Mix Amsoil MCF 10W40 and Amsoil MCV 20W50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mixing oils that have different base oil and additive carrier & chemistry is a bad idea, but what about mixing these two (subj line) oils? They're both PAO and both most likely using the same blend stock for the additive solubility carrier, and I would bet the same additives. So if you wanted something thicker than the MCF but thinner than the MCV... (?)

Pablo would be best to answer this. I would say there is no problem. I believe they share similar chemistry. You can mix most oils and won't see any problems. The idea behind mixing oils of different chemistry is you create sort of an unknown mixture. You may think it's the best thing in the world but you really don't know.

Yes, it is only because they may share very similar if not identical additive packages that I thought about this, the difference being in the VII's.

LoneRanger.....last summer I added a qt of the MCV to 3 qts of
MCF in an effort to keep the viscosity up longer than it had been doing on MCF alone. The lab reports from before and after showed no real difference in contents of the oil and the viscosity did hold up much better. During the period before the test, I used the heavier oil for topping up, 6-8 oz in all.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
LoneRanger.....last summer I added a qt of the MCV to 3 qts of
MCF in an effort to keep the viscosity up longer than it had been doing on MCF alone. The lab reports from before and after showed no real difference in contents of the oil and the viscosity did hold up much better. During the period before the test, I used the heavier oil for topping up, 6-8 oz in all.

I am thinking along the lines of doing something like this in my Ducati. More like a 50/50 mix to render something along the lines of a "15W-45" ... I need a blessing from an Amsoil tech however, prior to doing it. I have an Amsoil preferred customer PIN# good for 6 month trial period I ask the Amsoil rep who signed me up for it this question and never recieved a reply. Other Amsoil reps say they can't answer it only the sponsoring rep can and he won't reply at all. So far, tech support from Amsoil not looking too keen!

"Q. Why two oils, are they both the same?

A. Yes, both MCF (10W-40) and MCV (20W-50) are identical in technological capabilities. The only thing that is different is the oil viscosity!"

Interesting. This may be the answer I am seeking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - mix away. I have a few customers doing this with no issues.

But please no other dealer links. Thanks.

Why the heck did you sign up with another dealer?????

Didn't mean to step on toes. Thanks for the info. If I could un-signup I would, he has ignored my tech questions via no reply.

I've got a case of amsoil's straight 60 grade in my garage. That stuff was just awesome in my Harley and the only oil I would even consider running 5000 miles or more in my bike.
But I'm giving this thinner is better mantra a shot for a few thousand miles so it's gonna have to wait til mid summer before I use it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Didn't mean to step on toes. Thanks for the info. If I could un-signup I would, he has ignored my tech questions via no reply.

No toes stepped on but you've been here since 2007, seems a little odd, that you didn't choose a BITOG sponsor. When did you sign up?

Couldn't he like wait it out until his trial period is done, and then sign up with Pablo if he wants to continue being a preferred customer? I can't see Amsoil making him continue with a dealer who won't even respond to him.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Couldn't he like wait it out until his trial period is done, and then sign up with Pablo if he wants to continue being a preferred customer? I can't see Amsoil making him continue with a dealer who won't even respond to him.

That's what we have agreed to do. No issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back