Loud "suck" sound when engine shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear a noise like someone sucking air though a straw when I turn my car off. the engine shuts, then I hear a "slurrp." Loud, almost like a whoosh, definitely an air sucking in or releasing, sounds more like a sucking in. Happens sometimes when I shut off my engine. It is a Chevy small block.

I recently re-did my own radiator, and had to shoehorn one in from an Astro van. They did not have one available for my 1990. Mine has engine oil, transmission cooler, AND radiator hose conenctions, and that is the only other one that did. I shoehorned it in. That one has a taller neck, so the result was interesting. Why do I mention that? Because I took off the stock air intake tubing, and I left on the elbow that has the air temp sensor. No more air filter, or air filter housing, that hose just hangs free now. I traced it back to the valve cover, on that engine bank. It also sometimes hesitates when warming up, as if it has a vacuum leak. The whole engine slows, sometimes I hear the suck noise start halfway, then the engine picks up again.

FWIW, this engine has gasketing issues, and it could be a cracked water jacket, cracked block, cracked head, blown head gasket, or all of the above. Thus I will start another thread, called Blue Devil questions.

Is anyone more familiar with this air-suck sound, anything that I should know?
I am also having issues with the knock sensor, the wire is clean off, is not attached at all, and is nowhere to be found. And I do not know where the connection is, to make it.

If you have no air intake or filter, I think that's the source of the sound.

I know my TBI small block makes a definite suck noise right as the engine stops if the intake is removed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Are you saying you are running without an air filter???

Yes. Yes I am.

May I ask why this is bad?

I have the intake just sitting over the belt, no hose or anything attached. Does that not let in the most air?

Originally Posted By: cchase
If you have no air intake or filter, I think that's the source of the sound.

I know my TBI small block makes a definite suck noise right as the engine stops if the intake is removed.

yessir you nailed it, that is the sound.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Now the next question I have is if I should look into rigging up tubing, to have an air filter on there.

Ummmm, yeah, if you want the engine to last, it's a pretty good idea......

Now the next question I have is if I should look into rigging up tubing, to have an air filter on there.

The issue I am having is that I have to take it down to 2" tubing, since anything else is gonna get chopped up by my fan and alternator pulley. That is actually the reason why I took it all out.

I will assume you are being serious that that is something I should have on there. So far, I have only had it this way for a week or so. Only about 200 miles. Would my gas mileage suck too this way, no pun intended?

Thought more air = more power, better breathing.

Yes. Yes I am.

May I ask why this is bad?

I have the intake just sitting over the belt, no hose or anything attached. Does that not let in the most air?

Yes, but it also lets in a lot of dust/road grit which will grind down your engine tolerances in very short order. You'll notice it when you start consuming oil.

Last edited:
More air = better HP. But no air filter = silicon in the engine. Too many abrasive particles in the atmosphere to not use an air filter, those particles end up in your oil.

It's extremely bad to drive with no air filter ... But yes, you hear the intake sound with no air filter. If you put the filter back in, willing to bet that noise goes away because the filter helps muffle it.

The issue I am having is that I have to take it down to 2" tubing, since anything else is gonna get chopped up by my fan and alternator pulley. That is actually the reason why I took it all out.

I will assume you are being serious that that is something I should have on there. So far, I have only had it this way for a week or so. Only about 200 miles. Would my gas mileage suck too this way, no pun intended?

Thought more air = more power, better breathing.

I'm being quite serious. Also, your intake air temperature sensor is an important component too. I'm under the impression it isn't hooked up either at this point?

Rig up some plumbing. It doesn't need to follow the OEM routing to be effective. The important thing is to ensure a leak-free intake tract with a filter on it.

crazy2.gif

Running without an air filter and doesn't even seem to care.

Yeah jury rig something up ASAP unless you want your engine to be full of dirt and destroyed.

I have a CAI in my Celica, it runs all the way down into the bumper at the wheel well. It makes a sucking sound when shut off, even with the cone filter on.

But..

How are you unaware about the problems of running no air filter? It's so preposterous that you're wondering about a sucking noise yet completely oblivious about the filter. Unless you knowingly and purposely do not care about engine damage.

Running without an air filter will suck far more than the noise you're hearing.

Either someone is trying to get our ire up or they're really ignorant.

Sucking noise is just the remainder of the manifold vacuum normalizing to atmospheric through the IAC or Throttle plate.

And yeah, filter = good.

Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. My work schedule is hectic, unpredictable, and the result is that I have to do half-hour or one-hour blasts of catching up, and posting. Such is hoe it is for me right now. Apologies.

I looked at it again, as per the extensive advice, and I secured the air intake hose back on. Turns out, the factory one is OK. I may take a look at the aftermarket 76mm one complete with K&N look-a-like from Spectre cone I bought, but I was able to secure it with the factory piece. The alternator pulley dug a groove in it it is tat close, but it did fit, and my hood shuts. Pretty good for a 94 Astro radiator from a scrapyard in an S10. Also, I put the hose to the PCV tube (appears to have no valve in it) and the suck sound is now virtually gone, only happened when cold.

A poster asked if it was chain pulling, or ignorance. It was ignorance. I never thought the factory airbox could yield such great gains. I had been running without it for a very long time, and this is the first time it is in there, and tightened with clamps. A small separation from tubing to air filter, but it is very small. And the hole the alternator pulley put in it is about the size of a quarter. The suck noise is virtually eliminated.

Now, my next question: There is no thermostat in there. What are the benefits I will see if I replace it with a brand new 192-degree failsafe unit? Again, ignorance, please discuss. Have been running without a thermostat for awhile, about a year.

This is a family member's vehicle I have access to. That is why I am fuzzy on some details. Sitting in yard type of deal.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Sucking noise is just the remainder of the manifold vacuum normalizing to atmospheric through the IAC or Throttle plate.

And yeah, filter = good.

Besides the unfiltered air getting it, does the sucking noise indicate any possible problems? I had recently installed a cheap, lightweight air filter in my A6 as a diagnostic tool and this type of sound was the unintended result. Am I OK as long as it's still filtering the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back