Golden Stallion Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with the Golden Stallion brand of full synthetic oil? I understand it is made by US Global Petroleum, INC. of Franklin Park, IL

I would be using it (0W20) in a 2013 Subaru Impreza with a 2.0i engine.

Quality? Shelf-life?

The local NAPA store is getting out of the brand, so it is marked down. My thought is:
1)Is are they getting rid of it because it didn't sell due to lack of brand recognition, or
2) is there potentially a problem with the oil line.

Originally Posted By: LodgeMan
Is anyone familiar with the Golden Stallion brand of full synthetic oil?

Yeah...........
37.gif

Can't find it on their Web site but a Google search says this:

On July 11, 2012, PQIA issued a Consumer Alert on Golden Stallion Super Pro ...

John

Here is the article from PQIA noting the problem -- Golden Stallion Problem

Here is the retraction about Golden Stallion. While the problem may have been "localized", the fact that it happened would be enough cause for me to steer clear. They are plenty of other oils that would meet your needs that are "tried and true".

Yeah...

Originally Posted By: from the retraction
Further U.S. Global Petroleum encouraged PQIA to proactively test its products and visit its facility to see its "state-of-the-art packaging equipment" in action.

So they have massively awesome packaging equipment...that says nothing about the quality of WHAT they're packaging.

I agree w/nitehawk and FX4...why use a questionable bottom-of-the-line product when so many GOOD oils are out there for only pennies more.

Sounds like the stuff really is golden and comes out of a stallion... out the bottom end spiggot.

Get a known name brand and don't look back.

So, has the real problem with these folks been the lubricity product portion or the additive package...or both?

Thanks for all of the good thoughts on that...even though I now see that I posted under the wrong section of the forum. Sorry. I've been a diesel guy for so long, it must have just been subconscious.

Originally Posted By: LodgeMan
So, has the real problem with these folks been the lubricity product portion or the additive package...or both?

Both. It will cause greatly increased wear and leave deposits which could block oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back