Gasket sealant/dressing for t-stat, yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of replacing the t-stat on my truck soon. I replaced it once a few years back and used a gasket sealant on the cut paper gasket. It didn't do any harm, but I am wondering if it's really necessary or if I would be doing just as well/better by not using it. I think I used Permatex High Tack last time.

I don't need anything to hold the gasket in place. It's a very straightforward t-stat...aluminum neck bolts to aluminum intake manifold and is mounted horizontally. The only reason I would be using it would be to help the gasket seal better, if that's even necessary. I'm not sure if it is.

On old school paper gaskets i always use a thin coat of Indian Head shellac on them.
I guess i'm just old school like the gaskets, never had one leak though.

I agree with Trav.. I've used Indian Head for years and its never let me down. Although I'll probably get flamed for this, I also add a thin coat to hoses when I install them and have never had a cold-water leak nor the need to re-tighten a clamp. Old hoses come right off without difficulty.

I'm with Trav. I have a spray that Permatex makes, it's red. When I do a thermostat I spray both sides of the gasket and the mating surfaces of the block and thermostat housing with it. I've haven't had a leak yet using that stuff.

Lay a straight edge across the ears of the housing to make sure it's not warped. A few strokes with a mill file can make the difference between leak and no-leak.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Trav
On old school paper gaskets i always use a thin coat of Indian Head shellac on them.

And pray that the next repair is done by somebody else.
Not really recommended by the manufacturers, but after corrosion and warpage, it will stop a comeback.

I've never experienced an issue removing it but some of the other gasket sealers can be a real challenge. I don't know what Dodge used to seal the gaskets on the water pump surfaces but it was TOUGH to get off. Just recently I replaced the hoses on my Dakota that had been on there since 2005 and no problems removing them or removing the old I/H. I replaced the original hoses from '96 and used I/H when re-installing the water pump and all hoses.

Caterpillar used a gasket sealer (green, not the red) that seemed like it bonded with metal to the point where grinding it was the only way to get it off....they used to seal the oil coolers with it and getting it off while the engine was in-frame was a real treat!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Trav

And pray that the next repair is done by somebody else.
Not really recommended by the manufacturers, but after corrosion and warpage, it will stop a comeback.

No problem getting it off. Its no where near as bad as some some of the stuff they use on oil and tranny pans.

Wouldn't using only Permatex High Tack glue the two intimately mating aluminum surfaces together, making it impossible to take apart the next time? If you want to do away with paper gaskets I think rtv would be a better choice for this application.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Wouldn't using only Permatex High Tack glue the two intimately mating aluminum surfaces together, making it impossible to take apart the next time? If you want to do away with paper gaskets I think rtv would be a better choice for this application.

I guess I'll find out when I take it off, but whatever I used was intended to be put on a paper gasket, which is there too. I did use a cut gasket last time and will this time, I'm just considering what additional sealants may or may not be good to use on the paper gasket.

I'll look for some Indian Head and try that. I'll need to go to either Napa or the JD dealer for coolant...something tells me if anyone has Indian Head it's Napa.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try the Victor Reinz Victo Foam thermostat housing gaskets, but nobody carries them locally and RockAuto charges $17+ shipping charges to ship one out.

How many manufacturers use the o-ring style rubber gaskets? My 89 Accord had them for the thermostat, water pump, etc. I never had to use ANY sealant with them to prevent leaks. The thermostat use a modified type of o-ring that fitted all the way around the thermostat itself AND formed the seal with the water neck. I figured it was just something everybody did starting in the 80's. Apparently, that is not the case.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
How many manufacturers use the o-ring style rubber gaskets? My 89 Accord had them for the thermostat, water pump, etc. I never had to use ANY sealant with them to prevent leaks.

The thread is about regular paper gaskets, not O ring type. Having said that, the last rubber gasket I Installed on a valve cover I did use RTV on both sides.. I would not do this to an O ring.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
How many manufacturers use the o-ring style rubber gaskets? My 89 Accord had them for the thermostat, water pump, etc. I never had to use ANY sealant with them to prevent leaks. The thermostat use a modified type of o-ring that fitted all the way around the thermostat itself AND formed the seal with the water neck. I figured it was just something everybody did starting in the 80's. Apparently, that is not the case.

This engine was developed in the 80s, and Ford didn't do a whole lot to it after that aside from retrofitting what was needed for EDIS, OBDII, etc. IIRC, the lower intake manifold where the t-stat is mounted was actually reused from the old UK Essex engines, so it's a 1960s design.

I prefer o-rings, but with no groove for one, there's no way to adapt one to work. The paper gaskets work fine, the only downside is having to clean all the gasket material off for the new one. It is one of the few, possibly the only paper gasket left on the truck. Most seals on it are rubber, RTV, or an o-ring.

I'd like to try a Victor Reinz Victo Foam gasket, but don't know where to get them locally. I just picked up an OE gasket since I went to the dealer for the t-stat anyway. Might have been cheaper to use RA, but for $20 for the gasket and t-stat, the dealer was good enough.

Not surprisingly, Napa had plenty of Indian Head, so I picked up a bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Thinking of replacing the t-stat on my truck soon. I replaced it once a few years back and used a gasket sealant on the cut paper gasket. It didn't do any harm, but I am wondering if it's really necessary or if I would be doing just as well/better by not using it. I think I used Permatex High Tack last time.

I don't need anything to hold the gasket in place. It's a very straightforward t-stat...aluminum neck bolts to aluminum intake manifold and is mounted horizontally. The only reason I would be using it would be to help the gasket seal better, if that's even necessary. I'm not sure if it is.

Definitely use some permatex high tack with the paper gasket! It helps fill any possible irregularities on the mating surfaces. Even if you think there are no visible ones, they are still there... and besides, it's better to be safe than sorry!
When you changed it out last time you used it and it worked for you, so what exactly are you needing to question!?!?
thumbsup2.gif

as you know iam totally old school. i started working on cars in 1965. i dont like RTV. i have used permatex #2 from the beginning. it has NEVER let me down. put the sealer on the gasket and part that comes off, no sealer on the engine part.

Honestly the main reason is the High Tack is kind of messy stuff. I was curious about the alternatives. Since I already got the Indian Head, I'll see how it does. The t-stat on this truck is an easy job so I don't mind experimenting with different sealants/shellacs as long as they are safe to use.

Some cooling system goodness...
grin.gif

IMG_2668_zpsda508218.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back