Which Coolant Replaces Subaru's Purple Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2013 Subaru Outback 6-cylinder:

In 2 or 3 years (when the coolant is replaced at 36K) what coolant should I use?

Thank-you in advance of your expertise.

How much is the dealer coolant? I bought dealer coolant for my Hyundai, but I've used Peak Global in our other vehicles.

My son's new Dodge Dart has purple antifreeze as well - Chrysler calls it "Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine
coolant (antifreeze)". I've never heard of it before and have no idea where to get it other than the dealer. It appears to be durable as long as you don't lose any - here is a passage from the owners manual - "Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine coolant (antifreeze) that allows extended maintenance intervals. This engine coolant (antifreeze) can be used up to ten years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) before replacement. To prevent reducing this extended maintenance
period, it is important that you use the same engine
coolant (antifreeze) throughout the life of your vehicle."

Did Subaru switch from the Super Blue already?

If so, I can't imagine they shortened the Super Blue's interval by 1/3.

Finally, I'd stick with Subaru's coolant. If you're dead set on changing it out too early, then you shouldn't mind spending a little more for the OEM coolant.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
To simplify, I would think..........
Subaru Purple?

Exactly. Silly to change from oe chemistry to save $5..

Subaru does not have a purple coolant. Your coolant in your 2013 should be the blue "Super Coolant." If it is any color other than blue, see your dealer ASAP. Changing from the Super Blue to another type of coolant can not only damage the engine, but void your warranty. The blue coolant is specifically designed to match the metal and gasket materials in your engine and protect it for up to 100K miles (No need to replace it at 36K). Using a different coolant could result in corrosion issues, gasket failure, and sludge formation. See your Subaru dealer for the correct fluid. Part number SOA868V9270.

I obtained a gallon of the Super Blue coolant for my Suzuki online as the former dealership here no longer carries it and none of the local supply stores have it either. I believe I got it on Amazon (Beck-Arnley brand)...can't remember the price but want to say about $25 or so. It's premixed 50/50...I needed just a little to top of the overflow tank. A lot of the Japanese makes use this coolant...in some cases the dealer pricing isn't any more than other sources...worth checking out.

If you have an engine issue due to cooling or related to cooling and you've switched out the coolant to a different type or brand, Subaru can reject the warranty. It's easy to find the Subaru stuff and it's not expensive. Why use something else?

subaru coolant is about 25$/gallon of premixed

hardly cheap but all the same I'm not going to save 30$ and use the wrong stuff.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
If you have an engine issue due to cooling or related to cooling and you've switched out the coolant to a different type or brand, Subaru can reject the warranty. It's easy to find the Subaru stuff and it's not expensive. Why use something else?

This!

The new Subaru coolant is 100K mile coolant - on a 2013 I wouldn't bother touching it other than topping it off until you reach at least 50K miles. It probably is good for the whole 100K miles though.

Only looking to stay on top of the maintenance for longevity of the vehicle. Subaru's are a little new to me. Automotive field is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back