The Complete Fischer-Tropsch Process ebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people have questions about F-T processes, Ill do my best to help. I have been involved in a lot of this over the last number of years.

Good deal and thanks.

Somewhere in my stack of papers I have the original Shell paper which describes the chemical structure and process.

Last edited:
I thought that the standard F-T process produced mostly lighter fractions that are more appropriate for fuels than for lubes. Is there a simply tweak to get longer chains?

The URL above may not be complete so here is the proper link:

Link to FT Process

In Figure 1 the output can be fuels, waxes, and olefins. From the waxes and olfins, higher molecular weight products can be synthesized, as determined by the catalytic method used.

From a patent:

Quote:
It has been discovered that the blended lubricant base oils and blended finished lubricants of the present invention, comprising Fischer-Tropsch lubricant base oils and polyalphaolefins, exhibit improved friction and wear properties with reduced amounts of anti-wear additives.

What they did was mix an FTS Lubricant of 3.3cSt with a high viscosity PAO and acheived a High VI lubricant with low wear and low Noack.

Other catalytic processes can produce higher viscosity lubricating oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMorg
I thought that the standard F-T process produced mostly lighter fractions that are more appropriate for fuels than for lubes. Is there a simply tweak to get longer chains?

The FT products that Ive run chromatography on have a lot of wax and are pretty broad distributions of hydrocarbons. There is a fairly significant post-treatment that is necessary. If you can get catalyst activity up and manage the heat well, you can play some tricks to narrow the distribution, but it isnt easy for most designs.

How much energy lost in the FT process? and what is the most economical product to get as the end result (i.e. gasoline)? Like GTL process in isolated natural gas well that isn't worth building a pipeline?

Last edited:
How much energy is used in processing crude oils to yield fuels and lubes?

I don't have any data as yet on energy conversions within the processes, but fuels such as diesel, jet fuel, and gasoline seem to be some of the top yields.

I saw one figure that said the process yields about 17-20% in lube oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back