Acura MDX 1 to 2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, not in a late model MDX. The earlier MDXes (2001-2004) had transmission issues more common to Honda V-6 transmissions of that era, but not in a later one. I think all 2007+ MDXes used a completely different unit anyway, a 6-speed transmission. The engines are also solid; I don't think any Acura got the VCM version of Honda's J-series V-6.

We have an '05 with 93k miles and the engine and transmission both run like a top. We look forward to another 93k miles with it.

I'd go back to 2008, as I own a Pilot of that year and it's really a great vehicle with great reliability. I would assume that the MDX went through this year as its life cycle as well and then changed with the 2009 model. Could be wrong, though.

'11-'12 are good years. 2007 was the redesign year. We almost bought one before I managed to convince my wife that SUVs were evil and we bought the 335.

i'll echo that--- we have a gen 1 mdx. no transmission problems and we're at 100+k. it's been a good car, though it's burnt our 3 rear hvac blowers and is starting to act up with minor issues--- suspension rattles, minor coolant leak, more squeaks and rattles.

It gets worse fuel economy than the fullsize truck in my sig! and it wants premium fuel. not sure why. pilots are similar from what I've read.

We see 14.5-16 in town typical, 18 hwy with a cartop carrier. best we've ever seen was around 20 hwy.

Besides the rooftop carrier, it's stock. stock wheels, tires, no lift...

Last edited:
I would think 2011 would be the earliest she would consider.

My wife now EX had a 2005 and it was a nice vehicle. Only thing wrong was she never returned it when the lease was up.

No trouble years 1-2 old.

That being said she should also peek at brand new. They are being sold at invoice - a large reabte currently. A 2014 redesign is due soon. I think the base model can be had for high $30's.

That being said I drive the same generation 2007 model. It is a thirsty vehicle (18MPG average around town with some highway). I am fine with it given price paid for vehicle($16.5k), quality, comfort and year.

Our 2005 was originally rated 17/23 and was re-estimated to be 15/21 with the new EPA procedures. We get closer to the 17/23. Even on road trips with it loaded down, we get 22-23 mpg on the road with it. In town, it's around 18 mpg.

Running less than premium in it is a false economy to me. The cost/mile is about the same, considering you lose mpg when running on regular gas. The engine is tuned for premium and it runs best on premium.

If you drive one, I think you'll like it. The chassis is pretty "athletic" for an SUV. It doesn't drive like the 4,500 pounds that it really is.

It is truly a great car for the money. Athletic handling, great build quality, and very high in value compared to other vehicles in its segment. I would not hesitate to buy one if I was looking for a vehicle of that type.

Isn't it very expensive though? If all she wants is room and good build quality, buy the equivalent Odyssey for almost half the price. With decent tires and built-in traction control CT winters are not an issue for the minivan. Obviously if she has huge budget and does not mind the extra cost, MDX is a good vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Isn't it very expensive though? If all she wants is room and good build quality, buy the equivalent Odyssey for almost half the price. With decent tires and built-in traction control CT winters are not an issue for the minivan. Obviously if she has huge budget and does not mind the extra cost, MDX is a good vehicle.

Odyssey's are not 50% of the cost if you get the similar content in them. They approach the cost of a MDX very closely. I find it interesting folks see the flash in a MDX however the Ody's for families I know cost $40-$45 due to the top tier models. They just look no different from the outside except for not having plastic wheel covers.

I wish I could have gotten a Ody but it does not work well for our family property near ski area which requires a 1/2 miles walk without a SUV/AWD. Winter tires do little for deep snow and mud season except making getting you stuck further in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back