285/70/17 Load Range E options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These tires are So expensive, and since my truck doesn't get driven much, I've been looking at another used set from CL, but was curious if anybody had an opinion of a specific tire, or if they know of a great deal for maybe just 2? Thanks!

Watch for places that offer a buy 3 get 1 free deal. if buying on craigslist, check for dryrot and make sure you inspect them REALLY good.

Not many options in an E rated tire. I know Toyo and Nitto both make tires in that size and load range.

Unless things have changed,neither BFG or Michelin offer an E rated 285/70/17. I don't believe Bridgestone or Firestone do either.

I can't recommend Nitto's Terra Grappler. While the TGs are some of the best tires I've ever ran traction wise,they're soft and wear fast. I only got about 22K miles out of them on my '07 Ram 3500.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Not many options in an E rated tire. I know Toyo and Nitto both make tires in that size and load range.

Unless things have changed,neither BFG or Michelin offer an E rated 285/70/17. I don't believe Bridgestone or Firestone do either.

I can't recommend Nitto's Terra Grappler. While the TGs are some of the best tires I've ever ran traction wise,they're soft and wear fast. I only got about 22K miles out of them on my '07 Ram 3500.

Wow, I've actually got those tires on there now, got a set of 4 at the wear bars for $100 off CL and have put almost 10k on them.

FWIW, this is also a 2wd truck, so an offroad tread pattern isn't 100% necessary. I'd say fuel mileage is going to be slightly more of a concern, but I want to stick with the wider tire.

do you Actually need a load range E or is D Sufficient.

There are many more choices in D.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Needs E, it's an 8800 lbs GVWR truck. Rear tire pressure spec is 80 PSI. Therefore, yes, must be load range E.

Mastercraft axt
Hankook atm
Fs destination at
[censored] revo2
[censored] dueler at
Cooper zeon ltz
Cooper at3
Cooper st maxx
Bf rugged terrain
Bf all terrain
Sigma trailcutter at2

Check with tire places. I would bet there are a lot of 265/70/17E takeoffs available that would work just fine on your truck.

BFG makes the All-Terrain T/A KO in 285/70-17 Load Range E:

[img:left]
ToyotaLC200_2_19JAN13_zps219185e3.jpg
[/img]

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: Rand

Needs E, it's an 8800 lbs GVWR truck. Rear tire pressure spec is 80 PSI. Therefore, yes, must be load range E.
Check again. These are aftermarket wheels, right? If you run oversized tires you don't need as much air pressure. LT285/70-17 Load Range D tires carry 3195# @ 65 psi. vs. the usual OEM size of LT245/75-16 LR-E 3042# @ 80 psi. Check the wheel's rim width and you might be able to use a narrower tire for a lower cost and still be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back