A Different Kind of Filter: Motorcraft FT178 CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I stuck it in the oil filter section. Here's the transmission filter for my Freestyle CVT. Ever wanted to see a $50.00 oil filter cut open? Me too! I included a picture of the replacement filter next to a quart of oil to give some idea as to the size; needless to say, it's not very big.

It appears to be a fully-synthetic media, and has a full wire mesh backing. As far as Fram's comments about wire mesh backing not gluing well to plastic end caps? After pulling the end caps off of this filter (and mutilating it in the process), I'm sure I buy it. The end caps were impossible to separate from the media. I had to pull the wire mesh away from the glue.

This filter was on there for 65K, which is about the factory-recommended interval (60K). I do fluid every 30K and the filter every other fluid swap. There are some metal particles on there which you can see, but for 65K I'm not too worried. There were more particles on the first filter (but not a lot more). That said, after seeing these particles I'm glad that this transmission has a full-flow filter. I'm at 130K right now and it drives like new.

Besides the wire-backed media glued to the composite end caps, I thought the center tube was interesting. It's composite as well but it looks a lot more robust than an E-core. The filter doesn't have a bypass, as that's built into the filter housing. All in all, pretty cool.

20f3h1u.jpg

3469tfs.jpg

25ov2aw.jpg

f3byqf.jpg

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Looks like a nice filter.

But at $50.....I'll pass.

well, there's no Supertech alternative for this one...

Seriously, given the the option of "no filter" vs. "really expensive filter" for an automatic transmission, I'd opt for a factory-installed full-flow filter. AT's are expensive, and if extends the life of the transmission I think it's worth it. Looking at the particles caught by the filter, I'm glad they're not floating around the transmission. So, I'm glad ZF when this route and designed this into the transmission.

If you think the filter is expensive, try pricing out the transmission service from the dealer. I think it's in the $350-400.00 range.

Nice filter. at least @ $50 you got syn wire backed media. Still is steep tho. hopefully the aftermarket gets one out soon.

Thx for the pics

Would a Magnefine filter work in your situation? You can purchase 3 Magnefines for the price of that filter...and they are good for about 30k each.

I also put 3 or 4 strong magnets on the bottom of the transmission pan.....to pick up any metal floating in the ATF.

Interesting filter,JOD. Do you know any specs... particularly efficiency... and who actually made it. It looks like a Parker to me, as I've seen one they do make that looks similar. Thanks for the extra work involved in the autopsy.

Last edited:
Would a Magnefine filter work in your situation? You can purchase 3 Magnefines for the price of that filter...and they are good for about 30k each.

While not "impossible", it would be difficult. This filter is actually internal to the transmission rather than in-line. There's a filter housing cover which contains the bypass, and then the housing filters oil straight to the oil pump. Also, this transmission uses almost all hard pipe/fittings. My understanding is that the fluid is under higher pressure than a typical transmission.

I also put 3 or 4 strong magnets on the bottom of the transmission pan.....to pick up any metal floating in the ATF.

There are actually 4 big magnets and a second filter in the pan. The other filter is like a traditional low-efficiency ATF filter. There's no service interval on that one, but I'm going to change it on the next fluid swap around 150K. Overall, ZF seemed to go crazy on filtration for this transmission.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Interesting filter,JOD. Do you know any specs... particularly efficiency... and who actually made it. It looks like a Parker to me, as I've seen one they do make that looks similar. Thanks for the extra work involved in the autopsy.

The filter is "hecho en USA", but besides that I didn't see any identifiable markers on the box. I haven't seen any specifications on it, either. The filter housing has two double o-ring sealed metal feed/return tubes going to it, so my guess is that the filter sees a lot of pressure--so I imagine it flows well. I'll send off an e-mail and see if they can provide any specs, just out of curiosity.

One interesting thing is that this filter seems quite a bit different than the one that come with the transmission OEM. I think there was a running change after the first model year. The first one had a metal outer housing and steel center tube, but a conventional cellulose media. Sadly, I can't find the pictures I took of that filter. Based on the media though, this one seems like a better filter.

