Screeching Sound When Turning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes my truck makes a screeching sound when turning. I have an idea what it is. What do you think may be the cause?

So slow down when making turns!

But seriously, it sounds like the belts slips when the pressure increases when the wheel is turned. Check the belt tension.

Slow down! You'll wear out your tires...it's a truck not a Porsche. I am of course just kiddin...

May be a loose power steering belt...not much info to go on.

I'm sorry...it sounds like it's coming from the rear and it's metal to metal contact.

When turning right, left, both? how long does it last? When did it start? Any vibration? If you give us little information, the results will be of little use too.

Not sure when turning right or left but it lasts a few seconds with no vibration.

Loose P.S. belt or when making tight turns, the pump will screech or wine if the steering wheel is held tightly as far as the wheel can go.

Check for a loose belt and back off a tad during tight turns where the P.S. pump is stressed / maxed out.

Also, low fluid can cause issues as well as contaminated fluid that needs to be changed.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Sometimes my truck makes a screeching sound when turning. I have an idea what it is. What do you think may be the cause?

Might help if we knew what make/model/year/mileage the truck was ....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I'm sorry...it sounds like it's coming from the rear and it's metal to metal contact.

Need limited slip rear end additive?

Could be that.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I still say brakes. My cavalier made the same kind of noise and changing the brake pads fixed it completely. Does this have rear discs?

Wasn't thinking brakes but I do need to replace the pads and rotors because there shot....we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back