Sometimes it is really just the care of tires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard many things said about many different tires over the years, but I'm sure of one thing: If you take care of them, they will take care of you. All three sets of tires (knock on wood) are doing well...

Kelly Nav Golds- Just turned 30k on them. Still have a good 60-70 percent tread left, and even with mostly city driving, should make the 70k warranty with no issues. No dry rot, and looks good for a 3 year old tire....

Sumitomo HTR 4- For a cheap tire, color me impressed. Have nearly 25k on these, and there looks to be at least 70 percent left, which means these I'll get my money out of these too. Pretty good in dry and rain, okay in snow. I was not expecting much of of these (were cheaper than the kellys). Not bad!

General Altimax RT- only had these for 2k, but I love the way they handle already. Good in light snow, rain, fun in dry!
grin.gif
Wondered if MPGs would go down with these, but it looks to be not the case...one true thing though-under 32 degrees, they turn into rocks...

Just thought I'd share about my tires...that you can make any tire work. I think my success with these tires, even with the fact that there is quite a bit of city driving, is that I rotate these guys like clockwork every 5-5.5k. Seems to be keeping the wear down..(or my grandpa driving!
grin.gif
wink.gif
)

Your thoughts and comments are welcome...
smile.gif

Tire life depends on the car, some cars are easy on tire and some cars are not.

The original tires Goodyear Eagle F1 on my E430 lasted only 14k miles, partially because of alignment, partially because of the tread compound. The replacement tires lasted about 25-30k miles even they were rotated regularly.

The rear tires of my S2000 lasted only 10-15k miles while the front lasted about 20-25k miles.

I do believe cars make a huge difference. Lighter cars in general tend to be much easier on tires than heavy cars too. My Mercury Sable is hard on tires and I have had other Sable with the same trouble. I get an 80,000 mile tires that usually last 40,000. With my smaller cars in the past I have nearly always gotten over the mileage on the tires. Trucks and SUV's tend to be different and tire wear can be either very good or really lousy and I do not know why. It may have to do with the suspension. I have alignments done regularly and never any issues with it. My Grand Marquis is surprisingly fairly gentle on tires for a bigger car.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I do believe cars make a huge difference. Lighter cars in general tend to be much easier on tires than heavy cars too. My Mercury Sable is hard on tires and I have had other Sable with the same trouble. I get an 80,000 mile tires that usually last 40,000. With my smaller cars in the past I have nearly always gotten over the mileage on the tires. Trucks and SUV's tend to be different and tire wear can be either very good or really lousy and I do not know why. It may have to do with the suspension. I have alignments done regularly and never any issues with it. My Grand Marquis is surprisingly fairly gentle on tires for a bigger car.

The Grand marquis has a solid axle in the rear and a MUCH more substantial front suspension.

Tauruses and Sables were absolutely HORRIBLE on tires. Ford specs a good amount of negative camber, they always break springs / struts (affecting camber even more), and the suspensions really aren't that substntial. They are impossible to keep in alignment.

I did have my front driver side strut break while driving with the family at 70mph on the highway. Found out there was a safety recall on it last year after it happened. They said the safety recall was only being done after it failed. Also there was a 10 year and 150,000 limit on this. At the time my car was 10 years 6 months and 80,000 miles. Ford would not help at all with this. If they would have split costs or showed some help that would have meant alot. So guess who will not be buying another Ford product over the next maybe 40 years of my driving life.

I did have my front driver side strut break while driving with the family at 70mph on the highway. Found out there was a safety recall on it last year after it happened. They said the safety recall was only being done after it failed. Also there was a 10 year and 150,000 limit on this. At the time my car was 10 years 6 months and 80,000 miles. Ford would not help at all with this. If they would have split costs or showed some help that would have meant alot. So guess who will not be buying another Ford product over the next maybe 40 years of my driving life.

I hit a bump on the highway and snapped both fronts on mine at the same time. That was a ... fun experience.

I also snapped both rear, but, thankfully, didn't put them through the tires.

I'm running the Altimax RT's on 3 cars, now. I agree with the cold weather grip. Highest mileage is 60K, but I'm expecting at least 100. Last set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws went about 120K before the tread got thin.

If I keep my Honda long enough I will be due for tires, and I am thinking about the Altimax RT as well.
Just want something quiet that works in 3 seasons. I have dedicated winter tires for that 1 season
smile.gif

I also swore off Ford products after my Taurus literally rusted in half at 9 years and 75000 miles.

however, the cheapest vehicle with under 50,000 miles happened to be a brand new 2011 Focus when I needed a car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Tire life depends on the car, some cars are easy on tire and some cars are not.

