0W-20 Honda Synthetic Blend? good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am considering purchasing a new 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan. (I love the new re-design they did for 2013). The dealer I hope to purchase from offers FREE oil changes for life. But, of course, ONLY if you follow the "maintenance minder" on the dash that tells you when its due
for a change. They use Honda brand 0W-20 Synthetic Blend oil.

What is the quality of the Honda brand oil? Should I just follow the "maintenance minder"
on the dash, or just do 5000 OCI's with another brand?

I really plan on keeping the new Civic for 10+ years, so I want to only use top quality oil.

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe Honda motor oil is made by Conoco-Phillips and is good stuff, but there are other good quality oils out there for cheaper prices. I have 2 Honda cars that I've owned since new- a 2002 Accord and 2013 Pilot. I used different conventional oils in the Accord up until 100k miles and switched over to M1. At 166k miles, the engine is in great shape and doesn't burn any oil. When I had the valves adjusted last month, my indy mechanic complimented me on how clean the engine was. For my Accord, Honda calls for a flat 7500 mile OCI (no maintenance minder around back in '02) but I always felt that was a tad bit too high. With reg. oil, I ran 3500-4000 mile OCIs since I primarily drove on the highway. With the M1, I go 6000-7000 miles; UOA showed I could go more but I feel comfortable where I'm at because my driving has become more mixed city/hwy now.

I think your 5000 mile OCI is a good start. Have a UOA done after and adjust the OCI from there.

With my 13 Pilot that also uses 0W-20, I have the maint. minder system and so far have 1100 miles on the truck. I plan on changing out the factory fill at around 5k miles and running M1 or another good synthetic from there and out with 7-8000 mile OCIs for starters. I'll then see what the UOAs say and adjust accordingly. The new Honda cars call for changing the filter every other oil change. Call me paranoid, but this something I am just not to comfortable with. I plan to use new OEM Honda filters or other good ones from Wix and Purolator with each change.

Last edited:
Does Honda frown upon people NOT following the maintenance minder and changing their oil
sooner? Does doing that in any way effect the warranty adversely?

Last edited:
Although I've never had a problem, I would think having receipts of you changing your oil more frequently would help you in the case of a warranty issue. But again, a UOA would be the best way to see if you should go with the factory schedule or not. I'm sure others can weigh in on this too.

Last edited:
I know Honda uses Mobil Oils out of the factory.

I would assume their Honda branded synthetic oil is Mobil 1 0w20, however, you can't assume anything at a dealership which will put whatever it wants in and you'll really never know.

Follow the MM for the first 3 OCIs - run a UOA on #2 and #3 and see how they look.
If everything comes out good - free oil changes for life and you're set.
If the oil looks stressed - I'd estimate the OCI length, drop the oil halfway through and change it (oil only - let the dealer pay for the filters - they will change every OCI even though the book says once every 2).

I think the fact that one is a member of BITOG will ensure that the car will be well maintained for life. When you think of the people that do not follow any maintenance recommendation and their cars still survive for many years and miles... don't sweat it.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Does Honda frown upon people NOT following the maintenance minder and changing their oil
sooner? Does doing that in any way effect the warranty adversely?

No, just keep records with receipts and dates/mileage.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Just follow the MM and get the free oil changes. One less thing to worry about.

I'm with this guy. Why spend money you don't have too. And if they do it its all documented and no warranty concerns.

If you want to use the best quality oil, look into the Toyota 0w20 SN made by Mobil or the Mazda 0w20 SN made by Idemitsu. I have a 2012 Civic and put the Mazda in on my first change and plan to do the Toyota next. Will do a UOA on both and post on this site.

I use the Mazda 0w-20 with Moly or the Toyota Oil in my Honda. I know my Sig says Amsoil ASM, but that is for my summer oil usage due to the hot weather we have here. The Honda A-01 Honda filters are better than the A-02 ones made by honeywell. I suggest the Napa Platinums because they are on sale for $7.54 until the end of April. I also have some Puro synthetic filters ready to go as well. I Change it out around 5k because the VCM engines are known to get hot and make it sludge prone. Good luck and enjoy your Honda!

Btw, Honda oil is Conoco Phillips

The dealer will use whatever bulk oil they can get the cheapest. They are willing to take a loss on that as they know their chances of up sell are high and the other maintenance and parts will keep them in the black.

Truthfully, this is probably not a bad deal for people who can't be bothered to DIY or don't have the ability.

A no brainer: use the oil that the dealership is offering free because it is a good quality oil. Plus Civics are known to be easy on oil and last a long time.

The blend is the Motorcraft blend. 98% the same. Nobody does anything for nothing. The free oil change is offered to make money. Probably you did not see with that it is 15k 30k etc check up when they charge you $50 for a air cleaner and 85% what is done is to check belts, brakes etc out of your sight when most do nothing. It is how you drive what conditions etc that should determine when to change oil.Remember these are stealers and they live up to that term.
Originally Posted By: flinter
Anyone??

Not anymore. It is all Conoco, Mobil would not give a better deal than Conoco who is the Motorcraft mfg. So now Conoco have Honda and Ford. Mobil does not need Honda and Ford .
Originally Posted By: EricF
I know Honda uses Mobil Oils out of the factory.

I would assume their Honda branded synthetic oil is Mobil 1 0w20, however, you can't assume anything at a dealership which will put whatever it wants in and you'll really never know.

One other point make sure you run the factory fill to 15% because it is made to break in engine. It use to have a load of moly still does I guess. Interestting side point the new syn oils have less moly because the new moly is not needed in large numbers yet Mazda, Honda ff, are loaded with moly# why do they not use the new and improved moly in less #??? Wonder ???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
One other point make sure you run the factory fill to 15% because it is made to break in engine. It use to have a load of moly still does I guess. Interestting side point the new syn oils have less moly because the new moly is not needed in large numbers yet Mazda, Honda ff, are loaded with moly# why do they not use the new and improved moly in less #??? Wonder ???

I think Mobil keeps that tri-nuclear stuff for themselves and don't share,so the other blenders have to settle for the organic type that is available to them.
Just an assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back