Thinking about buying a motorcycle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I dunno. Dad will be coming home before long and until he buys another bike in a year or two, the Shadow will be his again. I can't really ride it right now until I swap out the starter and starter clutch anyway.

I was thinking about picking a small cruiser to commute and ride on weekends. I've been looking at the Yamaha V-star 250. It's inexpensive, and gets good gas mileage (80mpg). But I commute 60+ miles a day, almost all of it highway. I'm also a bigger guy (230lb, 6'0" currently) and I wonder if a 250cc bike would be enough for me. I like the easy to ride aspect. If not, I would look at a pre-owned 500CC or something. And yes, I will be buying it outright, no financing. Any thoughts from the motorcycle crowd on this one? =| The VT500C is great to me, but once dad comes home he'll want to use it most of the time for riding to/from work.

How about a v-star 650? I happened to be looking at some on Craigslist yesterday; it's a popular bike with lots of used ones on the market. Understand that I have virtually no motorcycle experience beyond the class I took several years ago, but a 250 strikes me as awfully small for everyday highway use. You'd outgrow it in about a month, I think.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I say stay in your car, motorcycles are too dangerous.

I agree. With a car you can do some dumb things and learn from them and get second chances. With a motorcycle there are few second chances.

back in late 60s me and my friend rebuilt Harleys a lot. mostly pan heads. after we lost one guy and 3 or 4 got hurt bad, we thought it was best to cut our losses and get out of the stuff. just my idea.

I kind of have to agree with others that the Focus may be better for commuting and the bike better as a weekend toy.

60+ miles probably means encountering lots of other vehicles, many of whom won't be paying attention. If a soccer mom plows into your Focus, you have pretty decent chances of coming out of it alive. Not so much on a bike.

If you commute during non-rush hours, other people in traffic may not be so much of an issue, but for a rush hour commute I think I'd much rather be in a car. That's when people are at their worst.

250 is pretty small, I think you'd be looking to upgrade pretty quickly. Since you're already used to an engine twice that size, may as well stick with it at this point.

250 is too small for the highway, in fact I would say its a case where too little power is dangerous.

A used Honda shadow 600 would be ideal if you are looking at cruisers -AMAZING gas mileage and enough power that the bike will not be stressed at highway speeds

I have been riding since 2002 and was a sales manager for Honda Motorcycles last year for a season. So I am speaking from experience.

The key to safe riding is preparation; take the MSF course, wear ATGATT, learn about riding from motorcyclists who actually know something, such as David Hough, and always ride with razor-sharp concentration and situational awareness. When I ride I always assume that I am invisible- and that any drivers who can see me are going to make every effort to try and kill me. Part of the fun of riding-for me-is to spot and analyze all potential threats: the octogenarian in the oncoming DTS who might turn left in front of me, the ricer in the slammed and primered Civic cutting in and out of traffic, the soccer mom piloting her Odyssey with one hand and babbling on her cell phone with the other, etc.
The minute that you assume that other drivers are going to behave in a logical fashion is the minute that you are effectively putting one foot in the grave...

250 is too small, you need a V-MAX
grin.gif

Seriously though, a 250 isn't going to be enough for the highway. I drove a 400 GSX-R for a number of years and it was a good bike. I think a Shadow 750 would also be a good choice, along with other recommendations in this thread.

If other motorists actually payed attention and were aware of motorcyclists I might say buy one....HOWEVER, most drivers today are so distracted, poorly skilled, or just don't give a fork, that the chances of you being hit and seriously injured or killed are very high.

If you want to ride stay on rarely traveled roads or dirt trails. If you want to commute go buy a car that sips gas and stay alive.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
You live in the northeast, how in the world do you think commuting on a bike is feasible??? Albany is brutal much of the year.
If you have a car as well, then that's another story.

As far as size-wise, I would say 750cc minimum for a big guy such as yourself. A 250cc is a JOKE! It would get OLD real fast, trust me.

It's a fallacy if you think the gas savings will pay for the bike.

I got a virago XV750 for $250 with that premise. 50-51 honest MPG no matter how I rode. This was better than the 35-40 MPG other Virago forum members reported, but my carbs weren't molested.

Rear tires every 5000 miles, front every 10k. Just going straight, no fooling around!

Insurance, tags, and inspection were around $125 a year. Fixed costs.

Riding season of March-November, I broke even on gas (over a 40 MPG saturn) enough to pay for the tags. The tires pushed me into the poorhouse.

Naturally this is the worst time of the year to buy a bike. And you've shown poor impulse control before. Get a fix er upper, you sound like you need a hobby, but don't justify it. Ride it, see how you like it, then get out at a profit. This time of year get something that needs carbs or whatever from sitting, but of course, beware, if it was a clunker of a bike that rode terrible then finally wouldn't start.

I found the best thing to being safe is to be highly visible. I wear a safety yellow vest every time I ride. I also have my AMA reflective stickers all over my helmet. Me likes big cubic inches. A bike should be fun. That being said, I learned to ride on an XL-250 Honda I bought new in the early 1980s. Take my word for it, a 250 is too small. I suggest a 750+. You can get a nice Sportster for under 5K, then keep it for years and still be happy. If you ever resell, you'll lose very little.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: babyivan
You live in the northeast, how in the world do you think commuting on a bike is feasible??? Albany is brutal much of the year.

As far as size-wise, I would say 750cc minimum for a big guy such as yourself. A 250cc is a JOKE! It would get OLD real fast, trust me.

