help finding bigger oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car only requires 4.5 quarts of oil, but i usually use 5. works fine with the stock filter size, but i was wondering if anyone could help me find a longer or bigger filter that would fit and work the same, but hold a little extra oil. For example: i used to have an F body camaro and i could put a chevy truck filter on there if i wanted too because they would fit the same way, the truck one was just longer....I've had no luck and the guys at part stores are just dumb...Thanks in advance

this is for my 2006 kia optima lx 2.4 L (2359cc) (6)

Why are you intentionally running a half quart over on a regular basis?

You need to find a filter with a M20x1.5 thread and a matching gasket and bypass setting. I can't think of one off the top of my head. The parts counter guys have nothing to show them what the specific specs of a filter are, only what is supposed to fit your car.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Why are you intentionally running a half quart over on a regular basis?

You need to find a filter with a M20x1.5 thread and a matching gasket and bypass setting. I can't think of one off the top of my head. The parts counter guys have nothing to show them what the specific specs of a filter are, only what is supposed to fit your car.

Honestly, because i'm too lazy to measure out a half quart
blush.gif
coffee2.gif

I've read numerous great reviews about the OEM factory Kia oil filter. I'm so impressed with the reviews that I bought a few to use on my Honda. The can feels strong and the oil filter is quite heavy for its size. For $5.00 a filter I think it's a great bang for the buck.

Jeez, you do not need to measure out half a quart. Just open a quart and pour until it is half gone. Even if you are off an ounce or two or three, that is better than simply dumping in extra half quart. Save the half quart for top off or the next oil change half quart. Doesn't take a genius.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Jeez, you do not need to measure out half a quart. Just open a quart and pour until it is half gone. Even if you are off an ounce or two or three, that is better than simply dumping in extra half quart. Save the half quart for top off or the next oil change half quart. Doesn't take a genius.

I kind of assumed that he was using 5 qt jugs, and didn't feel like having some big jug sitting around looking stupid with a pint of oil in it.

Your filter is an equivalent to the Fram series 9688 filters. I don't know of a larger filter for that off the top of my head either, but you can search it on Fram's site and get the exact specs then see if you can find another that matches in gasket, threads and bypass settings but is longer. That is a hard way to do it though.

Your KIA is one that is covered by the TSB that recommends OEM filters due to possible engine knock. Just an FYI as you might have issues with some aftermarket filters.

Sorry tonydoc, milkboy is right on the money. But like I said before the filter isn't a necessity, just looking at options. I honestly think it runs a hair better with the extra oil and luckily I haven't noticed any oil leaks or consumption of any kind (knock on wood). The only reason I was looking at these options was because of longer OCIs and that extra half quart. May just stick with oem size, seems to get the job done. What about the filter brands, Im probably going to start using Bosch Premium Filters after this current OCI is over, anyone have anything against these?

And thanks for the heads up KCjeep

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc

My sons 96 Corolla holds 3.8 qts. with filter but he has always put in 4 qts. I can't see leaving about an 1/8 of a qt. of oil sitting around.
smirk.gif

would that fit though?

their website describes my oem as:

Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSID By-Pass Valve

Fits: Chrysler, Dodge, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks

Replaces: Mitsubishi MD352626, MZ690116; Hyundai 26300-35500, 26300-35501

Thread: M20 x 1.5

O.D.: 3 1/32 (77.0)

Length: 3 7/16 (87.3)

and descries the one you just mentioned as:

Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits: Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks
Replaces: Ford E37A-6714-BA; Mazda S213-23-802
Thread: M20 x 1.5
O.D.: 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length: 5 3/8 (136.5)

The goal of the OP is to find a filter that has an net volume increase of .5 quarts, so that he does not have to have a partial jug laying around. Therefore any filter "upgrade" cannot simply be a "bit" bigger; it has to be at least half a quart larger! That is a tall order (pardon the pun) for this application.

Also - we really don't know about his OCI plan overall; he did indicate he might consider extending OCIs. So, what's he going to do for "top off", go buy another quart so he can have a smaller partial bottle? Isn't that self-defeating the original purpose?

Last edited:
It might be possible to gain close to a quarter of a quart, which would only leave him overfilled another quarter, a non issue IMO.

But I dumped a full 5 qt jug in our 4.5 qt capacity Chevy's for years without any issue. That was before oil/filters got a little obsessive though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The goal of the OP is to find a filter that has an net volume increase of .5 quarts, so that he does not have to have a partial jug laying around. Therefore any filter "upgrade" cannot simply be a "bit" bigger; it has to be at least half a quart larger! That is a tall order (pardon the pun) for this application.

Also - we really don't know about his OCI plan overall; he did indicate he might consider extending OCIs. So, what's he going to do for "top off", go buy another quart so he can have a smaller partial bottle? Isn't that self-defeating the original purpose?

i don't normally do a "top off" unless for some reason some of the oil went missing from the engine lol. The "bigger" filter doesn't necessarily have to hold an entire extra half quart. just significantly more than oem. But like i said in the beginning of this, This isn't something that has to be found. It runs fine with oem and 5 quarts, just trying to see some options. From my understanding, when you have a bigger filter, you increase the amount of filtering media, which is more of what i'm aiming at with the extra half quart and extended OCIs....i'm sorry if i havent been specific enough. Really appreciate all the input guys, so does this extra info help everyone understand what i was getting at now....
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back