Premium Fuel really needed for Supercharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Seriously, why would you even consider cutting corners on a supercharged/turbocharged car? If that amount of money fractures your budget you are definitely driving the wrong car...

X2

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I would bet the Bonneville is pulling the timing way back. Tried it on the Buick when it was stock and the computer and scan tool you could see the difference in timing. Also lots of detenation at mid throttle when you have to hit the gas. I bet his has some detonation that you can't hear. Had to really listen in the Buick to hear it. The only way to know is to hook up a scanner or lap top and watch the timing.

Not worth it, especially if you are ever going to put your foot in it. I have owned two L67 cars both moddified. Your can do what you want, but when you burn a hole in the piston don't say we didn't tell you so.

+1 Some people just don get it Premium fuel is required not recommended for these engines. I also have 2 of these one SC and one turbo.
They like to burn holes through pistons when run on low octane swill. The ECM can only retard the timing so far, any pinging is a death rattle.

The L67 in Oz only "recommends" premium on the filler flap.

Only way I would run regular is to flip off the blower belt (15mm spanner, 15 seconds)...if it's running spark retard, it's already knocking.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I would bet the Bonneville is pulling the timing way back. Tried it on the Buick when it was stock and the computer and scan tool you could see the difference in timing. Also lots of detenation at mid throttle when you have to hit the gas. I bet his has some detonation that you can't hear. Had to really listen in the Buick to hear it. The only way to know is to hook up a scanner or lap top and watch the timing.

Not worth it, especially if you are ever going to put your foot in it. I have owned two L67 cars both moddified. Your can do what you want, but when you burn a hole in the piston don't say we didn't tell you so.

For sure the ecu will retard timing. My Mach 1 4V has 10:1 compression. It requires premium,period. Sure the knock sensor will retune the engine and pull timing but for those few seconds the engine pings and knocks,and damage,although minute is still happening. At some point you can expect failure.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What grades of fuel do they have there? In Germany they don't even have that 87 octane.

Trav, Oz is RON...

RUG is 91-93 RONS, E10 is the same, but can be around95 RONS if 10% ethanol is added to a rpoper RUG. Premium is 95, 98 (Caltex sell both), or 100 RONs for a couple of suppliers who add 10% ethanol to 98...

10lb pulley, I use Caltex 98 (with PEA), and on a cold morning can cut loose at 45MPH leaving town.

Germany also uses RON and they use to have a chart on some Esso pumps with US equivalent for American troops using gas coupons.
I do remember there was nothing for US 87. IIRC it started at 89.

I found it weird that premium in the US is 93, vs 91 for Canada (except for Petro-Canada stations where you can get Ultra94).

Premium around these parts is generally 91 too (Eastern Nebraska).. Amoco used to sell 92 but, last time I purchased from them it was 91 as well.

91 R+M/2 premium here except sunoco, who proudly advertises 93. New Hampshire sells "real" 93 all over.

In KC, premium is 91 (QuikTrip, Phillips66/Conoco, Costco, Sinclair, Valero, Shell). BP is the only one in town to sell amoco ultimate with invigorate 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
In KC, premium is 91 (QuikTrip, Phillips66/Conoco, Costco, Sinclair, Valero, Shell). BP is the only one in town to sell amoco ultimate with invigorate 93 octane.

I use the BP 93 octane in my BMW airhead. When using it over the 91 octane at the places badtlc mentioned, it will accept more throttle in 5th gear without pinging. When I buy the 91 at Philips 66 the receipt show it as E10 91 octane.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
I use the BP 93 octane in my BMW airhead. When using it over the 91 octane at the places badtlc mentioned, it will accept more throttle in 5th gear without pinging. When I buy the 91 at Philips 66 the receipt show it as E10 91 octane.

That wouldn't be a Zarco 66 by any chance, would it?

Mine likes the "high test" stuff as well, though the manual says 87. That was back before alcohol in it, though. I may try a colder plug.

Last edited:
Sold a 2000 Buick SC last year, the premium did well but one of the reasons I sold it is that premium is now averaging 30-40 cents a gal more than regular 87, starts to add up after a while, pushing the 40 cents/gal difference in most stations it seems.

It's funny it my little corner of PA I can find 91,92, 93, & Ultra 94 yet they are all premium
lol.gif

Talk about confusing, heck we even had 90 around at one point.

Anything other than premium in a turbo or super-charged car is asking for trouble.

rjundi:
When we bought the 2009 I swore the goofy used car dealer put regular in it. It was such a pig going home on the highway, passing power was not there.

That wouldn't be a Zarco 66 by any chance, would it?

? What are you asking in your post. Don't know what Zarco 66 is
21.gif

The BP 93 octane is supposed to be ethanol free. I run some ethanol laced every once in a while to clean out the fuel lines, jets, ect.

? What are you asking in your post. Don't know what Zarco 66 is
21.gif

The BP 93 octane is supposed to be ethanol free. I run some ethanol laced every once in a while to clean out the fuel lines, jets, ect.

Zarco 66 are a line of phillips 66 gas stations in KC. They also produce their own ethanol so they lace all their fuels with as much ethanol as possible.

I hate to give the hits (puke) but this is them: http://www.zarco66.com/earth-friendly-fuels/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back