We bought a new MTD lawnmower today,oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought an MTD lawnmower with a 500E Briggs and Stratton engine. It came with a bottle of Arnold SAE30 oil,and it says "For initial startup only" on the bottle. What exactly does that mean? Should I use it,or go buy a good SAE30 synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Prolly a break in oil with zddp for the cam. Id use it

Awesome,thanks!

I'd use it. Considering most people run that oil for years without changing it and the engine runs perfectly, it must be decent enough.

Run it for a few mows and change it if you want your best bet.

I bought an MTD-made Craftsman mower a few years ago. The Sears manual was very outdated and recommended straight 30. I went to the B and S website and downloaded the manual for my specific engine, which had different oil recommendations.

It might not hurt to check out the Briggs manual for your engine to see what oil to use.

Last summer, I used the straight 30-weight (factory supplied) oil for my new Honda mower for 3 mowings and then changed it out for another dino 30-weight oil for a month. Then upgraded to Amsoil 0W-30 for the rest of the summer.

Drained the synthetic this spring and went with 0W-30 again with Lubro Moly and will keep this oil in until spring 2014.

Looking through the manual,it says 5W30/10W30 can cause oil consumption in warm to hot weather,and goes on to recommend SAE30. Would some M1 15W50 from my oil stash be too thick after the initial run on the Arnold SAE30?

From the Pro-Lawn store that I buy my gear at they recommend running the factory fill for the first 5 hours.
Then change.
Run what the manual says for another 5 hours.
Then change.

I did the 5 hour thing and change 4x, as I change it hot, and the oil kept coming out looking like silver paint.

All I can say is do shorter OCI's at first, automotive engines are made to a higher standard than Lawn Mower engines.

Originally Posted By: volk06
After that sae 30 get yourself some rotella T5 10w30 syn blend.

+1 run the 30w for a few hours then do another 2-3 hour OCI with the rotella T5 then once maybe twice a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cat843
Sorry to hear you got an MTD!

My family has a 13 year old MTD riding mower. Has had minimal maintenance in all those years. Other than a fuel delivery hose that dried out and a slightly leaky muffler, it has been flawless. Last spring, on gas that had been in the tank all winter, it fired right up on the first crank.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I did the 5 hour thing and change 4x, as I change it hot, and the oil kept coming out looking like silver paint.
All I can say is do shorter OCI's at first, automotive engines are made to a higher standard than Lawn Mower engines.

Right. Dump the break-in oil after 1/2 -1 hr at most, and then take look at all the metallic glitter in the oil.

Air cooled engines need heavy duty straight 30 wt. preferably an HDEO like Shell Rotella, especially in a hot climate as SW Texas, (15w-40 is okay as well). No passenger car oils.

The 15w-50 should do well also as it supposedly has decent ZDDP levels.

we got a new mower this year also with a 500cc briggs engine. It came with the oil installed. Before I even started it I drained it and fill with Rotella T5 10w-30 and a splash of MOS2. So far it has about 5 hours on it and it hasn't used a drop of oil... which reminds me I need to dump and refill.. been having to much fun mowing grass, lol

Last edited:
since you're in South Texas: run & drain the factory supplied oil- then, IMO, get a gallon of straight 30 wt HDEO, like Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc. You'll be good for several oil changes, & it's very tough stuff, really good for small hard-working air cooled engines in hot weather. Or the 15w40 if you prefer. But down there I'd go with the straight 30.

And remember- if lotsa sand/dust kicks up when you mow, the air filter will have a *Much* greater influence on engine life than the motor oil.
wink.gif

I run straight 30 in my push mower. I have experimented with 5w-30 and 10w-40, and I won't be running the 5w-30 again. The straight 30 is water thin when drained hot but I only have to add about 2 or 3 ounces once a year. May experiment with Valvoline 10w-30 next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back