Making your own octane booster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Acetone to boost gas milage. That is about it.
Cost, about $11 a gal from walmart.
I plain to buy a much larger container form a much larger retailer about the time my gallon runs out.
Acetone by it's self has an "octain" (R+M/2) of about 150. The amount I use it in should not change the R+M/2 of my Gasoline.
Acetone also acts as a very strong solovent.
I have old "dry gas" containers made of HDPE that I measure 2.5 ounces of Acetone into. Any time I need to fill up I dump in the bottle and pump 10 gallons of gas in on top of it, no more no less.
I have added Acetone to my 90 toyota I had while I live in japan and now I put it in my Z28 w/carbed 5.0L engine.
Use Acetone, 2.5oz or less to 10gal of any grade gas to get better milage. Not boost octain.

quote:

You're living in the '70s. All modern engines have timing that is electronically constanstly changing to meet the load demands on the engine.

Yeah, but they only do so up to a point. Some engines can't cope w/ really high octane. Or rather, they can't use it to their advantage.

There was a thread a while ago about some "cheaper" GM cars with the Ecotec engine. While the manual called for the use of regular gas, the engine has a knock sensor and will adjust timing for more power/economy when higher octane gas is used. I have not personally verified this info, but is sounds plausible.

I don't think and engine computer can take advantage of higher octane gas unless it has a knock sensor.

Some interesting info about bad fuels for vehicles.
Some info info on acetone in gasoline.

I can't find toluene locally but can buy xylene. I've heard toluene is sometimes hard to find because it's commonly used in meth labs?

The guy on that acetone site made some reasonable claims, but he also said some stupid crap.

quote:

There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.

This is a 100% false statement. I'm not even going to say why. It's just wrong. A few statements like this make me question the entire thing, but I've heard good things about acetone from very reliable sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back