Wagner Quick Stop brakes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these brakes? I can get ceramics pads for the front & rear from Rockauto for $47 with shipping. I think that is a great price but I'm not familiar with these pads. I know that ThermoQuiet ceramics are the top of the line, but I'm thinking that these Quick Stop pads will be great for daily driving. I've tried Google, but couldn't find much about this brand. Maybe it's a old discontinued pad/brand.

that is what ill be getting with tax money next week. wagner rotors too. my local o'riellys claim those are the best they sell, and rockauto has them for about half the price.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
that is what ill be getting with tax money next week. wagner rotors too. my local o'riellys claim those are the best they sell, and rockauto has them for about half the price.
Yeah, I think I'm going to jump on these next week. I was going to put in my order this week, but with their office being closed due to bad weather in WI, I was going to wait next week while people are at work so my order wouldn't be just sitting waiting for someone to fill it.

I've used OEM pads and they are not worth the money (on my car). Wore fast and sprayed black dust everywhere. I'll stick with aftermarket name brand ceramics.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You may want to consider Bendix CT+3 pads also.
Very low dust and stop like boat anchors,long life too.

+1

I cannot even begin to say how many new sets of aftermarket pads I have chucked in the trash.I bet thousands.Just my experience.Once I was at the parts counter at a Nissan store.Two guys were buying every set of 300zx and 240sx pads in stock.I asked why? They left home without pads and were racing at Road Atlanta.I asked about aftermarket pads,rotors? They said they had to replace pads AND rotors after every race using aftermarket.Said factory stopped as good or better and they got 3 times the laps,races out of rotors. I say again if you want your vehicle to stop like it did NEW you know what it takes.Same with shocks and ride characteristics.Load range rating on tires also.

Last edited:
Factory pads ore OK/decent to very good. [very good is usually in high performance cars]
Aftermarket pads of course can be junk, but they also offer much better pads than stock.
It depends on what you select.

I would agree with mechtech2.
Just look up brake pads for your vehicle on the Rockauto website.....you will see a long list of choices with a wide range of prices.
If you go to a shop......price is king, that low price they advertise......what pad do you think they are using?
Of course, they end up running the price up once you are in the door, but a more expensive part cuts into their profit margin.....and as mentioned, MOST people don't have a clue about their brakes.

Then of course, you need to buy either Wagner or Raybestos aftermarket brake parts because OE is usually garbage compared to what I have used and seen in the many vehicles I have owned.

Factory Ford pads in my old Exploder wore very fast. They were also riveted and when they got within 1/8"of rivets they would crumble apart. You would pull in driveway normal, go to pull out 2 hours later to go somewhere and be at full rivet on rotor grind and they only lasted 12-14k. I switched to Hawks and got 20+ out of each set with better braking and less dust and wear sensors that actually worked.

No clue what the shop used on my Sequoia (I was out of town and wife brought it in for warped rotor). What I do know is they are low dusting BUT have much less grip as compared to the Hawks I had put in prior. With 7 people in truck or towing scout trailer you can definitely feel the difference and the much more pedal effort needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
I cannot even begin to say how many new sets of aftermarket pads I have chucked in the trash.I bet thousands.Just my experience.Once I was at the parts counter at a Nissan store.Two guys were buying every set of 300zx and 240sx pads in stock.I asked why? They left home without pads and were racing at Road Atlanta.I asked about aftermarket pads,rotors? They said they had to replace pads AND rotors after every race using aftermarket.Said factory stopped as good or better and they got 3 times the laps,races out of rotors. I say again if you want your vehicle to stop like it did NEW you know what it takes.Same with shocks and ride characteristics.Load range rating on tires also.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Well you can't tell that to Car and Driver, who wadded up their test 370z due to the factory pads fading away completely.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q...ing_lap-feature

Brake pads are like ice cream... a million flavors. Some are better than stock for certain drivers who want to change the characteristics of their braking.

Most drivers will never know...
Originally Posted By: TheBig2003
Then of course, you need to buy either Wagner or Raybestos aftermarket brake parts because OE is usually garbage compared to what I have used and seen in the many vehicles I have owned.

