Thoughts on the BMW 328i (6th Generation F30)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in another thread a couple weeks ago, I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe and replacing it with nice sports sedan. Last night I took a look at the BMW 328i.

The one I test drove had xDrive AWD and the 8-speed automatic; they didn't have a RWD model to take out. My first impression of the vehicle was better than the Cadillac ATS 2.0 AWD that I drove a couple weeks ago. The BMW's drivetrain seemed more refined. The sales guy took me through the three modes (i.e. Standard, Eco, and Sport) and I was impressed with them all. They seemed to perform as intended with the differences being noticeable.

And maybe it was because I was prepared for the worst, but I didn't think the Auto Start Stop feature was nearly as bad as what I'd read in some reviews. Maybe if you understand what it does, why it does it, and appreciate the benefits it's not as alarming? Though, being somewhat of a skeptic, I wonder if it's just one more system with which something can/will go wrong with?

While the test drive was short and I had the sales guy talking at me the whole time, I liked the way it felt and drove.

For those that have driven one, own one, or maybe chose one of its competitors instead, what do you think?

I'm assuming you're getting an automatic, and looking at new or VERY recent used models. Correct me if I'm wrong -- a manual transmission and used cars completely change the calculus.

Comparing CURRENT models, I think the Mercedes C-Class is a better car overall. The 3-Series is sportier and more capable, but its edge over the C-Class in terms of excitement is much smaller than it used to be. Meanwhile, the C-Class is still more comfortable and nicer to drive, feels like a more comprehensive package, and gives more of a sense of occasion when you drive it.

If I had to get a new car in that class, it would probably be an Infiniti G37 -- but that's only because I HAVE to have a manual transmission and RWD with a limited-slip differential. If I could tolerate an automatic transmission and AWD, I'd probably take a Mercedes C-Class and never look back.

My wife recently bought an E90 328i and she and I both love it. I have spent a bit of seat time in a few F30 328is and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed. While the turbocharged four is a bit faster than the NA six in the E90, it certainly doesn't feel significantly faster, and it is noticeably less refined with respect to NVH. However, the deal-killer for me is the electric steering rack. It has zero feedback. Instead of relaying road and traction conditions like BMWs of yore, it simply feels like a numb video game force-feedback wheel. I actually prefer the X1 to the F30 3er.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
The one I test drove had xDrive AWD and the 8-speed automatic; they didn't have a RWD model to take out. My first impression of the vehicle was better than the Cadillac ATS 2.0 AWD that I drove a couple weeks ago. The BMW's drivetrain seemed more refined.

Yeah, I've heard the ATS 2.0T doesn't have much refinement to it. If you want more refinement of out the GM, then 3.6 engine is where it's at. Alas, from a pricing standpoint, that's probably close to BMW 335i territory.

From all I've read, the AWD BMWs aren't as fun as their RWD brothers, so I would suggest you really take one of those for a spin, if you don't necessarily have to have AWD.

I also agree with the previous poster to go check out the C-Class while you're at it. The ones with the sport pkg suspension are actually pretty fun to drive.

Cars recently owned:
-2010 Acura TSX(4 cyl), Tech pkg
-2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe(7AT)
-2012 BMW 335i Sport (F30)
-2012 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost

I will agree that I can see people's point regarding the F30 electric power steering. My wife loves it, as she regarded most of the other BMW steering too heavy. I really don't mind it, as it tracks well and gives a great feeling of control that is just a little soft. While at the other end of the spectrum from my '66 Vette, I find it to be a nice sporty GT type feel. It provides enough feedback on major events, but you don't feel each expansion joint in the road. I would expect the pendulum to swing a little towards old school by the time the F80 M3 comes out if they want them to sell like gang busters. If I had my way, I'd toss in about 10% more feedback into the loop. This would be a nice thing to control with the different driving modes.

I enjoyed the G37. With the low profile tires, it was a good deal noisier than the F30 with run flats. It was also a coupe. Take that however you would like, I don't think the sedan would be that much quieter. With the new Q50 already introduced, you can get the reliable G37 for a great deal if you don't mind getting the last few months of a lifecycle.

I can't say that I got too deep into the C. It is also getting towards the end of lifecycle if you are concerned about resale.

