Do I need a Catalytic Converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was driving my 84 Cadillac Deville today when I lost my cat. Its due in the shop for body work tomorrow anyway, and I will have this fixed one way or the other. Now, since this vehicle is 100% exempt from emissions, is there any reason not to have straight pipe put in place of the cat? The cat is immediately before the tailpipe and sever feet of pipe from the exhaust.

Hard to say, might be exempt from periodic emissions testing but in some places you can get busted if someone notices, plus you're being the [censored] giving off that characteristic odor and massive pollution.

Last edited:
How did you "lose" it?

Is it still attached to the car?

I drove a 1983 Ford LTD into 2003. It's cat was... well it was still attached to the car.
I'm pretty sure it didn't work well, if at all.

That being said, I would think that if you were to cut it off, shake the pieces out of it, and reattach it would be just as fine as straight piping it.

Federal law requires you to put a new cat on. It doesn't matter if you have emissions testing in your area or not, removing or disabling cats is illegal in all 50 states.

A functioning honeycomb converter steals no performance from you.The old pellet type cats (GM especially)had somewhat of a restriction to them and gave converters a bad name.That and overly rich running carburetors that could melt a good converter down in no time.A modern honeycomb converter and a properly running HT4100 (thats almost an oxymoron)will get along well.

Lost it lost it. Like on the highway.

I'm reading about it online. From that and this forum...yeah, I made up my mind. Replacing the bad boy. Thanks for your help, everyone.

It's legal to have the straight pipe, but I suspect exhaust noise may go up a bit. I think the cat does reduce noise a bit, though that isn't it's purpose.

I would get an aftermarket straight-through cat. They can be found on the internet and welded in cheaply and you get some environmental benefits, which is worth something in my book. The amount of pollution goes up substantially w/o the cat.

You might want to check discountcatalyticconverters.com, deccats.com or davicomfg.com

A catalytic converter is usually as close to the engine as possible,so it can hear up fast and do its job. If you had something fall off the back then my guess its not a cat.
I am on the opposite side of this fence. None of my vehicles have cats. I've removed them all,we except the hemi but once it's due for an exhaust you can bet it will be cat-less.
I noticed better performance with them removed. On newish vehicles you need a tuner to shut off the rear O2 sensors of a cel will come on.
Most muffler shops will not install an exhaust without a cat,no matter how many extra 50s you leave for the manager so if you want no cats be prepared to do it yourself.
But I'm betting you lost something else.

THAT'S IT! IT IS A RESONATOR!

I'm so sorry. I have a lot to learn. But you guys sure do point me in the right direction.

And I get the impression straight pipe in place of the resonator is OK.

Originally Posted By: 3Aone
THAT'S IT! IT IS A RESONATOR!

I'm so sorry. I have a lot to learn. But you guys sure do point me in the right direction.

And I get the impression straight pipe in place of the resonator is OK.

Yes. A resonator doesn't do much other than soften the sound a bit. A straight pile will be a bit more throaty.

You can get a universal cat for $50 from advance after coupon codes. It'll be legal and flow well enough, and cut some pollution but not like an OE new one.

But yeah a cat will have all sorts of heat shielding and space around it; a resonator not so much.

Going without a resonator will take some bass out of your exhaust tone and make it sound, well, worse. You can use a "cherry bomb" glasspack muffler as a resonator, BTW.

For future reference, in NY, if the vehicle is 25 years old or older, it doesn't have to have the catalytic converter in place. You could legally replace it with a straight pipe. A vehicle newer than 25 years old, by NY State law must have the catalytic converter in place to pass state inspection. We had to fail a pristine 94 f-150 because it had a motor swap for a mustang 302 and a cat delete. The truck came from Florida, where they have no inspections.

I have a 1985 Olds 88 with the Olds gasoline 5 liter engine, and the original design has a resonator. A few years ago the exhaust had to be replaced during an inspection in the winter. I had the mechanic do it, and he put on a Walker system that did not demand the resonator. I have a very good stereo system in that car and the exhaust without the resonator made too much noise to allow me to enjoy that stereo. So I had to have the resonator put on, and now it is back to being a very nice ride.

If you are over 70 and have lost half your hearing, you probably will not notice the extra noise of not having a resonator. But if you still have decent hearing, you will notice the extra noise.

Originally Posted By: salv
For future reference, in NY, if the vehicle is 25 years old or older, it doesn't have to have the catalytic converter in place. You could legally replace it with a straight pipe. A vehicle newer than 25 years old, by NY State law must have the catalytic converter in place to pass state inspection. We had to fail a pristine 94 f-150 because it had a motor swap for a mustang 302 and a cat delete. The truck came from Florida, where they have no inspections.

It may not be illegal to remove the cats under NY law, but it is illegal to remove them under Federal law.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: salv

It may not be illegal to remove the cats under NY law, but it is illegal to remove them under Federal law.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is a lack of a resonator, not a lack of a catalytic converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back