How are toyota oil filters compared-aftermarkets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a toyota oil filter other day from dealer. Forget who makes it, but said maid in tiawan. Its a black filter, for $6.79. i have done research here and forums, like on mobil oil filters, fram extend guards, napas ect..i do my own changes every 3 months(LOTS of stop n go traffic, oil is always thick black, and 1,000 miles only). Right now i have a fram extend guard, and like it alot. seems to be very good at oil flow, and filtration. the napa white ones are also rated exxcellent, for a fraction of the cost, also at oil flow and filtration. but for the toyota one..how does it compare too those?

Toyota aftermarket filters (the ones you buy from the dealer) are indeed made by Denso and are considered very good. Toyota seems to favour flow over efficiency, and millions of Toyotas have the body disappear before the engine goes bad, so they may be on to something.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Toyota seems to favour flow over efficiency

Honda does the same thing. And that's because, below a certain size, particles are not harmful to the engine.

Toyota and Honda also have to consider people who don't change their oil often enough: it's better to assure flow at all times, even under adverse conditions, than to trap every possible particle and end up possibly with starvation.

that's funny because my local Toyota dealership has a giant display comparing the fram and other after market filters to the toyota and they all (air filter and oil) stress how much better the Toyota filters is as filtering contaminates.

If I remember correctly the Toyota air filter has a "3 layer" media vs the competition making it 98.9% efficient.

I know this much- the OEM filters especially air filters FIT much better than the aftermarket in in my experience. And in my area they are seldom more expensive, which makes it a better value.

-And as far as spark plugs go, I only use the OEM plugs.

Last edited:
Run a PureOne or FRAM Ultra and get the best of both worlds ... filtering efficiency and flow.

This is discussed every week - try the seach for comprehensive discussions with comparitive data.
Personally I dont like the performance of toyota service part Denso made in Thailand on our rv4 or Yaris a few years ago. The OE factory Japan Denso foam-media oil filters are excellent in use and the VVTi works as designed - not so with the Thailand units a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

-And as far as spark plugs go, I only use the OEM plugs.

Toyota factory installed plugs are NGK and Denso brands that you can get almost anywhere...I've read where one person had 3 NGK and 3 Denso plugs in the V6.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Personally I dont like the performance of toyota service part Denso made in Thailand on our rv4 or Yaris a few years ago.

What didn't you like about them?

This is WAY ol news but very noisey engine at all times and very poor performance. Swapping in a rinsed out old Japon Denso fixed the stituation immediately. Same issues on either a RAV 4 2az or the Yaris 1nz motor. Suzuki engines had the same ISSUE WITH Idonesian DENSO FILTERS ON THEIR ENGINEs AROUND THE SAME TIME.

This is WAY ol news but very noisey engine at all times and very poor performance. Swapping in a rinsed out old Japon Denso fixed the stituation immediately. Same issues on either a RAV 4 2az or the Yaris 1nz motor. Suzuki engines had the same ISSUE WITH Idonesian DENSO FILTERS ON THEIR ENGINEs AROUND THE SAME TIME.

Interesting. Any guess as to why one of the supposedly least restrictive filters gave you engine noise? Did Japanese Denso's solve the noise problem?

I have used Thailand Denso's for the last couple of oil changes in a 2003 Rav4 and a 99 Mazda Protege without any noticeable difference from the WIX filters I have used previously.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Run a PureOne or FRAM Ultra FU and get the best of both worlds ... filtering efficiency and flow.

I fixed it for you.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Run a PureOne or FRAM Ultra FU and get the best of both worlds ... filtering efficiency and flow.

I fixed it for you.
crackmeup2.gif

Thanks "FU Master" ...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

Interesting. Any guess as to why one of the supposedly least restrictive filters gave you engine noise? Did Japanese Denso's solve the noise problem?

