GMX E-mail Blocked By Some Sites/Providers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In June/July of last year I had to change my personal e-mail provider and, after some research/experimentation, decided to go with GMX. In general, I've been very satisfied and it's been working well. But I've run into a few things recently that have me a bit concerned.

First, I've had a handful of people tell me that they never got my messages. I didn't give it much though because that kind of stuff happens and is usually when someone doesn't understand their spam settings and doesn't look in their spam folder.

Second, I've had a handful of messages bounce with vague SMTP messages like "Denied" when the recipient has a known good/active e-mail address.

Third, I've encountered a case where when trying to register for a forum account on a site, it simply wouldn't let me register with a gmx.com address.

Does anyone know if GMX is overused/abused by hackers and such to get free e-mail addresses that it might be blacklisted to the extent that I may need/want to consider moving to another provider?

BTW... let's not turn this into a "why not just use Gmail" thread. That's already been beat to death.
18.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc
after some research/experimentation, decided to go with GMX.

During your research/experimentation, what did you find out that caused you to choose this provider? Knowing these things might help us advise you.

I suspect that there are a lot of spammers on GMX (since it's free and easy), so some mail servers just reject it immediately.

It's poor practice not to spit back some sort of "rejected" or "denied" message though.

Occasionally my parents' ISP will reject my Gmail messages for no reason.

I have used GMX Email as an IMAP account in Thunderbird in both Windows and Linux. Seldom use their web based email. Have also used GMX in Windows using Windows Live Mail and have had no issues.

Sounds like the problem is that the folks you are sending email to don't have you white listed in their email account and based on subject, etc., it is going to their spam or junk folder.

I have tried Gmail, Live Email, Hotmail, etc., and am sold on GMX.

Have never had an issue using GMX for on-line stuff either.

I have tried all kinds of email programs too over the years and like the Free Thunderbird from the same folks as the Firefox web browser.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
GMX fed me spam galore.

What do you mean by that? I get virtually no spam and don't even have GMX's spam stuff turned on.

Are you saying that you don't think GMX's spam-filtering was good because a lot was getting through it. I could see that being a possibility, but I don't see GMX sending you the spam.

Sticking to the topic at hand (which isn't why I picked GMX, why I preferred it over the others, etc.) the thing I wonder the most about is #3 in my original post. Why would a site prevent me from registering with a gmx.com address?

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Post the site and I will try it with my GMX account.

I believe it was rimfirecentral.com, because all of the forum notifications are being sent to a Gmail account that I have for secondary/backup use.

Ive used GMX since 2002 (euro version, gmx.com is only recent). Why? because then, when yahoo and hotmail and lycos were giving 25 or 50 MB of space, GMX was giving 1GB. I generally used outlook to pull mail, so it worked fine.

I have noticed that sometimes yahoo bounces it back, and it appears that comcast usually does.

I get next to no spam, and it works well. Better than my accounts from other vendors. I do have a gmail as a recent thing and it gets no spam, but I have more concerns with how they mine my private information.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I do have a gmail as a recent thing and it gets no spam,

Hmm... my gmail accounts get plenty of spam, but Google is pretty good about automatically moving them to the spam folder, so that I don't even see them coming in. Once in a blue moon a non-spam mail will end up there, too, but generally it works well.

I can't use any email addresses with my domain ... that I specifically purchased so I wouldn't have a gmail / hotmail / etc address.

Turns out someone sent out a bunch of spam through my hosting provider's SMTP servers and they're blocked almost everywhere.

Live and learn.

I just ran into another example. AutoTrader.com would not allow me to use my GMX address when listing a vehicle for sale. I had to use my Gmail address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back