Gaming on HD LCD TV vs CRT TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I got an XBOX 360. I use it with the 40'' HDTV.
I can only use it for about an hour before I get a massive headache and cant' see poop.

Today, I spent 8 hours playing Xbox 360 on a Friend's old style low def CRT TV.

Generally, when I use CRT monitors, I have a massive headache.

After 8 hours of Xbox infront of the CRT TV ... I had no problems.

So, what I'm wondreing, is - is it possible that the low def TV isn't straining my eyes as much?

Anyone else have this happen?

How are you hooking up the xbox? Hdmi or componant? And what make and model is the Tv? Its Most likey from motion blur or flicker from the refresh rate of the monitor.

As for CRT monitors... they usually flicker at 60 hz... But if a CRT supports higher refresh rates like 85 or even higher, it looks great with no flicker
smile.gif

Last edited:
I tend to feel kind of "blah" after a long gaming session these days, but I don't know if that is just a result of me being 30 vs. my 18 year old self gaming on a CRT or what.

+1 for longer breaks over a long gaming session.

I have a PS3 connected to a 42" LCD TV, I used to play with it attached to a CRT TV. Both were attached via HDMI cable, the CRT was through a converter.
Never had an eye or headache problem.

Also, how big is your HD TV? How close are you sitting away from it?
Your eyes could be working overtime trying to absorb all that data from up close. Kind of like sitting on the very front row of a Movie Theater, it's killer on your eyes due to your eyes working overtime to take it all in.

I find a LOT of folks buy the biggest TV they can fit on a wall, and not a TV that fits the size of the room.
For instance, you need to sit something around 15'- 20' away from a 70" TV for your eyes to absorb the entire screen.

Some people have their televisions set much too bright, more of a potential problem with an LCD as that's the tech with the highest brightness potential. Could just be eyestrain from that.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Your eyes could be working overtime trying to absorb all that data from up close. Kind of like sitting on the very front row of a Movie Theater, it's killer on your eyes due to your eyes working overtime to take it all in.

Awesome point.

Figure, we were all used to gaming on 27" CRTs, which you could practically sit on top of and still not have it fill your entire field of vision.

I force myself to sit on the couch, about 8-9 feet away, when gaming on my 46". Keeping the brightness down is a good idea too. A good purchase for any TV, not just ones used for gaming, is a cheap calibration DVD. It may not be as good as a professional calibration (certainly cheaper though), but it will get the brightness down to a reasonable and watchable level.

It's a 40'' 1080P and I have the XBox configured for HD.

The TV fits the room. The TV is about 10 feet away a bit more. As my eyesight fades, I find myself getting closer. So if I start 15 feet away, I'll be at 4 or 5 by the time i'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back