Tires with Built-In Camber

Status
Not open for further replies.
".......John Scott has invented a tire with a constantly variable diameter, according to his patent. In other words, they slant. The inside diameter of the tire is less than the outside diameter and so the tread surface slants from sidewall to sidewall........"

"...........Because the tire is not being forced through a turn but rolling that way naturally it seems to get much better grip, better response and better subjective feel, not to mention less rolling resistance, less wear, less tread scrub and far less heat generation............."

http://tires.about.com/b/2013/04/12/the-sense-filled-rantings-of-john-scott.htm

I've run tires with built-in camber before: when I cross-rotate my nearly worn-out track tires to get a couple more track days from them. I don't really notice much difference in handling.

The only way "cambered" tires work is by adding a ton of negative camber on the suspension as well. Since most cars can't be adjusted this much, they are basically useless for the street.

They also cause additional stresses to the suspension components which wears them (the suspension) out quicker.

It wouldn't go straight if it is like that, and when it is forced to go straight it would be riding on the taller side, wear it down much sooner.

"We used two Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution test cars - one with standard Yokohama Advan A13 original equipment tires and factory camber settings (see results chart), one with front and rear suspensions reset with negative camber."

...optimize the stock tires alignment settings and then we'll see what's what.

Pretty cool that the guy is marketing this though. This may take off in racing circles but I don't imagine that we'll see much for the street.

So many truths strung together in a patent that makes it wrong.

His argument about turning "on a square" tyre are sort of true, and a conical section DOES turn automatically, but having two opposing cones thrusting at each other in a straight line is pretty dumb for a street car, just like wicked camber thrust is bad.

Whole idea of negative camber is to get the tyre to stand up straight in a hard corner...too much bounces the car off line on bumpy straights, and uses fuel (and tread).

Saw one invention years ago that had a 15" inner rim diameter, 14 inch outer, and square tread that was supposed to provide "advantages" but was completely bassackwards in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back