaged it, it should be apparent immediately.

If it were to die because of the TB cleaner, it would have been dead by this time. But you rinsed it with MAF cleaner afterwards, so it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back