Which "dry" conical air filter should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 Mustangs that have K&N conical filters on them. I want to switch over to another type of oil-less filter. What brands should I be looking at? Before everyone suggests to go back to stock filters, one car is Vortech supercharged that requires a conical style filter, and the other has a fenderwell style intake. Also, I have never oiled the K&N filters, as I fear oil will ruin the MAF's. Just looking for something better if thats possible

AEM dry flow, and you shouldn't have any problems finding a size & shape you like & want. They have tons of sizes. It's basically cleaned with water and soap like a K&N, but then you just let it dry...no oil afterwards. They're the leader in dry performance filters, i wouldnt buy ebay versions etc.

I agree. AEM makes good air filters... 99+ percent efficient on fine dust. I suggest the OP shop and look for efficiency specs. A good filter mfr. will say "99.XX percent efficiency according to ISO 5011" or somesuch and then name the type of test dust. All filters look good on the coarse dust but fine is what separates the doers from the posers... if you are looking for efficiency over flow. If they don't specify, write and ask. You can have both, but it requires a bit more filter area to have it. In situations where space is a problem, sometimes a compromise must be made. Usually conical filters have plenty of area... some notable exceptions I've seen lately being highly boosted turbo diesel.

AEM is the clear #1 if you can find one that fits. #2 is more opinion based but I'd go with AFE if you can't get an AEM.

I have owned both the AEM and AFE and both filter fantastic. AEM just gets the nod over other synethetic, oil free filters because of its larger dust holding capacity which allows longer times between cleanings.

A third one you may want to add to the list are the Amsoil cone style filters that are made by Donaldson. Those you simply take of and blow out with light air pressure to clean them

Everybody running K&N's has a MAF sensor. My Mazda had one for 100,000 miles with no issues, cleaned & re-oiled once. The cleaning instructions are specific for not screwing up your MAF.

Forget the rice boy gauze filter, and get yourself one of these OEM badboys

037-a1300c.jpg

Factory filtration, plenty of flow!
grin.gif
It's what I'm running right now as a 'performance' filter.

Hey I have one of those in my suburban...they are awesome. It's been in there for 125K miles still looks great, Donaldson filter minder still showing good...

Originally Posted By: jrustles

037-a1300c.jpg

grin.gif

What is the part number or application of the big filter?

I've got the amsoil dry ones. They filter great. My mustangs intakes have no fine dust in them. However I can tell you that a stockish mustang gains nothing by putting one of these high flow filters on. Stock intakes are more than adequate and are designed to maximize velocity.
Anyways just oil the one you got properly. I guarantee that the one you have that you haven't oiled is letting gravel into your engine,which turns the oil into 100 grit sandpaper. I see it in Harley's and a lot of bikes my friends own. They put on one of these filters then wonder why their rings are shot at 100000 miles,and blame the manufacturer.
Funny

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Hey I have one of those in my suburban...they are awesome. It's been in there for 125K miles still looks great, Donaldson filter minder still showing good...

Yup! When I first saw one, I immediately thought "goodbye cheap Ractive filter". No more fine dust in the intake hose either!

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
Originally Posted By: jrustles

037-a1300c.jpg

grin.gif

What is the part number or application of the big filter?

Sorry, forgot to mention that. It's an AC Delco PN A1300C. It's a heavy duty filter.

AEM, aFe, and Airaid all make a dry, washable performance filter. Amsoil also makes one, but you can't clean it in water.

Originally Posted By: stangyellow
Also, I have never oiled the K&N filters, as I fear oil will ruin the MAF's

o m g that gauze is so porous it prob passess 1000X fine dust than the stock filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back