3x5' flag for a home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm looking to get a new US flag. I'll probably fly a Star Spangled Banner (15 star) or Betsy Ross (13 star circle), and a Washington's Cruisers flag. A Bennington I believe is appropriate as a national flag too, so I may use it instead for a bit more uniqueness.

Just standard mount to my home off a pole type scenario.

Is 3x5 the typical size?

Also, if I fly both, do I have to get two separate flagpole holders with two different angles so the cruisers flag is angled lower than the US flag, or would I just install the mount for the US flag a few inches higher than the mount for the other?

Any advice of cotton vs nylon or other materials? Ive always used cotton, but my current flag (getting faded) has mangled two mounts during very windy days. I imagine a nice sewn nylon flag may fade less and be lighter, so less succeptible to wind?

I don't think there's a typical size.. whatever floats your boat! We had a 3x5 but next week I'm hoping they carry the 2.5x4 as the 3x5 just seems too big. Our last one was a nylon.. I think day glo was what it was called. Had it over a year and half and no fading. Unfortunately it catches on the roof and torn the bottom seam off otherwise it would of lasted another year and half easy. No problems with the mounts. Did realize there was other flags!

My congressman for my district has a section on his website to buy made in America flags of different sizes. I bought five for friends and family. I think 4 were the 3x5 size. That's a very big flag, and I hung mine in my basement workshop on the wall.He also offers the option of flying the flag over the Capital building at no charge and that's what I had his office to do with my flags. Mine came with a letter stating what day my flags were flown over the Capital with my name on the certificate which I framed and put on the wall beside the flag. A 3x5 nylon flag is only $9.00. Go to your congressmans website and hopefully yours will have the same deal. Thanks G

To large a flag on a short pole looks rather out of proportion....but I assume as long as it doesn't touch the ground you are ok.

Here are some very useful guidelines for U.S. flag display.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the flag code , 3x5 are the wrong dimensions. The length should be 1.9 times the width - typically 2x4 or 3x6. If you look at a 3x5 flag it'll look too short or too wide.

and you can't fold a 3x5 flag properly.

Last edited:
Annin, the oldest US flag manufacturer, based in NJ, sells 3x5 flags.

I wonder what gives?!?!?

I tuck mine tight if it isn't though I can see your point. Very little room for error. Never really thought about it. Picked up a new 2.5x4 nyl-glo made by Annin for $31. Looks small compared to the 3x5.

IMG_0649_zpsd9987814.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back