The Acura had the best sound system that beat out the F30 Harmon Kardon. Background noise in the F30 is noticeably less, but the Acura ELS was good enough to overcome that.

We almost bought the 328, but I went for the extra oomph of the 335 that didn't come with a huge fuel economy loss, but hit the wallet out the door. The F30 is great in that you can now get a fully loaded car with whichever engine. Many of the wonderful little touches on the cars, especially BMW are the options.

I would not get the BMW without having all four driving modes. This was an option in 2012, but I wouldn't consider it an option. When I feel relaxed and mellow, the eco-pro mode provides the smooth, keep the baby asleep ride and acceleration. When I want to unleash the inner Mr Hyde, I dial up the Sport+ and go to town.

I found all the above cars to return consistent mileage that should let you compare EPA stickers without being worried.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
With the new Q50 already introduced, you can get the reliable G37 for a great deal if you don't mind getting the last few months of a lifecycle.

I can't say that I got too deep into the C. It is also getting towards the end of lifecycle if you are concerned about resale.

Late in the lifecycle is good. It generally means bugs have been worked out.

I suppose that I'm spoiled by the BMWs I own(and have owned). The E36 rack accurately communicates the level of grip at the front wheels to a remarkable degree. My '02's steering can tell you whether you are driving on asphalt on concrete. As a track day addict, I find those capabilities to be important.

Today of course, the overwhelming majority of BMW owners buy them to wear rather than to drive; they think "trailing throttle oversteer" is a band that used to open for Kansas. Which reminds me of a story...

My BMW dealer had a reception to introduce the F30 3 Series. First Class as usual- valet parking, open bar, all manner of hors d'oeuvres, and a raffle for an iPad3. The new 3er is an attractive piece, but my thoughts were straying to a 2011 135i M Sport over in the CPO
Pathetic story of the evening: I'm looking at a 328i Sport and a salesman asks me what I think. I tell him that it's nice, but that it is missing a pedal(the car was a slushbox). A guy standing next to him says "I like automatics- I want to get in the car and not have to do anything." I told him that if I can't take the car on the track I'm not buying it- and the guy replies, "I'd never take my car to the track; especially after I spent three hours washing it." My son laughed about "The Dork" for the rest of the evening, but all I could do was silently pray: "Dear Lord, deliver the BMW marque from all poseurs! Cast them all into the Lake of Fire- or even worse, make them drive an Aveo, Marina, or Yaris for all Eternity."

In a just world, nobody who "wants to get in the car and not do anything" would look twice at a BMW, and BMW wouldn't (have to) cater to such folks. Mercedes and Lexus already play that game, and they play it much better than BMW does. BMWs are supposed to be for people with too much testosterone, too little cortisol, and just enough sense to buy something less punishing to drive than a straight-up sports car. That's where BMW's magic comes from, and BMW is letting it go bit by bit...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
In a just world, nobody who "wants to get in the car and not do anything" would look twice at a BMW, and BMW wouldn't (have to) cater to such folks. Mercedes and Lexus already play that game, and they play it much better than BMW does. BMWs are supposed to be for people with too much testosterone, too little cortisol, and just enough sense to buy something less punishing to drive than a straight-up sports car. That's where BMW's magic comes from, and BMW is letting it go bit by bit...

Extremely well-put sir
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
BMWs are supposed to be for people with too much testosterone, too little cortisol, and just enough sense to buy something less punishing to drive than a straight-up sports car. That's where BMW's magic comes from, and BMW is letting it go bit by bit...

so true - one just has to look at the cockpit of a E46/E39 BMW and look at an #90/F30 etc to see the difference:
wanna be Luxuswagen and not the drover's car anymore
frown.gif

I boycotted the E90s after owning an E46. The interior annoyed me. I bought the F30 hoping that it would be my bridge car into the F80 second model year. My wife fell in love with it, so I am formulating plan B.

Meh the new 4 banger is kind of yawn at 180hp, not really a sports sedan.

At least get the 335I.

I think a base 335I with a stick, RWD, and just the M sport package would be just about as good as a 3 series can get without going to an M3.

