iPhone Charger Tripping GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently renovated our kitchen. The perfect place to charge my iPhone has a GFI outlet. It trips when charging my iPhone via that USB tiny charger.

We had the outlet replaced by installing electrician. No go. It seems to also happen though not as much with our Nexus 7 charger(larger/quicker).

Two crockpots on full tilt all day did not bother the outlet nor does a coffee grinder, immursion blender or other kitchen appliances.

Ideas?

What happens if you use an extension cord? I'm thinking maybe the wall wart is causing some EMI interference.

If the electrician supplied the GFI have him put a different brand one in under warranty.

Is it GFIC or AFIC that you are talking about?

(*Note: because virtually all these little chargers are based on SPS -switch-mode power supply design, there's always the initial "surge" when first plug in to the wall outlets, among other things...*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
How about getting one of those outlets with the built in USB charger.

USB outlet

That looks great but it needs to be a (GFI?) due to location near sink.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
How about getting one of those outlets with the built in USB charger.

USB outlet

That's awesome, but not helpful in the OP's case as the outlet in question is a GFCI due to its location (probably a building code). Do they also make them in GFCI models?

You can put any outlet you want downstream of a GFI if hooked up right and it'll be protected.

GFIs come with little stickers to put on said outlets to prove they're up to code, and to help homeowners when an outlet elsewhere trips taking said outlet with it.

+1 to this. If your preferred outlet is the one with gfci, is there one upstream that you can switch the outlet with?

I usually plug in the charger, let it trip and reset while it is still plugged in. For some reason it doesn't mind this procedure. Annoying, but I try to look at it as a free GFCI test.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can put any outlet you want downstream of a GFI if hooked up right and it'll be protected.

GFIs come with little stickers to put on said outlets to prove they're up to code, and to help homeowners when an outlet elsewhere trips taking said outlet with it.

My first thought is exactly what Quest posted, the device being ran is a switching power supply. And switching power supplies pull power (current draw) in repeating very fast and short pulses. It is possible that these repeating short time interval draws of power appear at the GFI as an unbalanced circuit.

And switching power supplies also pull a large amount of current when they are first turned on.

Then there is the remote possibility that something of charger or device being charged, is somehow providing a path to ground, and a leakage current actually exists. If this is the case, placing everything on an insulated surface may prevent the GFI from tripping. If this works it still does not solve the problem, because if something has that much leakage it is a dangerous device that could shock someone.

If you ran a resistive load such as a lamp with a light bulb that actually had a filament (not a compact fluorescent, and not a LED bulb), sometimes a resistive load on the circuit helps absorb any spikes going on.

Another fix if you really want to run that charger from that outlet, would be to get a isolation transformer and run the charger from the output of the isolation transformer. Because the charger is a low power device, you could use a low power isolation transformer.

I ran the same charger overnite on another outlet(not optimal spot) that is hooked to GFI. It did not trip at all.

I love the idea of that USB charger and outlet in one.
My wife can sweet talk the electrician into moving it.

Can a GFI outlet get moved(other side of sink) or is wiring setup to have it in specific location?

Originally Posted By: Quest
Is it GFIC or AFIC that you are talking about?

(*Note: because virtually all these little chargers are based on SPS -switch-mode power supply design, there's always the initial "surge" when first plug in to the wall outlets, among other things...*)

Q.

The USB idea is a good one. The are usually RFI/EMI filtered.

What I think is happening is the switching power supply is generating Radio Frequency and Electromagnetic trash which is being detected by the GFI, which is known to trip under the above interference.

These signals are most likely travelling down the wiring to the GFI.

Another thing you might try is those clamp-on Ferrite filters
that you can purchase at Radio Shack.

Get the smallest internal diameter ferrite filter and clamp on two of them, one on each side of the Power Supply module.

Last edited:
I do know/aware of some counterfeited iPhone/iPod charger that due to insufficient line filtering/intermittent faulty circuits, would trip GFIC on a regular basis.

A real "McCoy" should be at least UL/CSA approved, and comes certified and must meet FCC (because they generate radio frequency noise too) regulations.

Fake ones abound, and I've helped tossed a box full away due to questionable safety or quality of the power supply.

@OP: try borrow a different charger and see if it still trips your GFIC.

Q.

Yes, counterfeit is my first thought. We use an iPhone and a blackberry charger in our kitchen GFCI no problem. The fact that it worked in one and not the other makes me wonder about the outlet, and if it is more "sensitive" than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back