E4OD in 96 Ford Bronco - which (Walmart) ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got myself this nice 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8L...and need to change the transmission fluid. Already got the Ford filter and seal.

At my local Walmart, I found the following ATFs:

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ($16.97 per gal)
Valvoline DEX/Merc ($16.87 per gal)
Castrol Transmax DEX/Merc ($17.68 per gal)

I haven't checked the local parts stores, but I bet I can get Mobil 1 ATF, etc. I also have a Chevron Lube dealer close by...

Which one should I get? I rather have some really good stuff, so the transmission will not get mad at me during 4wheeling, etc.

Interestingly, the Castrol Transmax DEX/Merc specifically mentions 1983 to 1996 Ford vehicles, unless it calls for Type F. And also states not to use when MERCON V, Mercon SP or Mercon LV is required. See below... So is this one "made for" my E4OD?

Last edited:
My '97 F-150 has the E40D. At 190,000 I changed the fluid out using your listed Maxlife Dexron/Mercon, after reading the great reviews on here. I noticed a shift quality improvement and the torque converter is quicker to lock-up. Nothing bad to say.

Throw it in the transfer case too.

Honestly,as far as I'm concerned for high mile trannies maxlife is the best fluid you can use. Unless a transmission needs something specific or is a race bred unit most every daily driver maxlife is the top dog.
I've only heard of 1 issue ever blaming maxlife for a failure however it's tough to single out the fluid on a known weak tranny with umpteen miles on it.
Max life.
I use it in both my mustangs,my hemi needs ATF+4 so I used the valvoline version of it. I'm not a valvoline fan however I will use their tranny fluid exclusively.

I recently had a similar decision to make. My '96 Chevy with 4L60E would also use any of the three you show. I chose to go with Dextron VI It is synthetic and a recommended replacement for the old style. My daughter's old Explorer used Mercron V and never had an issue with the transmission. Personally I would go with that, although I have no problem with the other recommendations. I just like the word "synthetic" when I am thinking of longevity.

I'd ask how often you intend to change the fluid, and if you know what temps are expected.

If you OCIs are fairly short, and you don't get it above 220 degF with any regularity, then I'd say just about any decent house brand of ATF would suffice in the Dex/Merc variety.

If you intend long OCIs, or see temps approaching 250 when off road, then I'd say go for a good quality syn that is Dex/Merc based; there is a large market to choose from there.

BTW - if you want to make life easier on yourself, try to find a trans-pan from a 4R100 with a drain plug. That pan is an exact fit but will make future fluid dumps easier.

I like the Maxlife a lot in GM vehicles but not in Fords. It doesn't meet Mercon spec the viscosity is too low.
Ashland came up with some song and dance but the fact is it does not meet the viscosity spec for Mercon.

I would go with the Castrol in your hand its the correct oil for that unit.
Edit Ditto on the synthetic for long OCI. Amsoil is one of the very best.

http://pqiablog.com/2013/02/28/more-on-maxlife-atf/?utm_source=Copy+of+Copy+of+February+18%2C+2013&utm_campaign=feb282013&utm_medium=email

Last edited:
I just read that you'll be taking it off road ... A transmission cooler is going to make 100x more difference than Transmax ATF vs SuperTech trans fluid.

I take my Cherokee off road and I use it frequently to haul some heavy loads. I have a 15000# capacity transmission cooler on it and I change the trans fluid yearly with ST ATF.

Spending 17 years running up and down the highway isn't really hard on it. But a 351 spinning tires in the heat, off road ... that's really going to build up some heat.

Put the biggest one you can on there.

The Castrol Transmax should keep it happy. That's what I would probably use in an E4OD.

But I would also second the suggestion of a trans cooler if it didn't come with one from the factory. In addition to much more cooling than just using the rad, it will increase the amount of fluid in the system slightly, which certainly won't hurt.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I like the Maxlife a lot in GM vehicles but not in Fords. It doesn't meet Mercon spec the viscosity is too low.
Ashland came up with some song and dance but the fact is it does not meet the viscosity spec for Mercon.

http://pqiablog.com/2013/02/28/more-on-maxlife-atf/?utm_source=Copy+of+Copy+of+February+18%2C+2013&utm_campaign=feb282013&utm_medium=email

Really? So Trav I've got a red jug of max life and it says on the front its dex/merc although I forget which number exactly however when I bought it I wanted to use it in my t-3650 and I do know it was the correct spec,4 iirc.
Anyways are you saying its not that great in ford tremecs,and if its not ideal what do you suggest.
I'm installing the t-3650 this week so I will need fluid and if you are saying that max life isn't what I should go for then if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction please as to what I should use.
This tranny has roughly 40000 miles or so and has been sitting for a couple years so I'm a bit concerned about seals being dried out. Is there an easy to find additive that can help in that respect. That is actually why I was going with max life,their reputation for leak stopping and prevention,which is the direction I wanted to go here.
So could you please point me in the right direction. Synthetic is preferred because I don't want to change it as often however if you think I should just to have a look at what going on I don't mind running a short interval with conventional.
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Trav

So does the letter from Valvoline make sense? Looks like it works better and longer.

I wonder how much the viscosity of the Castrol drops?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: banana
Came with trans cooler...

Nearly every vehicle equipped with a automatic trans comes with a trans cooler. I think what we're getting at is the question of if it has a supplemental trans cooler; not the one in the radiator but some form of additional unit, either OEM or aftermarket?

Again, you really have no idea if you even need more cooling yet, do you? Have you got a temp sensor in this system, and if so, where is it installed? Until you know the temps in all the expected uses, you have no idea of the cooling and lube needs.

Typical of most BITOG topics and solutions, people are going about this booty-backwards. Trying to pick a fluid first, without knowing all the confines of the application such as OCI, temps, etc ...