The original tires Goodyear Eagle F1 on my E430 lasted only 14k miles, partially because of alignment, partially because of the tread compound. The replacement tires lasted about 25-30k miles even they were rotated regularly.

The rear tires of my S2000 lasted only 10-15k miles while the front lasted about 20-25k miles.

True, it does depend on the car (size and use). The Impala eating tires is another good example.

But, more cars I'd like to hope can make it at least close to a warranty...

It looks like keeping up with the car as a system is needed. Keep up the rotation, which allows checking on brakes and suspension components for undue wear. Replace those as needed so the tires aren't making up for worn components by wearing faster. Rinse and repeat.

Selecting good tires helps too.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I've heard many things said about many different tires over the years, but I'm sure of one thing: If you take care of them, they will take care of you. All three sets of tires (knock on wood) are doing well...you can make any tire work. I think my success with these tires, even with the fact that there is quite a bit of city driving, is that I rotate these guys like clockwork every 5-5.5k. Seems to be keeping the wear down..(or my grandpa driving!
grin.gif
wink.gif
)

smile.gif

Yes....I just rotated mine @ 5200 mi. and crossed the front to rear to further even out wear...

Last edited:
I've heard many things said about many different tires over the years, but I'm sure of one thing: If you take care of them, they will take care of you. All three sets of tires (knock on wood) are doing well...

Kelly Nav Golds- Just turned 30k on them. Still have a good 60-70 percent tread left, and even with mostly city driving, should make the 70k warranty with no issues. No dry rot, and looks good for a 3 year old tire....

Sumitomo HTR 4- For a cheap tire, color me impressed. Have nearly 25k on these, and there looks to be at least 70 percent left, which means these I'll get my money out of these too. Pretty good in dry and rain, okay in snow. I was not expecting much of of these (were cheaper than the kellys). Not bad!

General Altimax RT- only had these for 2k, but I love the way they handle already. Good in light snow, rain, fun in dry!
grin.gif
Wondered if MPGs would go down with these, but it looks to be not the case...one true thing though-under 32 degrees, they turn into rocks...

Just thought I'd share about my tires...that you can make any tire work. I think my success with these tires, even with the fact that there is quite a bit of city driving, is that I rotate these guys like clockwork every 5-5.5k. Seems to be keeping the wear down..(or my grandpa driving!
grin.gif
wink.gif
)

smile.gif

It's funny because I had Sumitomo HTRs on my Elantra previously and really didn't like them. They were awesome for the first 10k miles- sticky, dead quiet, smooth. But afterwards, they developed annoying vibrations and pulling several Road Force balances, rotations and alignments could never cure. They also became noisy. But despite these issues, the wore very well and had 7/32 in. tread left when I dumped them at 30k miles.

Last edited:

I have exactly the same issue with my Sable. 80000 Yoko Avid TRZ's are going to last only 30k to 40k miles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I also swore off Ford products after my Taurus literally rusted in half at 9 years and 75000 miles.

I just hit 9 years and 73k miles
confused2.gif

Replaced all 4 struts at 70k because the fronts were going.

About to replace 2 tires on the rear.

I'm guessing the slowly worsening struts wore down the current tires faster. Lets see what happens.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

grin.gif

grin.gif
wink.gif
)

smile.gif

It's funny because I had Sumitomo HTRs on my Elantra previously and really didn't like them. They were awesome for the first 10k miles- sticky, dead quiet, smooth. But afterwards, they developed annoying vibrations and pulling several Road Force balances, rotations and alignments could never cure. They also became noisy. But despite these issues, the wore very well and had 7/32 in. tread left when I dumped them at 30k miles.

They do have a little noise to them, but it never bothers me..Cobalts are not quiet by any means...
wink.gif

I have somewhere around 4k miles on my General Altimax RTs and I have been happy with them. They seem to be an excellent tire for the money. One thing I've noticed is these tires enjoy collecting pebbles for a hobby. I hope these last longer than the OEM tires I had on my Mazda.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I have somewhere around 4k miles on my General Altimax RTs and I have been happy with them. They seem to be an excellent tire for the money. One thing I've noticed is these tires enjoy collecting pebbles for a hobby. I hope these last longer than the OEM tires I had on my Mazda.

Yeah, I noticed that too....interesting things about them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back