Exactly!
It's all vehicle dependent. I haven't used a ceramic pad that I didn't like thus far. And I have used plenty of ceramic pads & brands:

Akebono
Bendix
Centric
Raybestos
Satisfied
Wagner

I've liked some brands of ceramic pads just a bit better(for one reason or another) but, I have like them all and their stopping power for everyday type driving in all climates and weather conditions, city/hiwy.

For stopping power, OE or after market semi-metalics seem to have a little bit better but, I disliked most everything else about them. Just my opinion!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

I've used OEM pads and they are not worth the money (on my car). Wore fast and sprayed black dust everywhere. I'll stick with aftermarket name brand ceramics.

Aftermarket pads almost never have the proper noise-dampening hardware, which can sometimes lead to noise issues towards the latter half of the pad's life.

Brake jobs are not very expensive, especially if you are a DIYer. OE pads will ensure balanced braking, good cold-temperature performance (hit/miss with aftermarket ceramics), and low noise - at least that is what I have noticed on imports. Dust is a minor issue, and a shorter service life is not of major concern since it is not a frequently purchased item.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Aftermarket pads almost never have the proper noise-dampening hardware, which can sometimes lead to noise issues towards the latter half of the pad's life.

Brake jobs are not very expensive, especially if you are a DIYer. OE pads will ensure balanced braking, good cold-temperature performance (hit/miss with aftermarket ceramics), and low noise - at least that is what I have noticed on imports. Dust is a minor issue, and a shorter service life is not of major concern since it is not a frequently purchased item.

This is not to be ignored as newer vehicles with stability control use the brakes to correct your course!

On my car the BLD is drastically affected by pad choice, and then you have ABS as well. Pad choice can be staggeringly difficult simply because there are so many...

Dust is a minor issue, and a shorter service life is not of major concern since it is not a frequently purchased item.

Ahem, you should say those are minor issues to you. Obviously, many people here would disagree.

I actually don't care about dust very much, but it's a common complaint I read here, so clearly some people care about it a lot.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Dust is a minor issue, and a shorter service life is not of major concern since it is not a frequently purchased item.

Ahem, you should say those are minor issues to you. Obviously, many people here would disagree.

I actually don't care about dust very much, but it's a common complaint I read here, so clearly some people care about it a lot.
10-4!! Yes I hate brake dust so it isn't a minor issue with me. The Wagner pads were great! I forgot about my old thread.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these brakes? I can get ceramics pads for the front & rear from Rockauto for $47 with shipping. I think that is a great price but I'm not familiar with these pads. I know that ThermoQuiet ceramics are the top of the line, but I'm thinking that these Quick Stop pads will be great for daily driving. I've tried Google, but couldn't find much about this brand. Maybe it's a old discontinued pad/brand.

I have always used Wagner TQ's but have never heard of Quick Stops. On my current F150 I went 95K miles on factory front pads and still had over 3 mm left on them. If it were not for them making so much dust I would have went back with the same factory pads.
TQ's leave virtually no dust. Also, AAP has a $30 rebate going on with the TQ's right now.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, my factory rear pads still have over 50% left on them.

A dusty,fast wearing pad , gives the best rotor life, which is the expensive part of a brake job. Last pad and shoe purchase was Auto Zone store brand. 20 $ a set for the Ranger. They are a year old and stopping well. The drums and rotors were in spec. I dont think they are very old. The guy who did the last brake job re-used the hard ware and it failed, cooking the shoes. The bleeders were frozen on the front calipers, so I bought re-builds from AZ too. Trucks stops fine.

I haven't used the quick stop, but I do have the Wagner TQ ceramic installed all around on my Accord with EBC slotted rotors.
They have been on for over a year and are by far the best set of pads/rotors I have had.
When I purchased the TQ ceramic the price difference was not that much compared to the QS, at a guess I think it was about $6-8 in canuckian currency. Go with whatever fits your wallet and serves your needs best.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back