New 2014 Mazda6 - Which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I'm slated to pick up a new 2014 Mazda6 this afternoon. It is brand new, less than 20 miles on the clock. Dealer is throwing in a couple of Mazda oil filters, so I have that covered.

The engine calls for 0W-20. I'm looking for an oil that is readily available locally; here are my candidates so far...
1) Mazda 0W-20 GF5 w/Moly (by Idemitsu): This oil is intriguing - high VI, boatload of moly, but almost certainly the older (dinuclear?) moly additive. Should be available at the dealer.
2) M1 AFE 0W-20: Widely thought to contain the newer trinuclear moly. Available everywhere oil is sold.
3) PP 0W-20: Also thought to contain the newer trinuclear moly. Available at my local WM.
4) Castrol Edge 0W-20: I don't know much about it, other than it is available at my local AAP.

TGMO would be a good oil, but I don't want to deal with the Toyota dealership in town.

So what do y'all think?

Also, when should I do my first OC? 1k miles? 2k?

I like the Mazda oil but how cheap can u get it? I would probably go with a pretty conservative oci until we get good results on how these DI engines are on the oil and how much fuel dilution ppl are seeing. Given that the oci will or should be relatively low like 5k? I might do PP since it seems to be the cheapest.

Nice car. Post pics in the vehicle section if you have time. Auto or manual?

Back on topic, I'd go:

1) Mazda
2) PP
3) M1
4) Castrol

But there is no science involved, just personal preference.

What does the owner's manual state regarding the factory fill? I'd leave it in for at least a few thousand miles unless it is not specially formulated to facilitate break-in.

Mazda with Moly 0w-20
Toyota 0w-20
Amsoil Signature 0w-20
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
Mobil 1 0w-20
Redline 0w-20
Those are some good ones.

1. Mazda 0w20. Gives the Mazda dealer confidence in your maintenance for warranty purpose.
2. Castrol edge 0w20. Castrol oils have high TBN's and are better than the credit they recieve here.
3. QSUD 0w20 meets all the same specs as the others for less money, which is always good.
4. PP/M1 0w20's both great readily available lubes produced by companies that seem to always make very outstanding oils.

Tried most of those on my 2 cars; bought 2 cases of Idemitsu SM 0w20 Subaru Professional Use oil - a VERY thin lube - even my Honda had a bearing knock on that fill HOT when i tried it.
So far after running Mobil 1 AFE, Idemitsu SM, Castrol Edge w/ Ti, PP and even 5w20 MCSS and Defy 5w20. The best has been QSUD with 1/2 qt of RT5 10w30 hdeo as a AW/EP "booster" and inexpensive to boot(qsud = 21 bucks at wallmart for 5qt jug). I wouldnt doubt thet the protracted break in completeing has something to do with this perception.
Note: The EDGE W/TI 0w20 RAN LIKE A 10W30. MAY BE GOOD FOR A VERY HIGH SPECIFIC OUTPUT ENGINE where you want to stay within the 0w20 grade for warranty but want a thickish cushy oil - WAY WAY TOO PRICEY for me to run it again, THOUGH.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k24a4
Auto or manual?

Auto. I was looking for a manual initially, but I hit several hurdles...
- Manuals are hard to find, and therefore hard to test drive.
- The manual version is not available with bluetooth/touchscreen.
- The auto in this car gets better mileage than the stickshift.
- The 6-speed auto skyactiv tranny feels really really nice.

I also test drove a Charger w/8-speed ZF auto & a VW CC w/DSG auto. The ZF was smooth but had too many gears; the car kept fighting with me during acceleration. The DSG was funky at low speeds. The Skyactiv felt seamless.

What does the owner's manual state regarding the factory fill?

Not sure yet - will find out soon ; )

1) Mazda
2) PP
3) M1
4) Castrol

Agree on the priority of oils.

You have the most leverage with the dealership BEFORE you take delivery. Get them to throw in the Mazda 0W-20 too and perhaps the labor to complete the LOF changes.

The OEM Mazda 0W-20 is the no-brainer first choice.
The only reasonably priced 0W-20 grade that has remotely similar viscosity characteristics is TGMO 0W-20 and you can also get it at your local Lexus dealer is you don't like your Toyota dealer.

If your dealer does good deals on the Castrol OE 0W-20, go with that. It seems to be a more robust oil than you can buy retail (compared to other castrol products).

I would run it but my dealer just charges too much for the changes but they will change my oil for $10 if I provide what I want to use.

PP 0W-20 is going to be your lowest NOACK option if you have the skyactiv engine.

No need for an early oil change.

Last edited:
Your Mazda dealer probably doesn't use the Mazda Moly oil for service. They use whatever bulk 0W-20 they get for cheap. The Mazda Moly oil is parts department only. Some dealers only stock a case of this stuff at a time.

If it were me, I'd choose QSUD, then PP, then M1 AFE, then OE oils like TGMO or the Mazda stuff, although I'd have preference to the TGMO over Mazda stuff as my local Toyota dealer usually has monthly coupons for $5.49/qt or less (with 12qt per coupon limit). I'd also try to keep the oil under a certain cost per quart; hard to justify using anything more than $7.00/qt when the $21/5qt jugs of 0W-20 QSUD would protect your engine just as well in my opinion. My two cents
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If your dealer does good deals on the Castrol OE 0W-20, go with that. It seems to be a more robust oil than you can buy retail (compared to other castrol products).

I would run it but my dealer just charges too much for the changes but they will change my oil for $10 if I provide what I want to use.

PP 0W-20 is going to be your lowest NOACK option if you have the skyactiv engine.

"more robust" means heavier. I don't know of any reason to run a heavier oil than the OEM high moly Mazda 0W-20.
Yes PP 0W-20 likely has a slightly lower NOACK percentage but the trade-off is a much heavier oil on start-up. The theoretical advantage to PP would be if there was a measurable difference in oil consumption between the two oils which I doubt.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: badtlc

"more robust" means heavier. I don't know of any reason to run a heavier oil than the OEM high moly Mazda 0W-20.
Yes PP 0W-20 likely has a slightly lower NOACK percentage but the trade-off is a much heavier oil on start-up. The theoretical advantage to PP would be if there was a measurable difference in oil consumption between the two oils which I doubt.

No, the castrol OE 0w-20 has a higher VI than the retail EDGE options and comes from better basestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back