I have used Thailand Denso's for the last couple of oil changes in a 2003 Rav4 and a 99 Mazda Protege without any noticeable difference from the WIX filters I have used previously.
WITHOUT RIGOROUS TESTING, i MIGHT ONLY GUESS THE MIXED MEDIA RESIN BINDER WAS OVER APPLIED AND THE FILTER WAS MORE RESTRICTIVE THAN SPEC. MAYBE A LARGE LOT OF BAD UNITS WERE RELEASED. WHEN i PERFORMED THE #1 OCI REPLACEING THE oe FILTER WITH THE THAI DENSO - THE ENGINE NOISE WAS SO BAD I THOUGH I LOST PUMP PRIME. PUTTING ON ANOTHER NEW THAI DENSO 90915-YZZF2 THE ENGINE STILL HAD EXCESSIVE NOISE AND LOST POWER. FRUSTRATED I PUT ON A RINSED OUT 90915-10003 jAPON DENSO AND PROPER OPERATION IMMEDIATLEY RETURNED. IIRC UNLIKE TOYOTA, LEXUS USE THE JAPON DENSO NOT THE THAI DENSO FOR SERVICE PART - SO WE MIGHT CONCLUDE ITS NOT A "BREAK IN ONLY" FILTER (AS SOME HAVE SUGGESTED) EMPLOYING FOAM DENSITY MEDIA RATHER THAN ENGINEERED "PAPER"

Last edited:
WITHOUT RIGOROUS TESTING, i MIGHT ONLY GUESS THE MIXED MEDIA RESIN BINDER WAS OVER APPLIED AND THE FILTER WAS MORE RESTRICTIVE THAN SPEC. MAYBE A LARGE LOT OF BAD UNITS WERE RELEASED. WHEN i PERFORMED THE #1 OCI REPLACEING THE oe FILTER WITH THE THAI DENSO - THE ENGINE NOISE WAS SO BAD I THOUGH I LOST PUMP PRIME. PUTTING ON ANOTHER NEW THAI DENSO 90915-YZZF2 THE ENGINE STILL HAD EXCESSIVE NOISE AND LOST POWER. FRUSTRATED I PUT ON A RINSED OUT 90915-10003 jAPON DENSO AND PROPER OPERATION IMMEDIATLEY RETURNED. IIRC UNLIKE TOYOTA, LEXUS USE THE JAPON DENSO NOT THE THAI DENSO FOR SERVICE PART - SO WE MIGHT CONCLUDE ITS NOT A "BREAK IN ONLY" FILTER (AS SOME HAVE SUGGESTED) EMPLOYING FOAM DENSITY MEDIA RATHER THAN ENGINEERED "PAPER"

I am now deaf from all this hollering!
lol.gif

J/K.
thumbsup2.gif

I just finished changing the oil in my 04 Camry V6 and used a new Longacre filter cutter to inspect the Toyota filter. The filter looks like it is very well made. Denso also makes their own filter for my engine, but they use a silicon ADBV. The Longacre filter cutter looks like a quality piece, but upon closer inspection, I found that they used a 10x32 machine screw with no grip for the cutter wheel axle. That works, but I don't like the idea of anything turning on threads. Solved that problem by finding a 10x32 allen head machine screw with a grip so that the cutter wheel turns on a solid axle. Had to do some shortening and threading to get the right dimension ,but now my filter cutter works just like the tube cutters I have had for years. Regards

Originally Posted By: Doog
I buy what is on sale. But I only plan to keep my cars to 200,000 miles.

Doog, If you're only going to keep your car to 200K, why bother to change the oil or filter at all.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's a measure of how much things have changed when someone says they "only" plan to keep cars to 200K you're not sure if their "only" characterization is serious.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Originally Posted By: Doog
I buy what is on sale. But I only plan to keep my cars to 200,000 miles.

Doog, If you're only going to keep your car to 200K, why bother to change the oil or filter at all.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's a measure of how much things have changed when someone says they "only" plan to keep cars to 200K you're not sure if their "only" characterization is serious.

As long as he changes the filter every OCI.....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As long as he changes the filter every OCI.....
Better yet:

1. Remove filter
2. Rinse out with kerosene
3. Reinstall
4. Wallah: lifetime oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back