Oil Leak near filter, how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
::88' GMC Suburban 5.7L 350::
So, I've noticed I have a bit of an oil leak. When I look under the car while it's running I see a drip drip drip of oil coming from the oil filter. After running for about 10 minutes it turns into a very thin continuous stream. I cleaned the filter off on the outside because it was dirty and oily all around. Today I started and ran the car for a minute and the leak started again. Now there is only one line of oil down the outside of the filter. Above that is a steel pipe connection connecting into above the filter. This connector has oil on it(there are actually two pipes, but only one has oil on it). I had cleaned it off somewhat when I cleaned the outside of the filter and now after running it briefly it has oil on it that lines up with the oil on the filter.

I can take a pic if needed, but it's a little annoying getting under the car with a camera.

Any thoughts on what this part is(the name I should look for it by) and/or if I can replace or repair it? I don't have a lift or stands so it's a bear to work under the car(though due to the model there's a fair bit of room), would this be better done by my mechanic?

Will replacing these O-rings require draining/will it drain my oil?

Do I just unscrew the connector and replace the O-Ring?
Should I take the old O-ring out, go to the store and match it up or just get an 'Oil Cooler O-ring'?

Thanks for the replies.

Here's a picture that will hopefully help.
img0308.png

What are Line A and B? Line B has an oil drip on it shortly after starting the car. Line A doesn't get much on it.

I first thought the connection of Line B was the problem but I don't think it is. The oil seems to be coming from above that and dripping onto it and thus also dripping/sliding onto the oil filter. I think the Oil Pressure switch has been replaced recently because it looks clean and I think we had a shade tree acquaintance mechanic work on it. He was not very good and we don't use him anymore(I have a good reliable mechanic now) and TBH I'm not even sure what he did.
Could the oil Pressure switch be causing this due to not being all the way tightened? I tried turning it but couldn't move it.

I don't really want to bring it into my mechanic for this oil problem. I'd much rather fix it myself. Oil is so hard to trace though
smirk.gif

I'm planning on doing an oil change and filter when I open this up to fix it but I want to make sure I find and fix the right area first. Does this picture help say whether or not the Oil Cooler O-ring would be the right fix?

It's a messy job to do, fixing that leak. You get to experience first-hand as used motor oil transforms into a living being who is intent on entering your body through any opening it can find. Have a lot of material ready to wipe yourself off with.

Your oil cooler is going to resemble a small radiator that is close to the engine cooling fan. Lines A and B are connected to it. One line takes oil from the oil pump to the cooler and one line runs the cooled oil through the filter and into the engine. That thing you labeled "Oil cooler" is usually called a sandwich adapter because it is fitted between the engine block and oil filter. The O-ring for the sandwich adapter may be bad.

Lines A and B should replaced. Usually I find engine oil cooler lines at dealers only, but sometimes the aftermarket makes replacements.

Try tightening the fittings into the oil filter adapter. If not, remove the lines, put some teflon tape on them, and reinstall. Get ready for a big mess. ALOT of oil will come out of those lines.

Being a GM product, the oil cooler is in the radiator. Lines A and B are the lines that go to and return from the radiator. The lines themselves like to leak at the rubber joints and at the o-rings at the rad and sandwich adapter (where your filter attaches). Get new fittings from GM for where the lines plug into the sandwich adapter and a gasket and seal for the adapter to block. If you're feeling rich, buy new cooler lines, because if they're not leaking now, they will soon enough.

It's also a good idea to get some new clips if you're not going to replace the whole fitting as it's recommended that you not reuse them.

Alrighty...I think I've got the idea now.

I'm thinking...
Drain oil system,
Remove old filter,
Disconnect Oil Cooler lines,
Remove Sandwich adapter,
Check and replace gasket/o-ring on adapter(this look like the right kind of gaskets?),
Clean adapter connections,
Put Adapter back on,
Reconnect and tighten Oil Cooler Lines,
Put on new Oil Filter(Hand tighten is fine from something I read?),
Refill oil and start car,
Run for a few minutes and check work for leaks.

Sound about right? I think I'll work on it this weekend. Hopefully that will fix the leak.

Ran the car some today after adding 3 qts of oil. Looked under it while it was running and confirmed that it is coming from the connection above that adapter, not the pipes. So it likely is oil cooler adapter o ring.

I'll update after I work on it this weekend.

Originally Posted By: JasonTL
Ran the car some today after adding 3 qts of oil. Looked under it while it was running and confirmed that it is coming from the connection above that adapter, not the pipes. So it likely is oil cooler adapter o ring.

I'll update after I work on it this weekend.

Yeah, my Legend developed the same symptom a few weeks ago and the dealer diagnosed it as the same culprit. Oil cooler O Ring - $24

So, I worked on it tonight.
I'm guessing that o-Ring and gasket shouldn't be cracked/flake off? Lol
I picked up my oil change supplies and Oil Cooler adapter gaskets earlier so I opened it up and put two of the appropriate new ones on. They just sat in the spots but seemed to match the old ones. The old O-ring was flattened and cracked through on one side. The old gasket broke off in pieces and I had to get a paint scraper to get part of it off my oil adapter. After cleaning all the connecting surfaces off with paper towels I put the new gaskets on and put the bolts back on. The two bolts that hold the adapter on I tightened by hand with a socket-screwdriver and then tightened a little bit more with a socket-wrench. I then wiped off the surfaces where the filter connects to and screwed it on. I got it hand-snug and then tightened it a bit more by hand(EricTheCarGuy suggested only hand tight).

The Old filter was a pain in the We-all-know-where to get off. I put my filter socket on it and got my socket wrench and tried turning it - I moved myself. I then put my feet on the driver's tire and held onto my running board with my left and pulled on the socket wrench with my right and finally got it loose. That seemed a heck of alot harder than it should've been.

How tight do you tighten your oil filters?

Oh, and by the time I got things put back together it was dark and dinner was ready so I didn't get to put the new oil in and start her up. I'll do that tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. I'll also post some pics of the old gasket pieces and the o-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back