Interesting filter. So were you saying the plastic endcaps held well to the wire mesh, or not? Kinda unclear when you said, "I'm sure I buy it". I will say that your wire filter mesh looks to be of finer gauge wire than that used in the Fram Ultra. The Ultra wire backing is relatively thick, perhaps why metal endcap is preferable for that application.

Was the filter easy to remove and install a new one. I ask because my Accord has what's supposed to be a non serviceable trans filter similar in design to yours but with metal endcaps. It's a real pita to replace, but contrary to Honda's opinion, it's fairly well accepted that it should be replaced at some interval.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Interesting filter. So were you saying the plastic endcaps held well to the wire mesh, or not? Kinda unclear when you said, "I'm sure I buy it". I will say that your wire filter mesh looks to be of finer gauge wire than that used in the Fram Ultra. The Ultra wire backing is relatively thick, perhaps why metal endcap is preferable for that application.

Yeah, I caught that after the edit was timed out... I meant to say "I'm not sure I buy it". Maybe there are some disadvantaged to bonding wire mesh to plastic, but I can't tell by this filter. There wasn't an excessive amount of glue, and the bonded area was stronger than the wire mesh. The only way to open the filter was actually to cut/pull the mesh apart. The bonded area never weakened, at all. That said, you're right, not all wire mesh is the same, so maybe that's a consideration.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Was the filter easy to remove and install a new one. I ask because my Accord has what's supposed to be a non serviceable trans filter similar in design to yours but with metal endcaps. It's a real pita to replace, but contrary to Honda's opinion, it's fairly well accepted that it should be replaced at some interval.

Thanks for the pics.

I've replaced a CRV filter and this filter (the CRV filter is similar to the Accord, I'm pretty sure). They're both a PITA, but in different ways. I think shop time is 1.5-2 hours to change this one. You have to remove a wheel, then remove a transmission/engine mount to gain access to the filter housing. The first time I didn't use an impact wrench and it took forever. With the impact, I got it done in an hour. Once you get access, it's pretty simple, though still more involved than on the Honda.

^^^^Thanks for that info, doesn't sound like it was a walk in the park either. I know I will have to do the Accord sometime, just hoping my back will hold up, which having read some Honda forums on it, seems to be a major complaint.

About the same price as the Subaru full-flow / bypass spin-on filter they use. Expensive? Yes, but necessary.

JOD you do know that the cvt transmission is different in almost every way than than a normal AT right? It seems that everyone is under the impression that there is some after market cheap-o filter out there. This filter not being replaced is the cause of many of many very expensive CVT transmissions needing to be replaced. The fluid is under high pressure in the CVT because it uses M0torcraft CVT fluid as lubricant and hydraulic fluid to move the position of the belt. From what I have read they are expensive to rebuild and unreliable when done so you are either stuck with a used or a $4000 new transmission. Sorry had to get that out there. Here's how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47caRqbbnE

That being said sorry to bring up an old thread but My 06 Freestlyle is due for a Fluid and Filter change. How difficult was this and would you recommend it to someone who has only done minor work but lots of it. Such as brakes , plugs on these freestyles which is actually tough, suspension work and various others. I can do just about anything with good enough instructions. I would probably buy chilton manual or mitchel1 account

Last edited:
The trans holds up well. I have only worked on a few of them. I can tell you that the fluid is CVT fluid. In traning for this trans we were told the fluid is what helps the vairitors to grab the chain and no other fluid can do this job. And with line pressures way up there filtering dirt key.

Is the filter change drain and filter change a tough job without a lift? I can get the car about 18" in the air with my stands. Just wondering if I should pay the premium for the dealership to do it or not.

Ford uses a similar looking filter in their 5R110 tranny in the SD trucks.

That looks like a bypass element filter. Which is exactly how it's used in the 5R110.

Can you be a bit more investigative and describe the specific application as it applies to flow, etc?

Look at the Wix filter for the SD trucks and you'll see the similarity. I'm not saying these are the same. I'm saying it's possible that they used a similar filter concept for your vehicle as they did the SD. Wix #57702.

Last edited:
i cant see the pics. There is 2 filters in this trans. the on ein the pan for all fluid and one in the side case for the high pressure system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back