Running Delo 400 oil in petrol engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 1996 Daihatsu Charade with a 1.3L HC-E engine, it has done 97 thousand kilometers (60 thousand miles).

I changed the oil few weeks ago and it was pure black, I put some Shell Helix HX5 15-40w in it and did about 500km in it and changed the oil again. Just in 500km the oil was very dark brown (not far off black) and when I was pouring the used oil back in to the bottle I noticed a small chunk of sludge go in there. Another thing is the bottom of the container I was using to catch the oil had metallic flecks in it, nearly like glitter. That didn't happen the first time I changed the oil, should I be worried about that? I thought the filter should have caught any small particles.

I plan to do about another 500km and change it again as I am sure it has been neglected and will be filthy again.

The reason I am posting in heavy duty oils is because I have access to unlimited Delo 400 multigrade oil, my car specifies API of SE or higher (15-40w is recommended in the manual for my climate) so I am thinking about using it perhaps for a few flushes, my oil filters cost only $1.86 each so its pretty cheap and only takes 10 mins or so. Will it be OK to use the Delo 400, perhaps even permanently?

Thanks for any advice.

If I lived in Australia and had access to free Delo I'd run it in every vehicle I owned. Yes, even my Prius would get Delo if it were free. I'm not kidding at all.

Also, the chunk of sludge may have dislodged itself from the oil pan. If the oil pan is easily accessed and removed you may want to manually clean it out. Clean the oil pickup screen as well.

Originally Posted By: JRed
If I lived in Australia and had access to free Delo I'd run it in every vehicle I owned. Yes, even my Prius would get Delo if it were free. I'm not kidding at all.

Also, the chunk of sludge may have dislodged itself from the oil pan. If the oil pan is easily accessed and removed you may want to manually clean it out. Clean the oil pickup screen as well.

+1, yep use the delo, change it often till it clears up. Amazing stuff.

My father has run 15w-40 HDEO (Shell, Kendal & D A Lubricants) with standard NAPA and Baldwin filters in his 1991 Chevy Suburban for almost all of the 360,000 miles that show on the odometer, and it still runs pretty good!

Thanks for the replies guys, based on these answers I will go ahead and use it next time I do a oil change maybe next weekend.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My father has run 15w-40 HDEO (Shell, Kendal & D A Lubricants) with standard NAPA and Baldwin filters in his 1991 Chevy Suburban for almost all of the 360,000 miles that show on the odometer, and it still runs pretty good!

My Daddy did the same.Free Rotella from work went in every engine we had.

Hey mate. I'm in Melbourne.
I use Delo 400 Multigrade in my Ford Festiva (1.5) and my girlfriends Mazda 121 (10,000km). Used to use it in a mate's BA falcon with LPG until he sold it (15,000).
I also use it in my Yamaha R6 trackbike (3 trackdays) and my TTR250 dirtbike (3 rides). I used to use it in my now sold Triumph 1050 speed triple.

I buy it in 20l containers for about $100 which is $5 per litre which is about as expensive as [censored] oil from Autobarn or supercheap.

So to answer your question, yeah, you're fine using it for the charade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back