Here's my suggestion:
Go out an buy the most expensive TES-295 licensed fluid you can find. You'll sleep better knowing you spent a ton of money on a premium synthetic and 95% of the BITOG membership will pat you on the back for it. Regardless if you need it or not.

Last edited:
I checked, it has an extra cooler for the E4OD. It looks like it goes into the regular one first (inside the engine radiator) and then goes into the seperate one upfront.

The Bronco came with Ford's "Super cooling system" option, or whatever that was called...

Looking good!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Typical of most BITOG topics and solutions, people are going about this booty-backwards. Trying to pick a fluid first, without knowing all the confines of the application such as OCI, temps, etc ...

Here's my suggestion:
Go out an buy the most expensive TES-295 licensed fluid you can find. You'll sleep better knowing you spent a ton of money on a premium synthetic and 95% of the BITOG membership will pat you on the back for it. Regardless if you need it or not.

D, lighten up on the guy a little. He's just trying to figure out how to best care for his new ride. He came here to ask because he probably realized that there are people here that can offer him knowledge that he doesn't have. Maybe he's just a layperson when it comes to cars and he didn't think to look first for an auxlilary cooler before he answered.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Really? So Trav I've got a red jug of max life and it says on the front its dex/merc although I forget which number exactly however when I bought it I wanted to use it in my t-3650 and I do know it was the correct spec,4 iirc.
Anyways are you saying its not that great in ford tremecs,and if its not ideal what do you suggest.
I'm installing the t-3650 this week so I will need fluid and if you are saying that max life isn't what I should go for then if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction please as to what I should use.
This tranny has roughly 40000 miles or so and has been sitting for a couple years so I'm a bit concerned about seals being dried out. Is there an easy to find additive that can help in that respect. That is actually why I was going with max life,their reputation for leak stopping and prevention,which is the direction I wanted to go here.
So could you please point me in the right direction. Synthetic is preferred because I don't want to change it as often however if you think I should just to have a look at what going on I don't mind running a short interval with conventional.
Thanks in advance.

Its just my opinion but a viscosity sec is just that a spec. The fluid or oil either meets it or it doesn't.
Its like having a 5W-20 oil and calling it 5w-30 just because at some point it is claimed that 5w30 will shear down that far anyway. What?
Some say "well GM back spec'd their transmissions for Dex VI" and that's fine but did others that also spec Dex III or Mercon do the same?
I like ML in GM i use it often and it performs well, it is closer to Dex VI than a universal fluid.

I really like Amsoil ATF in non GM Dex III and Mercon applications, if i couldn't get it soon enough them Mobil 1 is a good choice also.
I would change the front and rear seal in a unit with 40K on it that has been sitting, don't worry about the inside seals they have been sitting in oil.
My own experience with Amsoil ATF in known problem transmissions like Honda have stellar over a long term and miles.

Originally Posted By: banana
So does the letter from Valvoline make sense? Looks like it works better and longer.

I wonder how much the viscosity of the Castrol drops?

That question is why IMHO the letter from Ashland is a puff letter trying to explain what cant and shouldn't be explained away.
It implies that all or most other Dex III fluids are going to shear down below their product starting point and theirs doesn't shear as much.
Really? Unless the transmission is running high temps then shear shouldn't be an issue also what about fluids like Amsoil, Mobil, Redline, etc synthetics?
Will they shear down below that of ML? I don't think so in fact i would bet money on it.

Like i said i like and use ML, it works well in GM applications i just wish they were a little more truthful with their advertising as far as specs go.

49.gif

Actually, the logic that Ashland is using echos GM's logic of why they back-spec DEX VI into DEX III apps. While is starts thinner, DEX VI holds it vis WAY better, and ultimately will survive shearing with a higher vis than DEX III even after moderate exposure.

There are very few trannies that I know if where vis is so darn important than shifting a vis point or so makes any differnece at all. It's not unlike engines; the grade is grossly overblown in importance, when minor shifts are experienced.

Most of the older trannies that used DEX/Merc fluids were fully capable of using fluids as thick as 8.0 down to 4.x; they had to be because the old fluids changed that much! So if you put in Maxlife, or ATL, or such, and the vis is 6.0, I cannot fathom how in the world it would matter one little iota. The synthetic Maxlife, ATL and such will hold their vis MUCH better and longer than any normal DEX/Merc could have hoped.

Just because the older trannies were spec'd for fluids that started out at 7.x (and drops to 5.0), does not mean they cannot function perfectly fine on something that starts at 6.0 (and stays near there).

Example:
In my wife's Villager, it takes the old DEX/Merc fluids. I ran a tranny UOA some time back. After 20k miles, it had sheared to 4.5cSt. The wear metals were all actually better than average! And, the OEM OCI is stated at 30k miles, which means that fluid had only gone 2/3 of the OEM OCI! The fluid started at 7.x, dropped to 4.5, gave excellent wear protection, and still had OEM lifecycle left. And that was on house brand AAP D/M atf.

My point is that vis is not super cricital in the older trannies; they were made to suffer through that grade shift and still function fine. Any of today's more robust fluids targeted for the old D/M applications will work fine as long as no combatant chemistry takes place (even if they start out thinner).

Last edited:
So what's the point of having specs if oil companies can just go around claiming this fits at some point so it meets the spec.

I have a car that needs 5w30 so now they can say hey use this 0w20 it wont shear so at some point it will be in spec and then advertise it meets 5w30 specs. I buy a lot of stuff but i'm not buying that.

No. You and i will disagree on this till hades freezes over. Its not about if it can work its about truth in advertising.

BTW my old Expedition shifted poorly on ML, Amsoil provided a much nicer shift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back