BMW targets counterfeit parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This is a sham that German manufacturers started themselves. While I don't deny the existence of counterfeit parts, they are not as big of a problem than it is portrayed. These supposed alerts have an underlying message and it is not about counterfeit parts, but instead aftermarket parts.

That in itself is another topic. Some of the aftermarket products, particularly the white box ones, are of dubious quality as well. Even though they aren't being sold as "OEM" like what BMW has targeted here, there is still a reason to give pause and question as to whether the part you are fitting to your vehicle has been as well tested as the OEM replacement part would be.

This is why I don't buy Chinese car parts.

I'll buy brand-name aftermarket for many things (like brake pads). And I'm always a stickler for COO. But for other parts, like sensors and the like, I go OEM.

We've had numerous examples on this board alone of people buying white box hubs and bearings and them failing in short order. Is it really worth the gamble to save a few bucks?
21.gif

I find a quick search on the appropriate car forum is never a bad idea before I buy parts. OEM is rarely required as usually a quality aftermarket replacement is fine on my cars based on others experience. I never get white box parts as its just asking for trouble and I don't like redoing a job.
If I had something like a Mx BMW or and Sx Audi I would always go OEM for the OEM high performance version of a specific part if there is one, but for the parts it shares with a 100,000 other cars, probably a decent aftermarket manufacturer would be fine for a significant savings.

I see a lot of Chinese knock off injectors on ebay with all the correct markings.
I wondered how are they selling these things so cheap i cant buy them in bulk from the manufacturer direct for that never mind match them and retail them.
They are literally hundreds less a set.

I bought one injector and found out why. The markings were correct but the plastic was cheap and the colour was way off.
The machine work on the nozzle was poor. It did flow okay without leaking but the spray pattern was terrible.
These were not even in the same class as OEM.

Real Denso.

photo1copyp.jpg

Fake Denso. Notice the colour and the damage they did when installing the filter.

sam0747m.jpg

sam0752q.jpg

Edit: Add pictures

Last edited:
I realize this topic is about the USA + Canada market and BMW, but Toyota has had problems with counterfeit OEM parts around the world for at least three decades. It is unstoppable as long as people practise deceit, the best they can do is educate their customers and dealers. In a few countries they have the law of the land on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back