Diff of GM GL-4 and GL-5 rear Axle fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I have a 1995 G20 van with a little over 80,000 miles on it that is getting the axel shafts replaced that I bought new from the dealer and with the G80 option differential. As I have been the sole owner of it, I can say the rear Axel fluid has never been changed.

In the factory GM manual I have for it, it states to use GM fluid PN: 1052271 and lists that as a 80-W-90 GL-5 fluid.

Guess I actually had bought some of this over the years and have one bottle with that number that is black and talks about being GL-4 in the back, and one that is more clear and says GL-4 on the front.

Now I have been doing a lot of research via that 1052271 number and many times I see a bulletin that all the G80 dif's should use the GL-5 and that the GM number for this is 12378261 or 89021677. Which also btw, is a 75-W-90

So first am just wondering if anyone has any info on what I should be using?

Then second and kinda this is actually more a point why I am going to all this fuss is, is it back to mix the two? In other words, if lets say I am just replacing these axle shafts and so just really just do a drain of the case, if it had before the GL-4 and I put in the GL-5, will that be bad from just a fluid to fluid compatibility standpoint to have all the old fluid residue in there that will be mixed with the new?

Thanks for any help.

Won't hurt a thing. Use dino or Syn 80W90 gear oil and don't worry about a thing. If you tow or haul alot, I would go ahead and use 75W140 syn and be done with it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't tow or haul persay, but I do use the truck for my HVAC business and while not all the time, I can put some heavy loads in it, and natively with all the tools in it, guess its pretty heavy for the most part.

Put it this way a maybe this is my fault for not changing or checking the fluid more (never say any puddles) but the axle shafts for only 80 miles are pretty wiped out. was quite surprising as to how much they had been ground down.

Btw, could you let me know what you mean by dino, as well, and recommendations for the Syn 80W90?

gl-4 has less additives if it requires gl-5.. gl-4 is bad.

you want any 75w90 gl-5 gear oil.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, a GL-4 fluid mainly has Anti-Wear additives and no E-P additive.

An E-P additive is needed to prevent galling and wear of the drive pinion, ring gear, and axle bearings.

What you need in a hypoid differential is a lubricant that has a protection level of GL-5 with a PI package that has an Extreme Pressure (E-P) additive.

As others have recommended, you need to use a 75W90 gear lube.

FWIW;
one of my JEEP trans spec'd for a GL-3 (AX-15 5spd)and JEEP guru's stick with or as close to spec as we can get. Reason for this is due to there use of "yellow metal's" in there gearbox, it's my understanding that part of the EP additive creates sulfur as a by-product when its used and that sulfur creates corrosion on "yellow metals", causing rough shifts and in the AX-15 (over time) makes it a PITA to get into 1st or reverse due to the corrosion on synchro's.
I found a product with the older spec through AMSOIL.

Quote:
one of my JEEP trans spec'd for a GL-3 (AX-15 5spd)and JEEP guru's stick with or as close to spec as we can get. Reason for this is due to there use of "yellow metal's" in there gearbox, it's my understanding that part of the EP additive creates sulfur as a by-product when its used and that sulfur creates corrosion on "yellow metals", causing rough shifts and in the AX-15 (over time) makes it a PITA to get into 1st or reverse due to the corrosion on synchro's.

You are going off topic here.

The OP is discussing a replacement DIFFERENTIAL gear lube, not a Manual Transmission fluid.

Disregard the myth of yellow metal attack.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like even though they gave a number for what apparently is a GL-4 fluid. Being that it also spoke of the fluid being GL-5, and as well with all the documentation I have seen that has been made since then, that the above number for the 75W-90 GL-5 fluid is what I should use, should just go with that.

Certainly from what I've read here, it doesn't sound like its hurting it any even if the axle was built to use GL-4.

So unless I hear otherwise, will go with the GL-5

Thanks a lot for all the help

Last edited:
eh...

What I need is to get this thing back on the road. Has worked OK for me since 1995 and for 80,000 miles. Have been trying to plan for a new truck but just really haven't been able to scrape the money together with this wonderful economy.

Being as this truck is how I could even make that money, just need to get it working again.

not off topic at all......its evidence of difference in add-paks per spec, which (if you read) was the bases of the question or concern. "is there any difference between GL-4, GL-5 ?". My post was not an EXACT reference hence"FWIW" but on topic none the less.

And until you have experienced the "brass synchro corrosion issue" with an AX-15,you probably shouldn't speak out of place! Maybe do some research on the issue, it's pretty common knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Well id get it fixed and in the mean time start looking for a full floater.

Should be a full-floater already. Even if it is the 9.5" 14, it's still plenty stout.

OP: did you get a pic of the shafts? Ive never seen one wear down the splines. [censored], I dont even know of anybody thats replaced one without breaking it.