Generally I think BMW's of late are way to complicated so I like the base models more. I dislike all the driving mode nonsense. I'm paying BMW to set the car up, why should I have to? The previous M5 was the worst offender here, at least in the new 3 they are down to 3 modes. It really should be only one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh the new 4 banger is kind of yawn at 180hp, not really a sports sedan

The 2.0 Liter Turbo in the 328 is 240 hp. It's the engine in the 320 that's 180 hp.

I actually would not like driving the car in Sport+ mode every day. It really is like owning more than one car to me. I guess that is why some people buy their cars loaded to the gills while others will strip out seats and sound insulation.

Unfortunately, if the car has the M Sport package it is no longer a base model unless you were referring to the new performance package that was just released. That package is ironically better with the 8AT.

Hattaresguy, I am guessing you don't mod cars?

Wow, tough crowd when it comes to the F30! While I expected some criticism since BMW has broadened their focus a bit (i.e. not 110% on driving dynamics alone) I thought I'd get more talking about how great they are nonetheless.

Rather than in comparison to previous generations of BMW, maybe I should repose the general question in relation to competing vehicles in the class. I saw the comments about the Mercedes C-Class but don't know if a 1.8 liter will do it, and the V6 drops MPG and appears to be AWD only. I'm leaning toward RWD, but probably with an AT.

So, what are thoughts on the F30 328i RWD AT compared to 1) Cadillac ATS, 2) Mercedes C-Class, 3) Audi A4, 4) Volvo S60, and 5/6) Lexus and Infiniti counterparts?

So, what are thoughts on the F30 328i RWD AT compared to 1) Cadillac ATS, 2) Mercedes C-Class, 3) Audi A4, 4) Volvo S60, and 5/6) Lexus and Infiniti counterparts?

For what it's worth, Motorweek, on Sunday, aired a sport sedan test. It was the 328i vs. the ATS, S60, A4, C-class and Acura TL. The BMW finished first and the Acura and Volvo were second and third, although I'm not sure of the exact order. The Acura was the only one with a v-6, iirc. Nice car, that. I liked that Volvo, too, good power and good ride. You have a lot of choices.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh the new 4 banger is kind of yawn at 180hp, not really a sports sedan

The 2.0 Liter Turbo in the 328 is 240 hp. It's the engine in the 320 that's 180 hp.

240 is ok, still kind of meh. Nothing really sporty their in what is now a pretty heavy car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coprolite

Hattaresguy, I am guessing you don't mod cars?

I beleive in starting with an already fast base, if fast is what you want. Just like if you want to save gas you buy the small engine, if you want to go fast get the big one.

I'm a subtle mod fan, don't like flash.

Last edited:
1) Cadillac ATS

Similarly capable. Less refined inside and out.

2) Mercedes C-Class

The C300 and C350 are better IMO, as I've already said. I don't think the lower MPG of the V6 should be a deterrent; it's a MUCH better engine, not to mention less complicated and more responsive without the turbocharger.

The C250 probably won't satisfy.

3) Audi A4, 4) Volvo S60

Good, but not convincing over the Mercedes.

5/6) Lexus and Infiniti counterparts?

Lexus: Way too sterile. Wait for 2014.

Infiniti: The popped-collar frat boy of the bunch. The G25 is under-powered; the G37 is hands-down my pick for aggressive driving.

Originally Posted By: hillclimber
For what it's worth, Motorweek, on Sunday, aired a sport sedan test. It was the 328i vs. the ATS, S60, A4, C-class and Acura TL. The BMW finished first and the Acura and Volvo were second and third, although I'm not sure of the exact order. The Acura was the only one with a v-6, iirc. Nice car, that. I liked that Volvo, too, good power and good ride. You have a lot of choices.

Can you confirm that it was a TL, and not the TSX (also available with a V-6)? I'm not sure I'd personally compare a TL to a 3-series BMW; the TL is a larger car, likely heavier, and just not aimed at the same audience. It looks more at a 5-series type buyer, at least to me. The TSX is the smaller model, and aimed at "younger" buyers. I wouldn't even consider the V-6 in a TSX; get the 6-speed with the sweetness that is the high-rev K24 and you're golden.

(But I do agree with others; a BMW shouldn't be cross-shopped with FWD sedans. They just don't have the same proficiencies. I have zero desire to own a BMW, just as BMW owners likely have zero desire to own a FWD sedan. I'm surprised that there's as much market overlap as there is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back