New take off/Sensen/Monroe/KYB shocks-struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the shocks and struts on my Mustang big-time. I already bought the GT-500 strut mounts (the old GT ones pop).

I have the option to get New take-off shocks and struts. All four are 100 dollars out the door. They are taken off brand new Mustangs when Saleen and Roush buy the cars and replace them with high performance pieces. They sell the originals to companies, and then are re-sold.

Would there be anything wrong with getting the new take off shocks and struts? I'm looking to save some money.

I was also looking at Rock Auto and see SenSen is the cheapest option, followed by Monroe and then KYB. Then there are the real expensive pieces, that I can't really afford at the moment.

So what do you think about my suspension options? What would you choose? I am looking for a stock replacement. The roads in NYC/LI are unforgiving as it is, I don't need anything stiffer.

Thanks!

I would want the OE take off struts if they are priced good and really are low milage and in good condition. And also are off the same model, GT, base etc. I don't think you can beat the ride quality, fit and over all quality of the OE dampers. Other than that probably Monroe sensatrac would be the best choice for comfortable ride and price.

I vote for new take offs. Assuming they don't get banged up on removal or during shipping, they should be totally fine. Monroe and KYB seem to be hit or miss, so the OE takeoffs should be a more sure bet.

You can buy a full set of sensen shocks and stuts for just about any car for around $160/$170 on apxautoparts.com
I just put them on my sonata and made a huge improvement over the kybs that were on it much stiffer. So it may actually be cheaper to get the sensen s but stock is always nice too.

For that price, I would say its 100% worth the risk and since they have next to no miles, I would say there isn't even a risk.
Seems like a good plan to me.

You have a nice car, so I'd spring for a set of Koni Yellows to make it handle like a Mustang should.

I've actually put a lot of thought into this as my next car may very well be a Mustang GT of that vintage. Pick a set of sport springs, Koni Yellows, and a Watt's link and you end up with a very nice to drive Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back