Need a new leaf blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a new gas powered leaf blower and went and looked at Sears and Lowes. Sears of course was Craftsman's, and Lowes was a Poulan in the price range I was looking. The two models I looked at were $99. Both appeared to be to look about the same so I am assuming they are probably manufactured by MTD?? Is that right?

I know Stihl and Echo are probably the best you can buy but not sure if I need that good of one for my basic residential use. But I can get one for $149 at a local OPE dealer. Would the basic Stilh be that much better than the Craftsman for the extra money? Are Stih's not MTD I assume?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/homeowner-blowers/bg55/

Any thoughts on this Craftsman unit.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-25cc-200-...mp;blockType=G3

Thanks for you time as always. Opinions here are always appreciated.

I had to replace mine two years ago in a hurry and went out and bought the Craftsman. It was on sale for $88 at the time. While it is okay, it certainly does not impress me as a long lasting product.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably go for an Echo. After purchasing one of their string trimmers last year, I'm impressed with the quality and the warranty.

I have an Echo handheld blower, which replaced a cheap, presumably MTD, one. It starts first or second pull. Most important is the difference in how it feels vs the cheaper one. It is well balanced, quiet (it just purrs), and it doesn't vibrate your arm to death. I'm quite happy with it.

I've gone through two junk MTD (Troy-Bilt) blowers in three years. Husqvarna, Stihl, or Echo is the only way to go about it. I'd go with Stihl if I could pick from the three.

My Craftsman push mower is decent, but their 2-stroke OPE is absolute junk.

Given the choice on a brand new one, I'd go for the Echo myself. But we have the craftsman and have had it for a couple years now. This is the one with the infamous poulan 25cc engine that is known for destroying it's rings and losing all compression. Thus far *knocks on wood* it still runs great, and runs clean. I use the Craftsman/Trufuel premix stuff either 40:1 or 50:1 depending on what I can find. they run a LOT cleaner, and no ethanol to destroy the engine. Thus far I'm happy with it.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I have an Echo handheld blower, which replaced a cheap, presumably MTD, one. It starts first or second pull. Most important is the difference in how it feels vs the cheaper one. It is well balanced, quiet (it just purrs), and it doesn't vibrate your arm to death. I'm quite happy with it.

Ditto.

After years of buying the cheapo blowers at Home Depot I finally coughed up for an Echo. Had I bought it in the first place I would have saved hundreds of dollars. Get the Echo and use Echo oil. 89 octane is the fuel requirement.

I have had Echo ES-210 Blower/Shredder Vac for a few years now and It's been trouble free and fun to use.

I run 50:1 Premix in mine (TruFuel)

Last edited:
After using gas hand-held for years (aching wrist), I went and bought a Troy Built backpack and it was way loud, lasted almost a year. (the recoil broke out of the housing).
So I then bought a Echo backpack. Wish I had done that sooner and I should know better.

Seriously, if you are mainly concerned about price go on Craigslist and find a used echo, stihl, redmax, shindaiwa for under $100. It will last at least 10 years with very little maintenance and be a better machine to use than Craftsman/poulan/mtd whatever.

I worked at Lowes one summer to get some exercise. We used backpack blowers to clean the outside lawn and garden area after customers had left. We went through two Troy Built ones before they let us take Husqvarna from stock. No comparison. I bought myself a used Husqvarna rather that get a new MTD product.

Update:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I paid a visit to my local Rural King today which sells Stihl products. They were much more knowledgeable about their product and it just felt like a it would be worth the extra money.

They also had a Stihl promotion going if you bought a six pack of their oil to mix with gas they would extend the warranty from the 2 years to 4 years so that sweetened the deal.

Went with the BG 55. Just a basic model but should be enough for basic residential use.

Thanks again for all your help!

Originally Posted By: exploreco

They also had a Stihl promotion going if you bought a six pack of their oil to mix with gas they would extend the warranty from the 2 years to 4 years so that sweetened the deal.

Just make sure to use Non Ethanol gas.

Ethanol just kills Small Engines.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: exploreco

Just make sure to use Non Ethanol gas.

Ethanol just kills Small Engines.

I wish I could. I was doing that for a while but the last station in town that carried pure gas no longer does and the pure gas website appears to support this now too.

Does that ethanol remover that you mix in the gas do the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back