Why the need for oversized Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been something I've been curious about. Why do some people get oversized filters for their cars/trucks? I thought filters were spec'd to hold the same amount of contaminates (example: P1's hold 13g).

No, not all P1 hold the same amount of contaminates, some models hold more and some models hold less.

If you look at 2 filters of the same brand, if every equals but one is 1" longer than other, the longer filter has more media therefore flow more oil and hold more contaminates.

They also allow more oil in the system. So if the engine wore off 5 parts of iron per mile, then at the end of the mile with 5 QT you would have 1 part per QT. With 6 QTs it would be less than 1 part per QT. Similar with the ability to deal with acids that are produced.

Now you probably are not going to get an extra QT in the system unless you go for a dual bypass filter system.

I like to use the longer variation of what my Nissan specs because here's how little filtering media there is in a spec-size filter.

DSCF2660_zpsd3e4fcda.jpg

I use an M1-209 Mobil 1 oil filter on my Toyota V8 that is a bit longer than the original size filter. My hope is that the combination of a tiny bit more oil and with the larger media area a slower trip across that media by the oil will result in better filter performance and all for the same price. In the real world there may be no difference but it makes me feel better about doing my own maintenance and that's reason enough. It's kind of like driving habits. Every little bit helps.

I don't see why it would matter if you manage to cram an extra 0.1 of a quart into the block with a slightly bigger oil filter. If OCIs are done on a timely manner, why would it matter if you have an extra half a cup of oil in there to handle acids and your PPM of metals floating around??? I don't get it.

I personally use the OEM size filter in all my cars. If the saying is true that oil filters fill up a bit and become more efficient with age, then a bigger oil filter will simply take longer to fill up and become more efficient. Why would you want that?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I like to use the longer variation of what my Nissan specs because here's how little filtering media there is in a spec-size filter.

DSCF2660_zpsd3e4fcda.jpg

Perhaps Nissan knows that the engine sheds barely any metal and that the filter will be just fine...?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
^^
Yep and 20k miles (3 OCI's) are doable on a bigger oil filter.

Dang! ... BOF is going to have a conniption fit if he read this!
lol.gif

DSCF2660_zpsd3e4fcda.jpg

Just big enough for a 15 HP lawn mower IMO. That thing is tiny.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

DSCF2660_zpsd3e4fcda.jpg

Perhaps Nissan knows that the engine sheds barely any metal and that the filter will be just fine...?

Could be ... but I'd be concerned about it having enough flow without putting the filter in bypass, or the oil pump in pressure relief. Maybe the Nissan engines don't have very big oil pumps on them (?).

Yeah, get an over sized filter and change it twice as often as the car manufacturer says. That's the BITOG way.
grin.gif

I don't quite understand it though.....why wouldn't the manufacturer spec the larger filter then? lol. Now I have seen in the FRAM catalog at Walmart, some vehicles will actually spec 2 different oil filter sizes.....typically if theirs a towing package, FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD....etc....

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
'Cause we're 'muricans! Bigger HAS to be better.

Yeah! Beer and guns! USA! USA!

Don't forget oil filters and you have to have a BIG air filter to.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
This has been something I've been curious about. Why do some people get oversized filters for their cars/trucks? I thought filters were spec'd to hold the same amount of contaminates (example: P1's hold 13g).

Ask a woman that same Q?, just not from the filter aspect, and you will know.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
^^
Yep and 20k miles (3 OCI's) are doable on a bigger oil filter.

Dang! ... BOF is going to have a conniption fit if he read this!
lol.gif

NEVER! Not in this lifetime or even in the next.....even if I come back as a FU!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not sure why you'd care about the reasons behind why someone wants to use a bigger filter, unless you were thinking of doing it yourself.

In my book the bigger the better when it comes to flow and filtration. You can't get around the physics of how some things work.

I don't think it's the quintessential American "bigger is better" attitude coming into play, at least not without some reasoning behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back