Agreed.
Ignore these people who aren't answering your question. Looks like they are all in to this nanny,ninny stuff and no where in your post did I see you ask if riding a bike was safe.
Maybe we should all lock ourselves inside the house and never leave,because there are germs in the air and you might get sick,or you might get hit walking across the street.
Or you might be standing there watching a marathon and get blown up. Everybody dies guys. How about try doing some living while your alive.
Op.
I bought my girl a 450 inline twin. 4 speed with overdrive. Bike was too light for highway and she would get blown all over the road.
Then I bought a 750 shadow. Much better on the highway. More stable on the highway yet very nimble in traffic.
I had an 1100 v-star. Fantastic bike. Ample aftermarket for parts and around 45 mpg highway.
You will kick yourself if you go too small as far as a bikes concerned because you will outgrow it really fast however if you go big,and learn to ride big you never have to buy a bigger bike.
I'd rather have the power and size and not need it then need it and not have it.
Just my humble opinion riding bikes for 30 years.
And yes guys. 30 years. And no accidents EVER IN PUBLIC ROADS. I pay attention to idiot drivers and compensate for their stupidity.
The only bikes I wiped out were my dirt bikes. As a kid.
So yes a person can be safe on a bike. You whiners need to answer his question ,or don't answer but keep your bias to yourselves.
Whaaaaaaaa

I weigh about 190 and rode a 440. It was a very comfortable combination for me. It was an older bike so it was good to about 40 HP. As I progressed, I could have used a little bit more just for a little extra comfort.

So what the others said--- 250 is too small. My favorite all-purpose bike was the honda shadow 500 shaft drive. comfort, reliable, great on gas.

BUT, you need to learn first.

Before you buy one, take the MSF course. It's awesome. and it's fun. they'll provide everything you need--- bike, helmet, gas, and a course to learn on. you have to learn the right habits FIRST, before you start piling on miles. They teach on 125-250 typically, which is a preferred size to develop your skills on. If you pass the skills test at the end, you also get an insurance discount.

You also need to make good with whatever deity you believe in. Not saying that you WILL get hurt, but statistically most folks do, and you need to make sure you are comfortable with the risk. I packed it up after personally scraping a fellow rider off the ground in his last few minutes before dying. It rattled me, and my wife too much.

60 mile commute is not a beginner ride. until you tune your senses, habits, and develop your iron butt, that's quite a distance. You will fatigue mentally and also find that you dehydrate rapidly at that speed. Safety requires that you are fully alert, with active 360 degree perception. You kind of have to work up to it.

Statistically, however, you are safer if you DO commute on it, or at least ride not just on weekends. The weekend warriors do not get enough consistent seat time to nail down best-in-class habits. Clevy above sounds like he acquired the skills, and the /right/ skills, to be safe through the accumulation of many hours in the seat.... but most riders aren't consistent enough to develop that level of skill. (I applaud your accomplishment, Clevy, that's terrific!!!). Me personally, I rode weekends and evenings, and only to a carpool for work commute. My commute distance involved interstate and I just wasn't there. Rush hour could be a little nerve-wracking because people were tired, impatient, and worse in the summer, especially if they didn't have A/C. I rode a lot at night and in the evenings, little runs to the grocery. That was a more pleasant way to go but rush hour was the true application of awareness and mental test.

All the risks and fine print aside, there is nothing else like the feeling of riding. It thrills the senses. Smells, sounds, the feeling of flying, it is truly unique. Though I haven't ridden in years, I relive it every spring around this time whenever that warm, moist air with fresh "i'm growing" smells hits--- because it was springtime when I first started riding.

finding a group of riders is also a good idea. they can watch your line and give you pointers. unfortunately, not all of them are safe, not all practice good habits. But if you can find some that will show you how to group in traffic, how to hone your line, how to know when to stop and break, it can really help.

best of luck, be safe. don't just go buy something and jump on it. The national average time between bike purchase and first accident is: 18 seconds. (~2004-2005).

Mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: babyivan

Agreed.
Ignore these people who aren't answering your question. Looks like they are all in to this nanny,ninny stuff and no where in your post did I see you ask if riding a bike was safe.
Maybe we should all lock ourselves inside the house and never leave,because there are germs in the air and you might get sick,or you might get hit walking across the street.
Or you might be standing there watching a marathon and get blown up. Everybody dies guys. How about try doing some living while your alive.
Op.
I bought my girl a 450 inline twin. 4 speed with overdrive. Bike was too light for highway and she would get blown all over the road.
Then I bought a 750 shadow. Much better on the highway. More stable on the highway yet very nimble in traffic.
I had an 1100 v-star. Fantastic bike. Ample aftermarket for parts and around 45 mpg highway.
You will kick yourself if you go too small as far as a bikes concerned because you will outgrow it really fast however if you go big,and learn to ride big you never have to buy a bigger bike.
I'd rather have the power and size and not need it then need it and not have it.
Just my humble opinion riding bikes for 30 years.
And yes guys. 30 years. And no accidents EVER IN PUBLIC ROADS. I pay attention to idiot drivers and compensate for their stupidity.
The only bikes I wiped out were my dirt bikes. As a kid.
So yes a person can be safe on a bike. You whiners need to answer his question ,or don't answer but keep your bias to yourselves.
Whaaaaaaaa

Glad you said this. Not one person is guaranteed tomorrow.

To the OP....I agree that a 250 is too small for what you want to do with it. You need at least a 650cc bike to make it on the highway just to keep up with traffic flow. Plus, commuting year round won't be fun, especially in inclement weather.
Whatever you buy, ride it like everybody out there on the road is out to get you.
Good luck with your decision.

Edit: I own a 2006 Yamaha 650 Classic and a 2000 XL 1200 Sportster. The Yamaha is a much smoother ride than the Sportster. I would take the Yamaha on a trip before I would the Sporty...just for comfort alone. But...the Sportster has a "fun factor" in riding it as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back