UOA via fluid extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2012 300hp Yamaha four stroke on my boat. I'd like to start a series of UOAs. There isn't a drain plug so oil changes must be done with a fluid extractor.

The Moeller extractor I've been using for 7 years works great. The issue is that its impossible to completly empty the extractor's reservoir of oil.

I'm guessing there is 2-3 oz of oil remaining in the reservoir after the oil is emptied into a container for recycle.

How badly will the remaining oil in the reservoir skew the results of a UOA?

The oil in the reservoir could be from a lawn mower,generator,etc.

Make your own cheap pump using a shampoo pump with 3-4 feet 5/16" OD hose from hardware store(about $1). It may take 30-40 pumps to get 2-3 oz from the sump into a small container for UOA, but it works on my E430.

You need an oil sample vacuum pump. You use new (inexpensive) tubing for each UOA and the oil does not touch the pump, only the collection container which you mail. And you should pump a little in to the container, dump it and then take the sample. The sample hose could have picked up some crud while being inserted, thus the reason to pump a little and dump it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back