I have seen a couple wear due to rust from non-use. One of them is a 96 that needed a new r&p at 10k miles, but it was 12 years old at that point. Had all sorts of pitting due to not having the fluid moved around.

[censored], it could have been bad from the factory, I had a 9.5" 14 go 300k before it needed anything, and the shafts were still in fine shape.

Hey guys, just to mention, I just ordered some fluid from my A/C Delco outlet but it kinda has a dif number and just thought as is dif topic, would start a new thread.

But just to mention, the number I read in the bulletin was GM: 89021677

The A/C Delco number is 10-4016 which then has the GM # 88900401

Both are 75W-90, both synthetic, both are GL-5, both are a quart, and both are mentioned to have grape scent.

Can't imagine its not the same stuff but at my Delco place got it for $18.00 a bottle.

Anyway, if any know if this stuff is not right, very welcome to post here or probably in the other thread.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevy_man
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Well id get it fixed and in the mean time start looking for a full floater.

Should be a full-floater already. Even if it is the 9.5" 14, it's still plenty stout.

OP: did you get a pic of the shafts? Ive never seen one wear down the splines. [censored], I dont even know of anybody thats replaced one without breaking it.

I have seen a couple wear due to rust from non-use. One of them is a 96 that needed a new r&p at 10k miles, but it was 12 years old at that point. Had all sorts of pitting due to not having the fluid moved around.

[censored], it could have been bad from the factory, I had a 9.5" 14 go 300k before it needed anything, and the shafts were still in fine shape.
Don't have any pic's is actually at the garage an back together so they could get it out of the bay. Was a 8.5 btw to the best of my knowing of this. Least that's what all the numbers point to for my vin and it is a 5 lug.

As seemed like the best deal, ordered a set of Dorman shafts PN: 630-100. Under that number each of these also comes with a new bearing, seal, and new lug studs.

Anyway, to get more to what happened, again, don't have pics but what I had wear was not the splines but the face area of the spot where the outer bearing is.

Basically could even move the shaft all around and finally was enough that the seal went and spewed axle fluid all inside the brake drum. Basically found out as I almost plowed right into a guy at a stop light.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
not off topic at all......its evidence of difference in add-paks per spec, which (if you read) was the bases of the question or concern. "is there any difference between GL-4, GL-5 ?". My post was not an EXACT reference hence"FWIW" but on topic none the less.

And until you have experienced the "brass synchro corrosion issue" with an AX-15,you probably shouldn't speak out of place! Maybe do some research on the issue, it's pretty common knowledge.

You might want to read these threads, especially the last one about Metal Deactivators.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231182#Post1231182

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729255#Post729255

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729289#Post729289

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=530292#Post530292

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: wsar10

You might want to read these threads, especially the last one about Metal Deactivators.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231182#Post1231182

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729255#Post729255

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729289#Post729289

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=530292#Post530292

I can see that your obviously bored and looking to argue, and I dont have time to play along or the lack of maturity. You insist on holding me to facts that i mentioned nothing of, this is alot simpler than the science of GL-4,5 (of in which I did not mention only a reference to GL-3 AGAIN HENCE "FWIW") this goes no further than your lack of understanding or comprehension of a post that you read.
crazy.gif

This is my last time mentioning AGAIN the obvious to you ! You have now made this thread about proving a point or arguing about a non existent argument..... My only disagreement with your trolling about my post is simply that it WAS on topic.

The information he provided was reasonbly on point and a targeted asnwer to the topic(s). Mola is well respected for his knowledge and direct experience in this industry. His posts were not trolling.

Everyone is welcome to disagree and debate, but not taunt.

Tread carefully, wsar10 ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G20G80
Hey guys, just to mention, I just ordered some fluid from my A/C Delco outlet but it kinda has a dif number and just thought as is dif topic, would start a new thread.

But just to mention, the number I read in the bulletin was GM: 89021677

The A/C Delco number is 10-4016 which then has the GM # 88900401

Both are 75W-90, both synthetic, both are GL-5, both are a quart, and both are mentioned to have grape scent.

Can't imagine its not the same stuff but at my Delco place got it for $18.00 a bottle.

Anyway, if any know if this stuff is not right, very welcome to post here or probably in the other thread.

Thanks again all.
Hey guys, not to bring up a bad thread as it seems to have gotten off point. But just wanted to post and quote my own post above that I used the Delco fluid I part numbered above and it seems to work very well. Def had the grape smell to it.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others

80,000 miles and the differential failed??? This should not have happened.

Here's a pic of the hypoid gears in a differential. Note how the axis of the input shaft is not in line with the center of the big gear--that's called hypoid. You can visualize that there is a lot of sliding of the gear teeth as the parts rotate. The GL-5 additives protect the metal from wear when one gear tooth is sliding along another--that's the purpose of this additive package.

HypoidGears.png

http://www.gears.com.pk/images/HypoidGears.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back