185/65R14 Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prizm I recently bought came equipped with the finest circa 2006, dry cracked, tires with many broken belts. This needs to change. I'm budgeting $300, I get free mounting/balancing. My usual go to is the General Altimax HP. However, Kumho has a $50 rebate on the Solus KH16, that would work out to $198 for the set vs $280 for the generals. The Kumho isn't as highly regarded on the tirerack surveys, particularly in winter performance, where I love the HP. Am I missing anything others here? I tend to drive fast and prefer a H rated tire.

EDIT What about the Kumho Sense KR26?

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Toyo Extensa A/S? Since you're in Michigan, Belle Tire sells them. Have them on my Civic and they're really good in snow and rain, comfortable ride, and balance up well. Belle has the T-rated which I didn't want. They had to order up the H-rated version of the 185/65-14 tire. It cost me about $80 a tire. What is really cool they're made here in the states, in the state of Georgia!

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/extensa-as-passenger-all-season-tires

Go for the tire that handles well in the Winter. You'll kick yourself for the extra $100 if you are sliding all over the road in January.

The KH16 is actually pretty good, it is only bad for those who had them for OEM as they use the same brand but completely different compound (low rolling resistance).

It is one of the few AA traction tire in this category, and the block pattern is very quiet (Michelin / continental knock off). But this kind of pattern is not good for snow, FYI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: researcher
Have you looked at the Toyo Extensa A/S? Since you're in Michigan, Belle Tire sells them. Have them on my Civic and they're really good in snow and rain, comfortable ride, and balance up well. Belle has the T-rated which I didn't want. They had to order up the H-rated version of the 185/65-14 tire. It cost me about $80 a tire. What is really cool they're made here in the states, in the state of Georgia!

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/extensa-as-passenger-all-season-tires

What is your criteria for tires?

195-60-14 is also a nice +ZERO size for your PRISM.

I had 195-60-14 on an '88 Honda Accord. After many years to reduce cost, I changed to 185-65-14 so, both tires are interchangable and the same goes for the PRISM.

If you want a bit higher performance out of a tire without changing the wheels, I would suggest moving to 195's as I mentioned.

If $300 is your budget, you may want to stay with 185's.

Originally Posted By: default
The Prizm I recently bought came equipped with the finest circa 2006, dry cracked, tires with many broken belts. This needs to change. I'm budgeting $300, I get free mounting/balancing. My usual go to is the General Altimax HP. However, Kumho has a $50 rebate on the Solus KH16, that would work out to $198 for the set vs $280 for the generals. The Kumho isn't as highly regarded on the tirerack surveys, particularly in winter performance, where I love the HP. Am I missing anything others here? I tend to drive fast and prefer a H rated tire.

I am quite happy with the H727 in that size I have on my Saturn SL1, and there is just so much performance to be squeezed out of a Prizm---but since you already rejected the H727 and insist on an H-rating, how about: http://is.gd/zTe4Su

Plus-one size should help with road handling, price is well within your budget and ratings and reviews are decent-to-good. It's in the same category as the Altimax HP and rated just below it. Winter ratings are decent, but of course that's relative for an H-rated grand touring tire a size wider than OE.

Plus you might get a set made in the USA, which is good. Downside is a mere 40K treadwear warranty....but if you want performance and road handling there's no free lunch, etc.

Well over your budget but maybe worth a look is the Nokian WR G2.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

I am quite happy with the H727 in that size I have on my Saturn SL1, and there is just so much performance to be squeezed out of a Prizm---but since you already rejected the H727 and insist on an H-rating, how about: http://is.gd/zTe4Su

Plus-one size should help with road handling, price is well within your budget and ratings and reviews are decent-to-good. It's in the same category as the Altimax HP and rated just below it. Winter ratings are decent, but of course that's relative for an H-rated grand touring tire a size wider than OE.

Plus you might get a set made in the USA, which is good. Downside is a mere 40K treadwear warranty....but if you want performance and road handling there's no free lunch, etc.

Well over your budget but maybe worth a look is the Nokian WR G2.

Good luck.

OK, I guess 195/60/14 is actually plus zero, not plus one, compared to 185/65/14.

The Fuzion in 195/60R14 looks good, I didnt know those were made by Bridgestone, always assumed they were maypops.

The Fuzion in 195/60R14 looks good, I didnt know those were made by Bridgestone, always assumed they were maypops.

From what you describe as your wants and needs they could be a good choice. Just be sure they will fit on your wheels. Supposedly 5.5" is the minimum width, though I've heard of tire installers who can make almost any tire fit. (Point is that my Saturn's wheels are 5" wide, so 185 is the widest approved tire width. Not sure about Prizm wheels.)

If I were driving a Prizm as a DD in Michigan I would put winter performance high on the list, but if you want road feel, handling, etc., the Fuzion sounds good.

The Kumho KH16 seems okay based upon both survey and TR test results.
For a couple of hundred bucks for four tires, why not?

the kh16's are either ok or dreadful.. depending on if its an oem fitment size or not.

Yes I am one of the ones who had them as oem. They were terrible.

Might consider
these

Last edited:
Is going to the width limits of my wheel (5.5") going to effect the handling/feedback at all?

If you can find them - Uniroyal Tigerpaws. Excellent tires. Another great tire for snow traction is the Pirelli P4. My 2 cents.

Another good option :

Kelly Charger GT

American made. Goodyear is having a special sale next weekend with upto $60 instant off with additional rebates upto $160 off a set of 4. Dunlop Signature II is another good option, 65k warranty and good winter rating from CR.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Another good option :

Kelly Charger GT

American made. Goodyear is having a special sale next weekend with upto $60 instant off with additional rebates upto $160 off a set of 4. Dunlop Signature II is another good option, 65k warranty and good winter rating from CR.

I have run Kelly Charger's in the past. ATMOF, they were 195-60-14 on the '88 Honda Accord that I mentioned earlier. I liked'em very much along with some other brands. This size doesn't come cheap though, which is why I decided to change to the 185-65-14's in a more performance oriented tire compared to a "standard passenger" tire. The 185's were still cheaper than the 195's in the same brand.

If the OP has a budget, only shopping around will help! I recomend either size for that Prism.

I hope that the "NEW" Dunlop Signature II's don't become as noisy(as they age) as the old Signature's. Noisy, is an understatement.

Last edited:
They havent yet. I did hate the old Signatures as well. The new ones however seem to be working well for a lot of our customers. One of them even commented that they rode quieter than the Comfortreds she had before! I wouldnt go that far but hey maybe .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back