The latest additions to our family

Status
Not open for further replies.
A S&W M&P Shield in 9mm and a Ruger LCR chambered in .357...

20130421_183505_zps6d19e631.jpg

On an ammo scouting trip a LGS a few weeks ago, I spied the M&P... Handled it a little and left without any ammo. On the way home, I had second thoughts and called the owner back and had him sit on it overnight so I could pick it up the next day. On pick up, he offered a box 9mm ammo with the purchase, so he was holding some back...

Fast forward to today. The better half and I were out on some errands and decided to stop by a nearby sporting goods/surplus store to look for ammo. She had been wanting an LCR for some time (some may remember me asking about it for her) and they just so happened to have one... Instantly she was giddy but frustrated because she figured we didn't have the $$$. Well, before the trip I grabbed some cash I had saved back from some side jobs "just in case", so when I asked if she had her NICS number with her, she knew what was up and was overjoyed! So she filled out the paperwork and I flopped down the cash, and now she's the proud owner of a Ruger LCR.

In the weeks prior, I had been buying .357 and .38spcl in anticipation of getting the LCR. Well, it payed off because the store where we made the purchase was out. Naturally when we got home, we made a trip to the gravel pit and had at it... It's got quite a buck, but not to the point of being unmanageable. We fired off some Blazer Brass 158grn JHP, some PMC 158grn JSP some Blazer Aluminum 158grn .38spl and some Hornady Critical Defense 125grn ammo.

The Blazer Brass JHP has, by far, the most snort! The Hornady CD stuff was actually quite manageable and I think that she will do well with it. The big JHP stuff makes her hand a bit sore after 20 odd rounds... But she's a trooper!

For having such a short barrel, that little devil is actually quite accurate!

We also learned an important lesson. Don't mix .38 with .357 in the cylinder. Her and I were shooting the rounds in descending order to compare them. Well, by the time I got to the .38 round, it was a no go. Both the bullet and primer had been knocked loose and was jamming the cylinder!

All in all, she's happy with her new acquisition and is in the process of selecting a holster or two.

As for the Shield, there's not much to say. It's a fine little pea shooter and acts quite similar to it's big brother, the M&P 9c but with a little more flip. I had shot it a few times prior, but after shooting the LCR, I'm pretty underwhelmed.

I foresee an LCR or similar in my future too, and the Shield and/or the LCR (of my own) will be my carry gun. The 1911 that I'm carrying now will be a more for home defense/target as will the stainless CZ 75B I've had on order for 5 months now.

This explains a lot. If guns are like a member of the family, no wonder there are people who defend them over the feelings of the Newtown parents.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
This explains a lot. If guns are like a member of the family, no wonder there are people who defend them over the feelings of the Newtown parents.

So because some parents are distraught (justifiably) over the loss of their children, we as law abiding citizens should renounce our ownership and turn over all our firearms, or at the minimum, stop defending the RIGHTFUL and lawful purchase/ownship of them? What's that going to fix?

Why don't you ask any of the Boston Marathon victims how restricting the sale, use, or scope of firearms and their peripherals would have helped them? The answer of course is that it wouldn't. That is because the underlying issue is violence, not the tools used. Violence can manifest itself in innumerable ways.

One the big problems facing the nation is knee jerk reactions based on fear and/or emotions. When emotions are running high, decisions should not be made. Decisions should be made when people have calmed down and facts and logic outweigh fear and emotion. When bad things happen, everybody wants sweeping changes, NOW!!! Well, that's a poor way to do it.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I thought I was gonna congratulate you on grandkids.

Yeah, that was probably not the best choice for a thread title...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
Congrats on the new fraternal twins. I'm sure they will bring much love an happiness to your family.

Thanks man! My wife and I do enjoy shooing together and these will just make time on the range even more fun.

Very well said.......
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

So because some parents are distraught (justifiably) over the loss of their children, we as law abiding citizens should renounce our ownership and turn over all our firearms, or at the minimum, stop defending the RIGHTFUL and lawful purchase/ownship of them? What's that going to fix?

Why don't you ask any of the Boston Marathon victims how restricting the sale, use, or scope of firearms and their peripherals would have helped them? The answer of course is that it wouldn't. That is because the underlying issue is violence, not the tools used. Violence can manifest itself in innumerable ways.

One the big problems facing the nation is knee jerk reactions based on fear and/or emotions. When emotions are running high, decisions should not be made. Decisions should be made when people have calmed down and facts and logic outweigh fear and emotion. When bad things happen, everybody wants sweeping changes, NOW!!! Well, that's a poor way to do it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

What a thoughtful reply (no sarcasm intended)

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! I can`t wait to buy the Glock 26 I`ve been checking out :^)

Last edited:
Crimson Trace laser grip on the LCR a sweeeet addition.

Wow you cant find a shield here for any price.In fact the shelves are pretty empty of everything. nice find.

RE: the bullet pull, that is a problem with those lightweight .357. The recoil actually jars the remaining bullets out of the case Some say you should try different ammo shoot 4 then remove the last round and measure the length to see if that brand is a problem in your gun.

Those two are SWEET. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment from them.

I went to Cabelas Saturday. I was on the usual ammo run. They didn't have anything I wanted in the ammo section, but I got there so early that there wasn't 30 people standing in front of the pistols. I got to look as much as I wanted and there was even a salesman all to myself. That was bad, of course, since I had plenty of time to fall for that cute little LC9. I told myself I wasn't going to buy a gun, but fat lotta good that did. It was their last one, too.

It shoots great, is very concealable, and is pretty darned accurate. And, it went through the first 200 rounds with only one FTE on the first magazine, last round.

I concur with your sentiments, OP. A tool is just a tool. What matters is what the tool holder decides to do with it. If a screw driver is used to jimmy a window in a burglery it isn't the fault of the screwdriver, but of the burgler.

But I wonder why the people that like and understand firearms the absolute least are the ones that squeal about them the absolute most.

The LCR is a 5 shot.

You're right about it being a good CC gun... Both the wife and I have holsters and speed strips on order from Talon for just that purpose.

Oh, and one last thing... I couldn't hold out any longer... I called the store back the next day and had them hold the last one for me until I got off of work. Went and picked it up that night! So now we each have one.

"We also learned an important lesson. Don't mix .38 with .357 in the cylinder. Her and I were shooting the rounds in descending order to compare them. Well, by the time I got to the .38 round, it was a no go. Both the bullet and primer had been knocked loose and was jamming the cylinder!"

I've never heard of that before. Is it common, or just a one time fluke? I can't imagine .38 primers and bullets are constructed much differently than .357. Just curious, and congrats on the new purchases!

Good question. We're both new to revolver ownership so I can't say.

I was able to pick up some Blazer Aluminum .357 158grn JHP and I hope it doesn't jar loose like the Blazer Aluminum .38 special 158grn did.

Originally Posted By: san123chez
"We also learned an important lesson. Don't mix .38 with .357 in the cylinder. Her and I were shooting the rounds in descending order to compare them. Well, by the time I got to the .38 round, it was a no go. Both the bullet and primer had been knocked loose and was jamming the cylinder!"

I've never heard of that before. Is it common, or just a one time fluke? I can't imagine .38 primers and bullets are constructed much differently than .357. Just curious, and congrats on the new purchases!

If I remember correctly, I think Ruger talks about this in the LRC owner's manual. That is to check to make sure the ammo you use can take the shock, and if not then find some that will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back