Duratec with leaky valve cover gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically I run 5w20 PP in the 04 Escape but have discovered in the last 10k oci the valve cover gaskets are leaking. I think it's amounted to 1/2 quart over 10k but can't say for certain, drips on the oil filter and in turn drips on the front exhaust what a great smell. No intentions on fixing it for at least another 25k since I'll have to pull in the intake manifold, at least the back one anyways may do the front sometime this summer. Thinking about bumping it up to 5w30 PP but not sure if it'll help any. Even have thoughts about mixing in some HM. Thoughts?

The gaskets are probably leaking, we replace those a lot as well as the timing cover gaskets. If you get the replacements from a dealer, the spark plugs tube seals are not included with the valve cover gaskets and must be purchased separately. Also get the upper intake plenum gaskets as that has to come off to do the valve cover gaskets.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you get the replacements from a dealer, the spark plugs tube seals are not included with the valve cover gaskets and must be purchased separately. Also get the upper intake plenum gaskets as that has to come off to do the valve cover gaskets.

Ford is notorious for not including all the parts. It's amazing that you can buy a fuel filter for a 90-ish vehicle from Ford that uses the two plastic horseshoe clips (that break when you take off the old fuel filter), but they are not included with the new one.

I'd check the bolts on the VC to make sure they aren't lose. I've heard of quite a few people (not with the duratec engines) fixing leaky VC gaskets by simply tightening the lose bolts.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
If you get the replacements from a dealer, the spark plugs tube seals are not included with the valve cover gaskets and must be purchased separately. Also get the upper intake plenum gaskets as that has to come off to do the valve cover gaskets.

Ford is notorious for not including all the parts. It's amazing that you can buy a fuel filter for a 90-ish vehicle from Ford that uses the two plastic horseshoe clips (that break when you take off the old fuel filter), but they are not included with the new one.

I had to change the fuel filter on my Taurus every 6 months or so (I bought gas that was full of [censored] and it would clog constantly). I bought a lot of those little clips. Still have a bunch laying around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse

I have owned Fords for several decades and have never seen this.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I have owned Fords for several decades and have never seen this.
its true! The explorer uses a plastic lower thermostat housing that cracks. Order the housing and you don't get the seals. Gotta call ford up and have the seals brought out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
valve cover gaskets are leaking. I think it's amounted to 1/2 quart over 10k Thoughts?

1/2 quart over 10,000 miles and enough to make a stink...?
10,000 miles?
1/2 quart?
...over how many months?

Doesn't seem enough over that many miles to be stinking up the engine area...
If it is I would think the 9-yr old gaskets are brittle/cracking beyond an "oil fix"...and...
...could the problem come from any other fluid loss...? have you checked all the other fluids...? Just a thought...

Last edited:
I've tried tightening the bolts but I just found my 10mm deep so I'll try it again. Fairly confident that's the origin of the leak. Just had a thought could be the oil filter though. I did tighten it a couple months back. It's a FL-820S. The OCI started last June.

Originally I thought it was still the PS leaking but it's dry now. If I do get replacements I like to stick with Fel Pro and what I can tell everything is included. Tempted to just run 5w30 this time as we're taking a long trip to Cali the end of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back