Diff Fluid for 14 Bolt Full-Floater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to go thru and swap in a full-floating diff form a 1 ton into my C2500, and am curious what a good fluid spec should be for one of these.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Is the gear ratio the same? Your speedo may be off.

Speedo is driven off the trans, so no it won't. But, I'm going from a 3.73 to a 4.10. Spoke to my tuner (truck has an 0411 PCM swap and custom tune) and he said the shift points should be the same between both gears, so he said I should be a-ok to just swap.

Originally Posted By: KenO

Speedo is driven off the trans, so no it won't. But, I'm going from a 3.73 to a 4.10. Spoke to my tuner (truck has an 0411 PCM swap and custom tune) and he said the shift points should be the same between both gears, so he said I should be a-ok to just swap.
IF the speedo is driven from a VSS on a FRONT wheel, the rear end ratio doesn't matter, but if from the transmission it does.

The speedo would need a calibration to compensate for the new axle ratio.

Any old 80W90 would suffice for lubrication. 14 bolts are stout and not picky.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

IF the speedo is driven from a VSS on a FRONT wheel, the rear end ratio doesn't matter, but if from the transmission it does.

Good point. I'll double check with him on this. Thanks!

As I sated in another thread, an E-P additive is needed to prevent galling and wear of the drive pinion, ring gear, and axle bearings.

What you need in a hypoid differential is a lubricant that has a protection level of GL-5 with a PI package that has an Extreme Pressure (E-P) additive.

As others have recommended, you need to use a 75W90 or 75W110 lube such as a Lubricant Engineer's or Amsoil gear lube.

Last edited:
It will need the speedo recalibrated. It will read slow by about 10%.

But, thats besides the point.

Honestly, the abuse those things survive is amazing. And gear oil will work. Just make sure that if it has a G80 you don't use limited slip friction modifiers because the clutches are designed to work without it, and will actually slip with it. For this reason I avoid vavoline full synthetic since it includes limited slip formula.

I had my yukon apart the other night and autozone had mobil 1 85w90 for $10/quart. Not too expensive when the cheapest was still $7/quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevy_man
It will need the speedo recalibrated. It will read slow by about 10%.

But, thats besides the point.

Honestly, the abuse those things survive is amazing. And gear oil will work. Just make sure that if it has a G80 you don't use limited slip friction modifiers because the clutches are designed to work without it, and will actually slip with it. For this reason I avoid vavoline full synthetic since it includes limited slip formula.

I had my yukon apart the other night and autozone had mobil 1 85w90 for $10/quart. Not too expensive when the cheapest was still $7/quart.

Ya, Walmart has gallons of Supertech gear oil for like $12. Do we think thats adequate??

Ya, Walmart has gallons of Supertech gear oil for like $12. Do we think thats adequate??

I use it in everything. Has always served me well, even in racing applications.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
14 bolts are stout and not picky.

Correct.

Any GL-5 rated hypoid gear oil will suffice just fine.
Use syn's if you expect greatly extended OCIs.
Any grade from 75-90 up to 80-140 and any reasonable option in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back