2007 F-150 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sister recently acquired this truck, single cab, 4.2 V6, 43,000 miles. runs excellent, recently changed the oil with VWB 5W20 and a napa gold for cleaning phase, unknown oci history. calls for 5W20, but id rather not use it. So, what would be my best choice out of GC 0W30, Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, Rotella 10W30, or M1 0W40 Euro? truck gets driven 3 miles in the morning to her managers house, where she then rides with him to work, then 3 miles back in the evening. The reason i included the thicker oils is, more often now, Shes been taking it to work, a 25 mile drive one way, and on the return trip it sees speeds of 90-95 mph for a 20 mile stretch (to beat traffic, no shes not crazy, 99% of people who work there drive the same, Port Fourchon, one of the nations largest oil ports) and i figured the ol 4.2 V6 can use all the protection it needs. It calls for 6 quarts but 7 quarts puts it at full. Yall the experts, so what should i run in it?

As an F150 owner, I'd advise you to use the 5w20. I dont know why, but my truck never runs as well running a 30w. But, if you are dead set on a 30w, Id have to go with AFE 0w30

I would not be paranoid about the 5W20 grade. Ford tested the engine with a 5W20 oil under more strenuous circumstances than what your sister is doing. I would recommend driving a different vehicle though if you are driving 90mph daily a pickup is not the correct vehicle for that application. IMO of course.

As long as you can keep them from blowing head gaskets, the 4.2s are pretty stout engines. Not that powerful though.

I'd be concerned about going 90 in a pickup truck ...

GC 0w30.

And a pickup can easily go 90 all day long if it's flat and straight, without any worries unless it's geared for towing.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
GC 0w30.

And a pickup can easily go 90 all day long if it's flat and straight, without any worries unless it's geared for towing.

It's not the mechanicals ... it's turning or stopping quick.

They will just roll on top of what they were braking and swerving to avoid. No biggie..
Or in my case, If I'm doing 90mph in the left lane and you pull out in front of me going 57mph...CRUNCH..speed bump. I have a full bumper replacement and will use it when nessissary

My 4.2 in my 2000 did best on plain old Chevron 10w30.

There are a couple of UOAs posted for the vehicle on here, way back somewhere
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I used 10W-40 in the company issued '99 E-250 with a 4.2, was sent to another unit at 135K, still ran perfect...

Finally, an area where my knowledge will be useful, I hope.
I am on my 2nd F150 with the 4.2 V6. My first one was a 97 and oh what a joy that engine was. GOOGLE it and hold on when you start reading about it.
Now, let's talk oil capacity first. The 4.2 was produced from late 1996 to 2008. The oil capacity, with filter, has ALWAYS been 6 qts., no more, no less. Some 4.2 owners think FORD made a few oil pans to just hold 7 qts. and threw the mold away. I think not! Every OCI with 6 qts. usually registers just above half way in the cross hatched area on the dipstick, where it reads "ADD and FULL." You must have one of those 4.2s with the rare 7 qt. oil pan.
lol.gif

Now, oil wt. Yes, FORD now specs 5W20 for the 4.2 and even back spec'd it for earlier years also. But, the 4.2 has NEVER changed its factory clearances and tolerances since first being produced in 1996. That being said, you can use XW30 in any flavor you choose and NEVER hurt the engine. Why 5W20? "CAFE"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

So, you only need 6 qts. of oil and can sleep at night using ANY XW30 you desire.
smile.gif

BTW, what part of Louisiana are you in? Avoyelles Parish here.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Finally, an area where my knowledge will be useful, I hope.
I am on my 2nd F150 with the 4.2 V6. My first one was a 97 and oh what a joy that engine was. GOOGLE it and hold on when you start reading about it.
Now, let's talk oil capacity first. The 4.2 was produced from late 1996 to 2008. The oil capacity, with filter, has ALWAYS been 6 qts., no more, no less. Some 4.2 owners think FORD made a few oil pans to just hold 7 qts. and threw the mold away. I think not! Every OCI with 6 qts. usually registers just above half way in the cross hatched area. You must have one of those 4.2s with the rare 7 qt. oil pan.
lol.gif

Now, oil wt. Yes, FORD now specs 5W20 for the 4.2 and even back spec'd it for earlier years also. But, the 4.2 has NEVER changed its factory clearances and tolerances since first being produced in 1996. That being said, you can use XW30 in any flavor you choose and NEVER hurt the engine. Why 5W20? "CAFE"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

So, you only need 6 qts. of oil and can sleep at night using ANY XW30 you desire.
smile.gif

BTW, what part of Louisiana are you in? Avoyelles Parish here.

Was going to say... 7qts seems high for a 4.2L as my 5.4L used 7qts.

I miss my F-150
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord
Was going to say... 7qts seems high for a 4.2L as my 5.4L used 7qts.

I miss my F-150
frown.gif

On other FORD truck websites where I am a member, this Q? came up ALL the time. And, we had to set the OP straight. Some listened and some swore FORD made that "infamous" 7 qt. oil pan for the 4.2, in limited quanities.
crackmeup2.gif

I know it doesnt have a 7 qt oil pan, 6 qts just never put it full. ill either go with QSUD 5W30 or Rotella 10W30. BlueOval, im from Lafourche Parish, Golden Meadow to be exact.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I know it doesnt have a 7 qt oil pan, 6 qts just never put it full. ill either go with QSUD 5W30 or Rotella 10W30. BlueOval, im from Lafourche Parish, Golden Meadow to be exact.

Save the extra $4 plus for the extra qt. of oil. It don't need it.
thumbsup2.gif

Ah, good ole' Golden Meadow. Speed Trap city of the US!
grin.gif

I have relatives in CutOff. My brother has a boat slip at Grand Isle, where he keeps his boat year round.

Its funny you guys mention the oil pans. Didn't ford just make the dipsticks shorter in 01 or something like that. And all the 4.6\5.4 engines have an oil pan that holds 7 quarts.
I know for certain that my old Windsor 2v oil pan will hold 7 quarts and the level is still below the top of the pan,but the dipstick reads above the full mark but my 04 4V reads perfect with 7 quarts,but the oil pans are identical.
Which tells me that ford changed the length of the dipstick not the size of the pan,including the 4.2 engine.
So I would rather run the 7 quarts which potentially can extend the PCI rather than run 6. More oil in sump is just naturally better from where I sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back