Mobile 1 Oil filter w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, it is MOBIL, not mobile.

That filter looks fine, did it's job as intended.

I would not worry about it. As long as it is not teared or show any signs of the filtration material failing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: badtlc
It is from expansion due to moisture absorption.

I'm wondering if full synthetic media is less sensitive to moisture and the resulting expansion (?).

Syn media is pretty well immune to moisture as long as whatever glue or potting use is also immune to it. That filter looks crushed more than distorted from water to me but you could tell by looking down the center tube. If you see collapse or signs of crushing there, that may tell you something. But since the M1 is a cellulose blend, it is somewhat vulnerable to moisture. Then again, it may be perfectly normal... but it doesn't look that way to me.

FoxS: Do you know why MB dictates fleece filters only? No reason I can think of. AFAIK, fleece is not inherently better than anything else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
FoxS: Do you know why MB dictates fleece filters only? No reason I can think of. AFAIK, fleece is not inherently better than anything else.

The OEM equivalent (Mann HU 718/5x) fleece filter is synthetic. I guess MB feels that this type of media handles extended OCIs better.

That M1 filter looks like cellulose, even though it's supposedly synthetic as well.

By the way, the reviews of this M1 filter on Amazon aren't encouraging. One reviewer noted the same problem as the OP.

Considering that the OEM Mann is actually cheaper than the M1 equivalent, I don't know why anyone would even bother with M1 in this application.

Here's a blurb from MB's website, alas, it's mostly marketing gibberish...

Quote:

Fleece Oil Filter

The use of a Genuine Mercedes-Benz Fleece Oil Filter helps ensure optimum engine lubrication and maximized fuel efficiency. Hazardous dirt particles, as small as 0.005 mm are filtered out consistently and at very high filtration rates. As a result, clean oil is fed to the engine, thereby considerably extending its service life.

Further advantages to using Genuine Mercedes-Benz fleece oil filter include:

- The ability to absorb 20% more dirt than a conventional paper filters

- A highly durable filter medium that helps protect against material degradation in difficult operating conditions (e.g. high temperatures, short-distance operation, etc.)

- Easy servicing and ensured installation that can prevent problems like interior leakage that may occur when using copied parts

- Environmental compatibility to make optimum recycling of the materials possible

I don't think that is normal or acceptable, especially in a filter meant for extended OCI's. It would not happen on say their bike filters where they have a steel tube running down the middle or some other filters that use metal reinforcements inside. I use M1 EP spin on filters and will be cutting one open soon. I hope it does not look like that. Just my opinion.

So this is an M1 filter?
Does that "crushing"affect Its filtering ability?
I'm not sure I'd condemn the whole filter before I heard what Mobil has to say however if this was a fram filter there would be 15 pages of "I told you so" and guys saying the filter is a failure and may have let unfiltered oil run through the engine and many many more reports that the ocod may have killed your engine,but this is a Mobil filter,so no question it should be fine.
Just sayin......................

What I do know about fleece is that it's more or less a bybred. It's a lofted fitler and unlike cellulose, it's a depth media. In that regard, it's very much like a lofted synthetic media but with natural fibers instead of synthetic. Because they are natural fibers, they are inconsistent in size, so fleece is a little less efficient, flows a little less and has less capacity than a full syn media. I retract part of my statement above that fleece is "no better than anything else" and amend with, "it fits between a typical cellulose media and a full syn lofted media." It would certainly be a candidate for an extended OCI.

A though just struck me and I wonder if in Euro-speak a "fleece" filter is really just another word for a fully syn lofted media? They are similar in concept. Some fleece fitelr use a wire-backed media with pleats and look very much like what we know as a syn?

32.gif
JA, what does AFAIK mean?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
32.gif
JA, what does AFAIK mean?
confused2.gif

As Far As I Know

Seems according to MB world virtually everyone (except it seems Mobil) is repackaging Mann seems little reason to go with something else...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So this is an M1 filter?
Does that "crushing"affect Its filtering ability?
I'm not sure I'd condemn the whole filter before I heard what Mobil has to say however if this was a fram filter there would be 15 pages of "I told you so" and guys saying the filter is a failure and may have let unfiltered oil run through the engine and many many more reports that the ocod may have killed your engine,but this is a Mobil filter,so no question it should be fine.
Just sayin......................

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR !!! ^^^^^this time your spitballing is right on target
and I do not think this is normal at all

I'm going to venture a guess that it did it's job just fine..the media is bent but doesn't look torn.

With that said, I would not like seeing that coming out of my Benz.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
I would not worry about it. As long as it is not teared or show any signs of the filtration material failing.

03 BMW 525i M54 - / Everclear 10W-30
10 BMW 530i N52K - / MaxiGuard 10W-40

LOL at your choice of oils! Are they LL-01 compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back