Ram 2500 Ball Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not 100% sure if my Balljoints need replacement but from what I've read 125k on ball joints on my truck and they need replacement.

I got a 05 Ram 2500 with the cummins and looking to get new ball joints, the folk on cummins fourm are [censored] bent on carlis but I dont have a grand sitting around to spend on them. the only "lift" I have is a level kit and dont plan on getting a lift but if I do a 2-4" at best, but thats years down the road. I got 285/75/18 tires and just want a quality Ball joint that will last 100k or so. What are some good ball joints I can get with out having to work the streed corner?
I also ordered some spicer u joints so I can do it all at once.

All the rave is for XRF ball joints. They are made in Taiwan but many people have excellent reviews.

Moog seems questionable. Personally I have the Moog problem solver ball joints on my CRV with only 40,000 miles and one of them has some play in it. Next time I'm going to try XRF.

Did you think that the 125k miles you got out of the OE was good? Then replace with the same. Or like another poster said, RockAuto. They probably even list the OE ones for less than online dealers can offer.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Did you think that the 125k miles you got out of the OE was good?

The extra weight of a Cummins puts a lot of strain on the ball joints. I replaced the ones on my '97 CTD with Moog problem solvers and never had an issue.

I'd be extremely suprised if they werent "falling out" with OE ball joints on a 2500 cummins with that mileage.

IMO chrysler ball joints are not my favorite. I'd get Moog or top of the line napa greasables.

Jack the truck up with the suspension loaded and use a pry ball between the ground and tire to check the play in the joints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Go on Rock Auto and get whatever is cheapest. They will last another 125k

I wouldn't do it.

I sometimes find cheap balljoints that fail with 1 year of driving.

Raybestos premium is a good choice for replacement suspension parts.

+1 get a brand you trust from rockauto. personally I would probably go with Raybestos professional grade.

Originally Posted By: mattd
I'd be extremely suprised if they werent "falling out" with OE ball joints on a 2500 cummins with that mileage.

IMO chrysler ball joints are not my favorite. I'd get Moog or top of the line napa greasables.

Jack the truck up with the suspension loaded and use a pry ball between the ground and tire to check the play in the joints.

Agreed. I've seen too many that were completely toast well before 125k.

There is a good ongoing thread on CF concerning ball joints. One poster that seems to know a lot about ball joints is recommending Raybestos Pro Grade with 1/2deg of offset. Apparently they are the same as McQuay-Norris. With the offset, there was something to do with the support of the ball. Prices in Rockauto reflect something different with the offset ball joint. Too much labor involved to go too cheap.

Well after some more poking around the ol internet and such, I went with the raybestos prograde seem to be the "best" without spending a ton. Thanks for the help

I got Raybestos Pro Grade for my truck and have been very satisfied. They appear to be great quality and I have no complaints after 10K miles on them. Mine were made in Taiwan. The box label said something like "maximum service life"...I hope so.

Interested to see how they hold up for you. I did them on my 02 ctd when I had it using napa's premium ball joints and had some play in them after only 6000 miles. I took them out, returned them and they gave me replacements. Those didn't last long at all either. I left them go until I traded it in on my Jeep I used to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back