General Altimax RT Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought and had 4 new tires installed last night from the local tire shop...I also had an alignment done as I believe my car was out of alignment from the factory.

The Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires were down to 3/32" of tread after 29.6k miles and rain traction felt downright dangerous.

Michelin had a $70 rebate going on Energy A/S tires and were the cheapest but I didn't want a low tread rating tire (they were 440 I believe). My main option was the Continental PureContact Eco however they did not have in stock.

The guy behind the counter said they had General tires in my size in stock and the price seemed good to me so I had General Altimax RT 205/65R16 T rated tires installed.

I did my typical highway commute to work this morning and the tires are definitely quieter and they handle cracks and imperfections in the road surface very smoothly...I was impressed. It seemed like the old Michelins transmitted every road imperfection into the frame of the car. I'm not bashing Michelins...I would have gotten the Primacy MXV4 if they were available in my size.

I had awful tracking with the Michelins...the car would act like a very strong wind was blowing it from all sides on some uneven pavement and it does not happen with the General at all. The only thing I notice about the General is that turning and steering does not seem as "crisp" as it was with the Michelins...the Generals seem to be a softer tire with cushier steering. The Michelins definitely felt more sporty but then again I don't drive too aggressive to begin with.

The tread on the Altimax RTs is 10/32" and is certainly a beefy looking tire...they are rated 600 treadwear.

We may get snow early next week and I am excited to try them out on snowy roads. I've heard people claim they are great in snow and some claim they are terrible. I will have to see for myself.

I highly suggest anyone with even a new car to get an alignment...no doubt mine was out of alignment since I bought it. The car would sometimes require steering wheel correction in straight yet slightly uneven pavement.

So all in all I am satisfied with the new General tires for the price...the car is much more enjoyable to drive now. It never ceases to amaze how a new set of tires can make a car drive...even cheap(er) tires.

So far I have favorable opinions on the General Altimax RT and look forward to seeing how they perform as I put more miles on them. I can recommend them if you are looking for a good value tire that drives smooth on the highway...however if you want a sportier driving tire I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited:
When I look at customer review at Tirerack I like to read the ones with high mileage. If a tire has a tread life of 400 I look at reviews with around 25k-30k miles or more.
Almost all new tires are quieter with better ride ... than the almost bald.

I saw the GENREAL AltiMax RT's on an '02-'04 Altima like mine with 205-65-16 as with mine('05-'06-present changed to 215-60-16). The GenlAMx RT's really looked beefy(like a 225) compared to my Pirelli P4's(which I love BTW) but, I must admit, the P4's look skimpy by comparison but, the P4's are some of the best tires that I have ever owned
smile.gif

So I finally got to test these tires out in snow/ice conditions and I have to say I am pretty happy with how they grab in the snow. Judging by the tread and snow tracks I'd say the aggressive side-wall tread allows for good traction in light snow/slush.

I haven't tried them in deep snow yet but pretty much all all-season tires are lousy with more than an inch of snow on hills. (I am debating buying four 16" rims in my size and mounting snow tires next winter. I can buy rims for $60/piece. )

I have a 1,000+ miles on the Altimax RTs and am still very happy with them for a reasonably price tire. They really excel in wet conditions and I feel very confident with these tires.

Anyone have any experience with the tread life on these?

So far no bad belts or anything of that matter.

Char Baby, I had Pirelli Cinturatos (cheaper P4s) on my old Saturn and those tires ruled. Then again they were like a 165 width or something like that so they were like pizza cutters in the snow.

Good shot of the tread on Altimax RT. Mine also has a center "rib" in the P205 width

Last edited:
Char Baby, I had Pirelli Cinturatos (cheaper P4s) on my old Saturn and those tires ruled. Then again they were like a 165 width or something like that so they were like pizza cutters in the snow.

Yeah, I love'em!

I dont know about the RT, but the HP (directional, H rated, softer compound) is the only all season tire I've had that had some semblance of grip on ice. The pattern works well in snow.

Last edited:
Just replaced Bridgestone H/T D687 on my 05 Sportage EX with the Atlimax RT. very happy so far with the swap. Tire wear should far exceed the bridgestones (I'm lucky I got 35,000+ out of them) with better ride quality, higher temperature grade with only a small trade off in steering response and absolute grip.

A bit more wandering with these than the bridgestones but the reduction in noise, and increase in ride comfort is worth it. Almost went with Cooper CS4 Touring but just couldn't pull the trigger due to overall lack of information and reviews across the web.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
So I finally got to test these tires out in snow/ice conditions and I have to say I am pretty happy with how they grab in the snow. Judging by the tread and snow tracks I'd say the aggressive side-wall tread allows for good traction in light snow/slush.

I haven't tried them in deep snow yet but pretty much all all-season tires are lousy with more than an inch of snow on hills. (I am debating buying four 16" rims in my size and mounting snow tires next winter. I can buy rims for $60/piece. )

I have a 1,000+ miles on the Altimax RTs and am still very happy with them for a reasonably price tire. They really excel in wet conditions and I feel very confident with these tires.

Anyone have any experience with the tread life on these?

So far no bad belts or anything of that matter.

Good shot of the tread on Altimax RT. Mine also has a center "rib" in the P205 width

I put a set of Altimax RT, 225/60/16, on my previous 2006 Impala. They had to be replaced after about 25,000 miles as they became unsafe in rain and snow. Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Touring from Sam's Club and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

I haven't tried them in deep snow yet but pretty much all all-season tires are lousy with more than an inch of snow on hills. (I am debating buying four 16" rims in my size and mounting snow tires next winter. I can buy rims for $60/piece.

Might be a better deal to just order rims with the tires..
TR and DTD will roadforce mount and balance for free if you do.

and sometimes upto a 100$ rebate on 4 when purchased with 4 tires(with 100$ rebate).

usually around labor day.
can get 200-250$ off in rebates.

if you do get DTD dont buy their unique brand steelies.. they are not so great.

Tirerack steelies are decent.

Good luck with the Altimax RTs!

I am on my second set of Altimax HPs. The first set were fantastic, ran perfectly through their tread life without incident.

For $109 a tire, these really are a fantastic tire for the price.

Last edited:
Altimax RT 225/60-16 installed June 2011 at Walmart. $87.00 each free ship and free mounting. Purchased 7.50 lifetime balance and rotation.

Currently over 60K miles on them. No complaints. I run 5 psi over on them, so snow/ice traction is reduced. When snow is anticipated I reduce pressure, but have been lazy at times and noticed the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back