Better Turkey load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey season opens tomorrow. I have found some 3 1/2" #6 lead shot with 2 1/4 oz shot and some 3" hevi-shot #4 with 1 1/4 oz shot. Which will have better range for getting those gobblers? I think the 3 1/2 will be hard to be with all the extra shot. Shooting a Berreta semi auto.

More important than what you are shooting, is how it shoots.

Have you patterned these loads?

If not how do you know they are anywhere near point of aim?
Or how they act with your specific shotgun and specific choke.

I've seen 2 Remington 870's side by side shoot totally different patterns to different points of aim.

If you're looking for advice, yeah the 3 1/2" shells will pack more pellets downrange, but also carry a penalty in recoil. Be careful with 3 1/2" loads, they will knock your fillings loose.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
More important than what you are shooting, is how it shoots.

Have you patterned these loads?

If not how do you know they are anywhere near point of aim?
Or how they act with your specific shotgun and specific choke.

I've seen 2 Remington 870's side by side shoot totally different patterns to different points of aim.

If you're looking for advice, yeah the 3 1/2" shells will pack more pellets downrange, but also carry a penalty in recoil. Be careful with 3 1/2" loads, they will knock your fillings loose.

So very true, good advice
wink.gif
It's all about the pattern when it comes to shotguns, bigger is not always better. Pattern the shotgun and sleep in peace.
cool.gif

I did not get to pattern these loads. I shot a turkey last about 40 yards with 3 1/2 #4 and cannot find these loads after moving. I have shot ducks with the Hevi shot some out to 100 yards and they drop dead. I love hevi shot but think the extra payload will serve me better. I will try walmert this morning and see what they have. I will try to post a pic if I get one.

The last I used was Remington "HD"(heavi-shot) in size #6, worked wonderful. You can go a size smaller(than lead) when using the HD or heavi-shot loads.

No turkey just did not see any. Wind was strong and temps were a bit cool. Did find some lead #4's in 3 1/2" at Wally World before going. Will try again later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back